main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Jabba better left out of ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002

My view is yes because the CG is very poor and just after Greedo shows up it seems odd that Jabba is just outside...

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    [EDIT]

The thread subject was changed on me! [face_blush]

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it would be the ripe old age of 57 actually, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, what Qui Gon does is not for monetary gain. He's not earning any money out of the deal, he just wants to free Anakin from slavery. I think that Obi Wan using the Force to get out of having to pay for something would be wrong.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i also agree that he shouldnt have been put in.. i dont think it is very crucial to the plot, and as you said.. the CGI isnt that great... the scene doesnt bother me, but if i had the choice, i'd leave it out

5. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Yes,The only thing Jabba does is restate what Greedo has just said and Jabba's way too nice to Han and lets him step all over him(literally).

6. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Sorry I posted double of my other thread by mistake so I edited it to this topic on Jabba..

7. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001
    Jabba in ANH?

Take him away...

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, that post here was in the wrong thread. Sorry.

My answer to this question is that I liked not seeing Jabba until ROTJ because then he had a certain mystery to him, you know? You just hear his name thrown around and you never see how powerful as a crimelord he is, or isn't.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Toshistation

Toshistation Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    I agree that he should of been left out , It was cool to see more of Han but like said before the CGI sucks and is it just me or is Jabba made signifigantly smaller then he is in ROTJ .. I suppose he could of gained some weight between films but it just doesnt make sense that way... AND he's to damn nice in ANH I always got the impression that Jabba was a merciless tyrant not somebody who would let Solo walk over him.

"but i was going to the toshistation to pick up some power converters"

10. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I thought it added to Han's history, and to his character because you see what a smooth talker he is

I love how he BS's his way through the whole thing, "I've been waitin for ya Jabba"

Such a good liar, just makes me see Han as a cooler guy then I already did

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Jabba's appearance in ANH seems to lessen the intimidation factor of the character.

12. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked his appearance in ANH, but I could live without it. But if they keep it, they should definately redo Jabba, he looks too fake! And edit out the scene where Han steps on Jabba's tail.

13. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    His appearance in ANH didn't work at-all! It also conflicted with his personality. Look, if you were a cut throat Hutt gangster and someone stepped on your tail, wouldn't you kill that person on the spot?

If the character had changed in appearance to the extent that Jabba had between ANH and ROTJ (from a humanoid man to a giant slug), and the scene in ANH couldn't be changed without Han stepping on Jabba's tail, then they should have left the scene out.

14. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    ok i said this before. a easy way to not show han stepping on jabba is to cut to showing chewie or any other character just listening to jabba and han talk.

So when han is just about to go around jabba cut to someone else listening. When han reaches the other side of jabba just cut back to Jabba and Han. this way the audience would just think han walked in front of jabba not behind him.

simple as that. suprised no one at ILM thought of that.

15. A_Puppet_Yoda_Is

A_Puppet_Yoda_Is Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    It also bothered me how Jabba looked in ANH. It could possibly make sense that his appearance changed over time, but he looks more like his old ROTJ self in TPM than he does in ANH.

Also, the more I think about it, Han stepping on his tail doesn't bother me that much. I don't think it takes away from his cut throat qualities that much, becuase he always seemed kind of ridiculous anyway. He has a palace where he hangs out with his little puppet friends while creatures run around burping outside. To me, the whole Jabba part of the story is more cartoony and silly and makes Han stepping on his tail seem to fit in.

So, I think Jabbas part in ANH was a good idea, but special effects just didn't work.

16. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree. But the stepping on the tail part was just rediculous. It looked really fake. Just edit it differently and it would be fine. And redo the Jabba so he looks like TPM and ROTJ.

17. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I remember when I first saw it it really upset me, but the SE as a whole got me back into Star Wars so I appreciate it.
    I say leave it out, but no biggie.

18. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Keep it in!!!

All the uproar over Greedo shooting first has warped some peoples minds. This isn't some random CGI sequnence but an actual deleted scene shot back in '76!

I love the dialogue and Han in this scene, and quite frankly I don't care about Jabba not looking his best, the same way I don't care about the terrible Rancor effect in RotJ!!

How can a hardened Star Wars nut object to a cool delted scene like this? Effects don't matter.

19. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Gotta keep it in, cos:

1] It helps to enhances Han's character. It is important to understand that Han likes to pretend he a street-wise, fear-loving smuggler, with the ethics of the Devil - but in truth, Han does have morals - reinforced during the DS battle when he shots DV's TIE away. (Han's charcter is explored further in the novel and radio play)

2] It is a "missing" scene from the original shooting, but GL didn't know what Jabba would like like in '76.

3] It features Boba Fett - okay so he is digitally added to the original scene, but it now links Boba, Jabba and Han together - ready for the sub-plot in ESB and RotJ.

20. The_Dude_aka_Killroy

The_Dude_aka_Killroy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    Keep it in.

Whenever I watch the movies with non-fans they never understand what the heck Greedo is talking about. They always think that he is just a drunken trash talker lookin for a fight. People will ignore the name Jabba if they never get a face. That scene to me clearly sets up that Han is a wanted man better than Greedo ever did. Plus, I like the line, "Why did you fry poor Greedo?".

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Keep it. That scene was supposed to be there to begin with-it's in the novel of ANH, and in the script.

Jaws: Ridding the world's oceans of slutty hippies and annoying kids since 1975. Bite/ouch

22. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001
    Terrible scene.

23. not_entirely_stable

not_entirely_stable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2003
    Jabba is a vile gangster. He was so huge and disgusting in ROTJ that I thought he was too big and important to actually be mobile. Seeing him moving around the hangar in ANH was pathetic. I never thought that scene was necessary, because I always thought the absence of Jabba in ANH and ESB added to the mystery of Jabba the Hutt. Jabba was never seen until ROTJ before then and it was better seeing him for the first time there.

I always thought after seeing the SE that it would have been better if Jabba were at his palace, with Han walking around talking to a floating screen (like a mobile transmission). Then Jabba would seem too important to go out and do the lame dirty work that he hires his henchmen to take care of. But still this idea is crackpot, and I'd rather see the whole scene eliminated.

Oh, and he was animated too small [and poorly to boot], and the voice was mechanical.

24. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    I just dont see how it adds anything to the movie and the part where Boba Fett looks into the camera is...well....insulting.

25. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    It does make Jabba seem a lot more small-time if he has to do his own shakedowns (which very well may have been how he was envisioned at the time the script was written). If he's beefed up and the tail-step move is removed, it would be easier to argue on plot grounds if it should stay or go, but right now I'd get rid of it just so I didn't have to look at that scrawny slug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.