main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is JJ good for Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Do you want JJ in the future?

1. Yes.

53.3%
  2. No.

46.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    He was given an impossible task. Fix a franchise that to the "general population" (not some fans), believed lost its luster. He did it and it was successful. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Lucas was trying to be ambitious with the PT and look at what happened. Was JJ safe? yes,. Was the story unoriginal, yes. But I am not going to complain when Star Wars has once again asserted its cultural dominance. Something I haven't felt since 1998 in the lead up to TPM.

2. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Brilliant post.

Honestly this is what frustrates me the most. There was a million ways this could have went sooo bad. But they nailed it. It's not perfect, but it's damn close.

Abrams and Disney needed to develop new characters that we are vested in. Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren are fantastic new personalities. These new characters will carry the torch going forward. They also needed to integrated the oldies (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy) where it makes sense. We didn't need another trilogy of those characters going on adventures together. We have seen that already. They need to make the stakes large again (fallen Skywalker heir, First Order). Without conflict, there isn't a story gang.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No. He is a good filmmaker but not a good stroyteller, which is essential in Star Wars. TFA was way too derivative.

Evening Star and guittarjedi like this.
  4. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I thought JJ could be good for SW, but no he's not.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    2B USD and 92% RT score.

This is all you need to know.

AmySolo and JediLight like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    There was nothing to fix. His task was to continue the franchise. Just a minor point that I thought needed to be distinguished.

Evening Star likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

Of course there were things to fix. A quick look at RT shows that. We are talking about general public reception.

8. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    So Rotten Tomatoes is the only thing that determines the public's opinion on a movie? It's a critics website. Most people I know don't take critics that seriously, they prefer to decide for themselves.

9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

That's why they have an audience score.

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    JJ just guaranteed us Star Wars geeks many more years of Star Wars and for that I will be forever grateful.

DaddlerTheDalek and AmySolo like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    No. Abrams reflects everything that's bad in Hollywood, although I think he's a smart fella. The celebration of mediocrity, populism and path of least resistance to the $. Why make new films, with new ideas, when you can spend your life making sequels and remakes (all in my opinion of course)? The McDonaldisation of Star Wars.

guittarjedi likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    It's also been proven that Rotten Tomatoes audience scores are pretty easy to rig, so I don't take them at face value.

Darth PJ and guittarjedi like this.
  13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    For the franchise's new beginning? Yes. I think he anchored fans to the spirit of the franchise and I think that more creativity will certainly come about from there.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can't answer that question until I've seen the whole trilogy.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Click

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.