main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it wrong to make your own costume for a character

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by beezel26, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    For existence if a female were dressing up as Aayala Secura and decided not to use the same costume from the movie would it be ok.

Basically what I am trying to say is in the SW universe the characters didnt have three outfits for everything. They most likely had more.

Ladies you cant honestly tell me that all the female jedis didnt have a special outfit. You know the one for that special occasion. The little black dress they call it. perhaps the male jedis had a certain belt or robe they liked that was different.

And what about imperial forces. Is it possible they had a dress uniform for special occasions.

besides a jedis robes arent the best on the ice planet of Hoth.

So what do you think?

2. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    I say that nothing in costuming is ever "wrong". Costuming is all about fun and creativity. If you have an idea for a different costume for an established character, I say run with your idea and enjoy.

3. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    personally I don't see anythign wrong with it as long as you look like the character still and don't try to completely change the way the character looks (i.e. don't make aayla green, or mara jade have purple hair, lol)

4. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    there's nothing wrong with making a different costume for a given character, but if you wear it out, people may not be able to tell who you're dressed as

5. Cantina_Owner

Cantina_Owner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Look at how many different stormtrooper looks there are.
    I say, knock yourself out.

(in a good way)

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I agree, there are no rules in costuming unless you are trying to get into a certain group who has a strict set of rules. (for example, Rebel Legion may say your costume must be canon - a close replica of something actually made for the movie or TV specials).

Go for it and be creative!

- Kay Dee

7. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    I agree. I like to desing new costumes for the saga character all the time! I´m glad someone else thinks the same. :)

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The thing I see is to really do a different costume on a character you have to know their persona.

Then you can make it look good. To do a stormtrooper or something its a bit on the easy side.

but say a different outfit for a particular jedi would not be easy. You have to look at their personality before you attempt it.

Actually fanfiction writers could be of help. And of course costumers can help design outfits for particular characters in someones story.

9. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I think it's a great idea :)

Does this mean you will be joining us in costume at the Norwood Christmas Parade, or was it just a thought? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.