main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it true???

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jedi-Jade, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    So after some careful thought, I thought I'd pose this question here:

Do men only become friends with females when they believe the relationship will go further than friendship?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    No. I have lots of long-lasting and close friendships with girls (I guess at my age they're mostly women by now), and not just because I felt it couldn't go farther.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
  4. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I truly hope not but sometimes it feels that way.

5. Jedi-Jade

Nov 21, 1999
    Hermy.... ;)

6. Synecdoche

Synecdoche Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2001
  7. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Have to say Yes or sometimes.

8. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    No. I have many many guy friends who I would never consider dating and who would never consider dating me, but we have a great time. It's weird; it's almost like we don't see each other as "male" and "female" but more in androgenous way -- I simply think of them as "Hank" and "George" and I know they simply think of me as "Mary Ashton" and not as a girl, or as someone of the opposite sex. We all have a weird androgynous thing going on here! ;)

9. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    My best friend is the world is female. I would never risk what I have with her now for a physical relationship.

10. Obi_Wan_01

Aug 17, 2001
    There are like 3 girls that I like and we are all friends, but I don't know if they like me further than a friend.

BTW I am a guy

11. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Ditto, slacker. My best friend since Kindergarten (13 years! Mein gott) has been a guy, and there is no way I would risk our incedible friendship and almost sibling-like relationship (we're both only children) for something physical.

12. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I have friends who are guys and whom I'd never date and vice versa.

However, I have noticed that a lot of guys do just become friends to get into a relationship. You think you're establishing a friendship and then they turn out to want to have a relationship with you.

Which kinda sucks since I'm mostly just interested in having friends.

So it is possible, but not always necessarily true.

13. Obi_Wan_01

Aug 17, 2001
    I'd wish it came true.

14. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    No, no truthness.

15. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    Possibly. I fell in love with my closest female friend because I knew her so damn well. Ended up costing me two friends. Her and her fiance [face_plain]

My late grandmother told me I would marry my best friend. I've always believed that so whenever I've become really good friends with a woman my emotions get in the way. I guess it depends on the person.

16. Obi_Wan_01

Aug 17, 2001
    That is so true, emotions always get in the way.

17. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    What really sucks is when you start going out with a friend, and then a couple months later, she wants to go back to being just friends.

18. Jedi-Jade

Nov 21, 1999
    I would rather stay friends with a guy I really care about, rather than risk losing a friendship.

19. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    The problem is trying to be only friends with someone you care more deeply about.

20. DarkSide_Apprentice

DarkSide_Apprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2001
    I've seriously got to say No

Or not in my case anyway ;)

21. Jedi-Jade

Nov 21, 1999
    It's reassuring to know that guys aren't all in it for sex.....

22. Jay

Dec 1, 1998
    No, not all guys want a girl only for sex. I never had sex with my last girlfriend.

23. Obi_Wan_01

Aug 17, 2001
    It's love, beautiness etc.

24. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    There are always going to be people of both sexes who do this. They believe that the best way into your pants is through the proximity you maintain.

There will also always be those poor souls who feel that anyone of the opposite sex who gives them friendship is a possible candidate for something further.

Most people do not reside in this place though. They are simply looking for someone with similar interests and personalities that they can stand to be around.

That being said, and it tends to happen more on the male side, obviously, people will inherently develop strong feelings with someone of the opposite sex that they spend a great deal of time with. Not necessarily sexual feelings but feelings of deep friendship and a strong bond that manifests itself into feelings of love. Now, you can love your friend. Most people do. It's just that the line between loving them and "loving" them is mighty thin and easy to lose sight of.

So it happens. People fall in love with their best friends. It's the natural progression in our society. No species perpetuates itself through friendship.

25. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

The definitive word on this subject is contained in the film, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

Rent it, learn it, love it, live it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.