main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is JJ good for Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Do you want JJ in the future?

1. Yes.

53.3%
  2. No.

46.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    After seeing Episode 7 and having fallen in love with it. I must ask people the question .... Is JJ good for star wars?

Let me explain why I ask this before I get accused of being either a fanboy of JJ or a JJ hater.

JJ's movie was good....very good. But if you look at the film factually and not avoiding the flaws of it (Films are made by humans, and thus ALL OF THEM have mistakes)

Welllllll yeah you see the movie is, well unoriginal. JJ himself admitted this and even said it was intentional to make sure they do the OT cast right.

I don't mind it this one time, but we no more rehash films. No episode V wanna be in episode 8.

Personally if I could help make a star wars movie, I'd have something that I think is VERY important. Something I think people should have, especially when you're proving the ne owners can do it right. And that thing is called AMBITION!

JJ and the team didn't try to do anything new or original. The film is just a rewrite of things from the older films and a LTO from the EU.

I personally think JJ needs to stay away from star wars. I don't find him respectful enough of the franchise, or ambitious enough and he seams like he has no ideas of his own. I like TFA but JJ needs to go for me. He didn't do anything to help, he simply didn't do anything universally seen as garbage. It's good not to make mistakes but what's the point of doing this if you're not bringing anything to the table? Don't give me a plain Pizza. Give me pepperoni and bacon.

Sepra, guittarjedi and B99 like this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    In a word. NO.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    JJ is as good for Star Wars as he has been for Star Trek.

(I think this qualifies as an objective observation but I leave it up to everybody whether that's really a good thing or not...)

4. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Edit: Well if you don't like JJ and Star Wars going together, at this point you have to ask yourself how much "damage" you think he might do as a producer, going forward. If Johnson is writing and directing episode 8, and writing 9, will JJ have much of an impact on that? Or are you concerned about JJ Star Wars projects outside of the ST?

5. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I think what he gives us and what we want and needs are two different things.

What we want/need- Someone who captures and mimicks the imagination style of George lucas and his writing style. That's why we fell in love with star wars when we first saw that first movie....

What JJ actually gives us-mimicking what George wrote. not his style of writing and his imagination but his literals scripts.

JJ has shown he isn't inventive and is kinda like the anti lucas. He has shown no creativity and fresh ideas while lucas made a whole universe that's diverse full of characters.

George wanted to do something new, JJ wanted to play it safe. This is why I don't like JJ as a director for star wars. He also put pegg in the film, a known hater of star wars which was disrespectful to fans/ lucas himself. That's how I feel.

guittarjedi, StoneRiver and B99 like this.
  6. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    @Knights of Ben I like star wars. just not JJ's existence in it. I just mean in the future in general. Also nice name. Another fellow star wars pun name XD

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yes,, and no..
    But If he was gonna direct another one, id be ok with it, As long as hes not doing Ep X..
    TFA 2.0!:cool:

8. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    B99 Well the way I se it, it'd be Episode lV 3.0 :p

I'd watch it, but it'd be a waste of a opportunity for a star wars fan with some ambition who could make something great.

guittarjedi and B99 like this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh, that's right!! Can't wait for Death Star..., I've lost count..

guittarjedi likes this.
  10. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Is this thread just another excuse to have the same pointless argument we've been having everywhere else on this board? Does anyone have anything new to say?

11. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Actually my grammar is slightly lacking there, as I meant "JJ and Star Wars together" - it wasn't supposed to imply that you didn't like either! Time for an edit methinks.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    From what I've been seeing, nope. :rolleyes:

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    He has shown fresh ideas, most of which are massively controversial on this forum (a script that relies on implication, showing-not-telling, and audience attention spans rather than thudding exposition for every theme and character's thought, Rey's force abilities, Kylo being decidedly un-Vadery, the OT heroes not being together in happily-ever-after fanservice, a stormtrooper becoming a hero, Han and Leia's son being truly evil and killing his father, Han finally affirming the force, learning the value of selfless sacrifice by naming his son after one such hero and then following that hero's example.)

And just in general, Rey, Finn, Kylo, Maz and Poe are interesting characters that reflect fresh ideas and diversify the Star Wars universe, but that's just my opinion.

14. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    @Stoneymonster It's just a thread man, chill. It's no to argue or attack. We have a thread page for hating on TFA. I just want to have discussion and debate on JJ himself. If you can't take constructive criticism you should leave. Not in a rude way but in a this is gonna be full of that. It'll just upset you and annoying people isn't the goal here. You're more then welcome to share your thoughts on why you like JJ for star wars.

