main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Jacen a good fighter?(*SBS spoiler included*)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthZekk, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthZekk

DarthZekk Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2001
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOLD the flames for a second, think about it. Jacen does not really want to fight yet he still smashes the warmaster and the

****************SBS SPOILER***************

voxyn queen, can you imagine what he would do if he really wanted to kill someone?

2. Darth Cerberus

Darth Cerberus Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 1999
    He may be a fighter, but he's a pathetic tactician.

After only a few seconds of thought, the boy proposes at plan for breaking the Talfaglio blockade by sending three Star Destroyers to the NR Senate itself! Not only do we quickly find out that the Vong have prepared for this possibility - and even if they hadn't, they would have quickly done so courtesy of their informants in the NR senate, but there is the far more pressing question of where Jacen's ethical concerns about killing are in this episode.

How exactly does he think the 3 SDs will wipe out the blockade? By what means? How many thousands of people are on a single Star Destroyer? Jacen opposes the Jedi strike team mission, but quite happily proposes sending thousands of people on a - even before we know the Vong are far better strategists than little Jacen Solo - highly dangerous mission with only minimal information and planning.

Jacen hasn't changed a bit. This is the same utter disregard of any lives that are not his own or his close friends or family that he demonstrated at Centrepoint. He's great at pointing out other people's failings, but I count four separate occasions now where he's been told he is arrogant, and each time he reacts with genuine suprise. He may be a good fighter but he's an absolute master of denial.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    It depends on the size of the blockade. You don?t need a lot firepower to subdue mostly weaponless refugee ships. All you need is an Interdictor, a couple of Coralskippers, and maybe a frigate or two incase something nasty does come up. The Vong were not devoting huge portions of their war fleet to hunting down refugees, because there was no need to.

Given what he knew, it was a valid proposition. You?ll notice that the senators actually took it into consideration and did a casual vote on it, deadlocking. And you cannot blame him for not knowing what Viqi Shesh was. No one knew. I think that if Anakin or Kyp had proposed a daring strike mission behind enemy lines with little or no knowledge of what was ahead (*cough*Seventeen Jedi walk into almost certain death with nothing to go on but the chance finding of some leaves in the stomach of a Ysalamiri*cough*) that you would not complain; it is only because it is Jacen that you accuse him of arrogance. Jacen saw a possible way to save a lot of people with minimal losses to his own side.

There'll probably be more from me later, but yes, Jacen is a good fighter. But no, if he actually wanted to fight I believe that he wouldn't be so good.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

A Star Destroyer, if fully crewed, has almost 40,000 people on board, times 3, that's 120,000 people.

5. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    Yes he's an amazing fighter, more subtle than Anakin I think. I can only see him getting more and more powerful following his brother's death.

6. Jedi-Master-Harsh

Jedi-Master-Harsh Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2001
    well i think Jacen is not I good fighter at all. but this realy got me MAD!!!!!! Y would they kill Anakin! He was great i'v read all the new jedi order books he was the best in all of the. A great fighter ..... and a lot more so y kill him??????????/

Would some body tell me that at least? O I hate Jacen he is a cowerd.

7. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Wow, such hatred for a character that simply does not like to kill.

Whether Jacen believes it or not, whether we consider him arrogant or not, the GFFA hinges on his decisions and actions more than we may think.

Certainly, Jacen is a great fighter, but I think he understands that "wars are not what makes one great" better or as well as any other Jedi.

8. DarthZekk

DarthZekk Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2001
    Also have you all heard Galdolf the Grey's theory about things? He says that now that Jacen is

*SPOILER*************************************

captured that things will come full circle. Since Jaina will be surrounded by friends and family she will be healed, but Jacen will be surrounded by enemies and tortured, so he will break and be able to be turned, then Jaina will be forced to bring him back

9. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    DarthZekk, you've already put the spoiler tag on the topic, so I don't believe you need to put in the actual post ;).

Anyhow, yeah, I've read Gandolf the Grey's theory. We'll see, but I disagree. At the end of SbS, Han wants to save the twins when Leia senses that both are in trouble. Leia stops him and says that the twins must save each other. I truly believe this means Jaina rescues Jacen from the YV and Jacen rescues Jaina from the dark side. I also think some sort of confrontation is inevitable. Jaina blames Jacen for Anakin's death in part. And even after rescuing Jacen, I don't believe she will forgive Jacen for that until she comes to terms with Anakin's death and with the dark side.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I believe Gandolf the Grey's theory. He seems to be a pretty clever guy to me.

Although, Vergere's theory is the second best that I've seen ;) Hopefully, one of us Jacen fans has got it right. :D

11. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
  12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Is Jacen a good fighter?

"Is, like, Schwarzenegger hard to spell?" -- Michaelangelo

13. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    [face_laugh]

I couldn't have said it better, Mastadge. :)

No, Jacen is not a good fighter. Jacen is an amazing fighter. Although he does not like to kill, when forced to do so, his power is incredible. We saw evidence of this all the way back in Vector Prime, and were given undeniable proof of his abilities in Balance Point and Star by Star. Towards the end of SbS, he seemed to have come to peace with the fact that killing is necessary in war (in a large part due to Anakin), so hopefully this will be a continuing trend (and future authors won't forget that these events took place). It's always awesome when Jacen fights. :)

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Jacen is the second most dangerous type of fighter. Anakin fought with passion, aye, he "fought very bravely and died very quickly" in the words of a masked man. Jacen tends to consider his actions more, think about the consequences, and keep some sort of calm during a fight. The only more dangerous fighter would be if he was a berserker who didn't care if he lived or died.

15. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Interesting way to put it, Mastadge:
    Jacen tends to consider his actions more, think about the consequences, and keep some sort of calm during a fight.
    Isn't reaching this calm and inner peace what being a Jedi is all about? Considering the consequences of your actions thoroughly and fighthing calmly and with an inner peace I would argue is more "powerful" than fighting with vigor and passion.

It is in fact one of the points Jacen makes in Vector Prime.

16. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Jacen is not only a good fighter, he's a good Jedi, who comes further with every book. I mean, I like Jaina very much too, but
    spoiler.
    when Ani dies she doesn't really handle it very well, to put it delicately. Jacen has to be the adult.

And now he's with Vergere, which should prove very interesting.

17. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Must... revive... Jacen threads ;)
    And now he's with Vergere, which should prove very interesting.
    Vergere definitely appears to be the trump card here. Throughout SbS, Vergere aids Jacen and is really impressed by his abilities. On the other hand, when Vergere witnesses Jaina's Force Lightning, Vergere is somewhat disappointed.

Since Vergere could really turn the tide in this war, she will do it with Jacen. Interesting that now Jacen is connected with both Tsavong Lah - who could become a Shamed One now - and Vergere. We shall see some great things from Jedi Knight Jacen Solo, yes :D

18. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    i hate jacen and wished he'd died instead of anakin... but i must admit that when he wants to he can whoop it on and is a good fighter.

But he will never be great because he is unwilling to kill the enemy at any time which is what is necessary in war. If you don't believe that, it is because you have no clue what war is like and don't know any better.

19. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    What about one of Yoda's most famous axioms: Wars are not what makes one great. What about Luke's refusal to fight Vader even though Obi-Wan & Yoda urged him to? What about countless other Star Wars stories striving for peace and redemption?

IMO, it take far greater courage and strength not to fight during a time of war when all of your peers - including the enemy - deems you coward for doing so. It's easy to raise a saber as a Jedi against everything seemingly evil. Far more difficult to strive for a peace with that evil. In Jedi Eclipse, Jacen promised he will find an answer without having to raise a saber or deflect one raised at you. That is greatness. And Jacen will achieve it.

20. Quiwan

Jun 29, 2000
    "What about one of Yoda's most famous axioms: Wars are not what makes one great"

See my signature.

True, it is better to look for peace when it is a possibility, but when there will be no peace with your enemy you have to fight.

"IMO, it take far greater courage and strength not to fight during a time of war when all of your peers - including the enemy - deems you coward for doing so."

Words of a coward to make themselves feel better for not fighting when they should have.

"In Jedi Eclipse, Jacen promised he will find an answer without having to raise a saber or deflect one raised at you. That is greatness. And Jacen will achieve it."

That is arrogance and he's already achieved it.

21. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    See my signature.

I will answer that by saying, see my signature.

True, it is better to look for peace when it is a possibility, but when there will be no peace with your enemy you have to fight.

Even you admitted that Jacen is a very good fighter. How would you know that if he had not fought when it was necessary?

Words of a coward to make themselves feel better for not fighting when they should have.

I think that you outlined the Vong perspective perfectly with that statement.

22. Quiwan

Jun 29, 2000
    "I will answer that by saying, see my signature."
    What? Not sure I get what you are wanting me to see.

"Even you admitted that Jacen is a very good fighter. How would you know that if he had not fought when it was necessary?"

He has fought some, and when he did he was very good. But he has not fought whenever it was necessary or taken action when he should have.

"I think that you outlined the Vong perspective perfectly with that statement."

Not just the vong.

23. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "Even you admitted that Jacen is a very good fighter. How would you know that if he had not fought when it was necessary?"

He's fought occasionally when it was necessary, but not always. The problem is, what Jacen deems as necessary and what the rest of the galaxy would call necessary are cleary not the same thing. What are the two largest examples of Jacen's fighting skills? I would say against Tsavong Lah in BP and killing the queen in SBS. Would Jacen have deemed it necessary to fight Lah if it had been some nameless Duro and not his mother whose life was being threatened? Even Anakin admits, in Rebirth, that if it hadn't been Leia, Jacen wouldn't have fought back.

In SBS, he went on the mission just to look out for Anakin and Jaina, he didn't want to go. When the oppurtunity did arise for him to kill the queen, he didn't have much choice. Failing to at least attempt to kill the queen after so many, including his own brother, had sacrificed there lives for this goal, would have been incredibly stupid. But what about the fall of Duro, or a hundred other battles, didn't the people who died there deserve to be fought for? Sure Jacen is not above fighting completely, and when he does fight he is very good. His concern for the Jedi Order is admirable, and his intentions are pure, but his equal lack of concern for the worlds lost and the people dying is startling.

24. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    What? Not sure I get what you are wanting me to see.

Quiwan, a person can not be judged to be evil. Only that person?s actions can be judged that way. And so, war does not make a person evil either.

He has fought some, and when he did he was very good. But he has not fought whenever it was necessary or taken action when he should have.

That?s your opinion. It's not a fact.

25. Quiwan

Jun 29, 2000
    "A person can not be judged to be evil. Only that person?s actions can be judged that way. And so, war does not make a person evil either."

So basically, you are agreeing with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.