Another side's arguments can often help strengthen and or stimulate your point of view. heck you may sway me, but demonizing this topic as just hating isn't productive.

StoneRiver likes this.
  15. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
  16. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

:rolleyes:

AmySolo likes this.
  17. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I agree on poe being fresh and new, but Kylo is just Luke's struggle with the dark side as internal not external. Rey being easily adept in the force is just like Luke. Also there's things I could go on about, like Han affirming the force. I'm pretty sure he accepted it in the OT, even if he didn't say it out loud. It's hard not to be sceptic after what he went through. I mean he did have his gun yanked out of his hands with the force...after his bullets were made to NOTHING with the force. I do agree about Poe though, he's creative new and great. Rey is awesome but new?No. Kylo looks like Darth Revan and even uses light and dark sides of the force like him. He mimicks jacen solo, and in universe he's a Vader coppy. It's fine to like these characters but.....most of tfa isn't new or fresh, its very unoriginal ideas presented in a fun way.

guittarjedi likes this.
  18. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Lets not forget that he isnĀ“t the only one working on the movie, the writers and the people of Disney and Lucasfilm all contribute to and carry parts of the responsibility for the film.
    I would welcome him back even as a director, they established the new trilogy with TFA and the new episodes will be less tied to the OT regardless of who ist the director.

19. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Colm that's talking about. him and speclating him and such. If a mod deams it to be merged, they'll merge it but this is for solely talking about his future with star wars and if we need or want him, not speculating if he'll be good.

@Stoneymonster Yeah, I'm the one being ridiculous. You made valid points..oh wait XD

20. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Valid point, but he is the writer and dircector and was responsible basically for the story and it's presentation. It's not just him but he's a big part of it. He didn't bring anything new to the table unless he's the one who thought up poe.

21. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I liked it enough to see it 5x, pre-ordered the blu-ray and get goose prickles during the same scenes over and over again.

So, yes give me more Abrams.

[​IMG]

22. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    This forum is for TFA, there is one for the other movies or the saga as a whole. Maybe you could ask a mod to move your thread to one of those places.

Ricardo Funes and AmySolo like this.
  23. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Any director would have a daunting task in reigniting the Star Wars franchise. Continuing the new saga needed to satisfy the complaints of some of the other episodes and reinforce the appreciation of others, it needed to endear a new generation of fans, it needed to spark multiple viewings among existing fandom, it needed to justify Disney's huge investment in Lucasfilm, and also needed to successfully set up two more saga films. Arndt, then Abrams and Kasdan, needed to establish a satisfying arch (under the auspices and influence of Kennedy and Lucasfilm) and script a movie that not only checked off all those boxes, but do so in a manner that would lay the foundation for Disney's perceived right to continue the entire Star Wars Universe.

The film has been wildly successful financially, multiple viewing are very apparent by the record setting numbers, and even in our age of social media contrarian comment for its own sake, the seemingly obligatory backlash has been minimal in comparison to the overwhelming acceptance based on critical review and people voting with their money.

TFA was not just Abrams, it was and is Lucas (no matter what he says, some of his earlier ideas are incorporated), Arndt (his too), Kennedy, Abrams, Kasdan ... even McQuarrie, etc. The fact that Abrams is one of the executive producers for VIII only speaks of insuring continuity for what has proven to be a success in a very difficult task.

24. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Most definitely! ^ in a nutshell! excellent post dragonsnake.

Ricardo Funes and JediLight like this.
  25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    J.J. Abrams made the choice to become an overseer of sorts of the whole franchise, or at least this trilogy, and everything that goes with it. I'm not sure how involved he is in the other movies. He's a fan with a nostalgic eye, and whether you like this particular movie's storyline or the characters or whatever, he has a dedication to having a particular plan and respecting Star Wars in ways other directors or producers wouldn't, and he just might serve as a possible buffer to the corporation along with Kathleen Kennedy. I think his clout could be behind getting some people involved. But then I know some fans want Star Wars to be Guardians of the Galaxy or Lord of the Rings or they have more familiarity with the books and the parodying Family Guy crap, so I don't expect everyone to understand. Heck, just the casting of Daisy Ridley shows he is good for Star Wars. He also knows when to hold back, as he decided not to direct the next movies and helped choose the next directors. That keeps things interesting in another way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.