main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Is Knights of the Old Republic franchise canon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by StarWarsIsMyLife, Dec 19, 2015.

1. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    There's very little ambiguity as far as what constitutes the new canon and what does not. That being said, on StarWars.com, in the "Game & Apps" section of the website, KotOR is prominently displayed, along with a bunch of other games that constitute the new canon. I was a tad surprised, given that anything pre-Disney and pre-new canon was essentially swept away into the dustbin of "Legends."

If KotOR is canon, however, this poses a conundrum of sorts. The backstory of KotOR draws heavily from other EU/Legends works, so KotOR's canon status would make a whole host of other EU/Legends works canon as well. Actually, this isn't that big of a problem, since the new rules regarding what's canon and what isn't is more a matter of storylines rather than details.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It should be, but it's not.

3. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No it is not. Lucasfilm has plans for this era, though, no doubt. In TFA visual dictionary they mentioned Kylo's lightsaber is an ancient design dating back to the Siege of Malachor. I think they're taking bits and pieces from the Old Republic era and will eventually build a story around it.

4. Jedi of Mandalore

Jedi of Mandalore Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I really hope they go back to the TOR era. It is my favorite. I think EA would be stupid not to capitalize on the Star Wars hype. KOTOR 3 needs to happen. Fallout 4 shows that a WRPG can have massive success and the Mass Effect franchise was no slouch.

I want TOR books and games. Hell, I'd be happy if they decided to canonize some of the old stuff.

5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    But the Swtor and Kotor are connected with the Kotor comics....Zayne Carrik station? and Swtor borrows heavily from the EU aka Legends dustbin.

And Disney ant keen on the EU if you get my drift, I mean they didn't just Decanonize everything post RotJ

6. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    None of the Kotor comics are canon either. I think at the moment, TOR is so much pre-OT that you don't really need to worry about if it's canon or not.

Darkslayer and BadCane like this.
  7. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Officialy it's not canon, but like you said, it's so distant in the past that people dont even bother to confirm or deny anything..

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    It doesn't truly matter what Disney says; you just can't erase hundreds of (fictional) years of stories for a new trilogy set after ROTJ which, so far (Ep VII) features little lore...
    the way I see it, this new trilogy will ignore (aka, won't contradict) the EU before Ep I (even Ep VII ignores the lore of the prequels other than the word "Sith"), so the Old Republic is alive and well...(the era which I like to call "SW's Silmarillion")
    damn, right now I live in two different eras at the same time: TFA and TOR's KOTFE...

Agent M and darthdave1271 like this.
  9. darthdave1271

darthdave1271 Jedi Master

May 24, 2002

Nice LOTR nod. I like you sir. I'll buy you a Coke.

MoffJacob likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This. :(

11. Jedi Covenant

Jedi Covenant Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    No, because Disney doesn't want us to think, they want us for forever believe in the Black and White morality of the OT. Jedi, rebels good, Sith, Empire Evall!!!!!! They will churn that logic to the death and they will never replicate the grey morality of the prequels and the EU. They will only please the kids and the OT purists into their view easily since the prequel was not the OT and make them buy their toys, Disney won.

12. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Damn you to hell, Bob Iger, your greed destroy a once Grand American Cinema and ruin Disney's principles of the value of employees over profits and traditional animation.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And your proof for that is what exactly?

There has been one movie released during that time. ONE. No need to freak out and declare the world to end soon just becauseone release acted in a certain way.
    And seriously, everything is black and white? did you even watch the movie? Adam Driver's character alone is proof that this isn't the case, to say more would be a spoiler, so I'm not going there.
    Not that the morality of the people ever really changed. Doesn't matter whether it is OT, PT or ST, they all share a similar morality. The bad guys think they are correct, and that only they can bring order and stability to the galaxy. There is some ambiguity due to characters trying to achieve something not for the sake of evil, but for the sake of order, but that's where all that supposedly "grey" stuff ends. Misguided evil is still evil, regardless of how much you want to twist it into something else.

14. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    please, he's just an even more whinny brat of Anakin, like grandfather like son.This is just a cookie cutter attempt of what a suppose kylo ren's gray morality is, cook up by a mediocre director. This movie feels so dated, and I'm freaking out because this is one of many of crappy Disney's Star Wars.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The prequels were stupid and people should feel stupid for liking it. This has nothing to do with games though, and I hated how they pandered to the moron prequel crowd by allowing evil powers to be used in some games with no consequence.

No, KOTOR is not canon. Sorry. The EU is dead (lol) and that's awesome. The only thing better than the EU being put down was how many neckbeards can't cope with it and are upset. That bit is glorious.

16. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Well you can go **** yourself you casual. You're the reason Star Wars was in Disney's hands, I hope you're proud of yourself, this movie cater to only film fans and casuals that can not read.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lol

I still have Heir to the Empire from 1991. When I first bought it. That, and the first four to five X-Wing novels, were actually the only decent books. The rest were just ham fisted stupidity writ large.

If it hadn't been people like me, who grew up on the OT when it was still in theatres, buying those books Del Rey would never have hired it and spent literally no money hiring hacks to write hack stories. So your exposure to the EU was contingent on my buying into it early on and abandoning it when it forgot it was a space opera.

"Casual". Such lol. The Force Awakens reminded us what Star Wars should be, after the prequels and EU stuffed it up.

Life likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I have to agree that good EU novels were few and far between.

19. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    You like the rest of the Star Wars casuals, hating the lore and saying it's stupid without reason, just because it didn't go your way like the prequels, and you only read what 10 in total before giving up. LOL, you are a casual for liking this because literally it's a new hope just updated and trendy for this time, of course you only being OT purist like most of these men children, you'll accept only the OT which only shows a drop in the sea of Star Wars stories and has the same quality as the EU which you hate. You're a hypocrite and I hope Disney destroy Star Wars just to see you OT purists suffer like the babies you are.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TFA contradicts Tython being the Jedi homeworld, so TOR can't be canon.

21. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    bull****, did you literally read ever book, ever comic, play every game, watch every film (ewok films included) watch every televisions series 08 and 03 clones wars. If not, then you can not say the EU as an whole is lackluster compare to what Disney has done so far and trust me, Disney will create even worse **** as canon to Star Wars and you fools would accept and eat it all up, like Han's death.

22. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    It doesn't matter, in Disney opinion it was never canon to begin with.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Dear Angry and Semi-Literate Child

It is adorable that you think TFA is a rehash of ANH - an accusation leveled against TPM upon its release - as it shows quite clearly you think ANH wasn't, itself, a rehash of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortess and Joseph Campbell's theory of the monomyth.

In the words of O'Shea Jackson, you had best check yo self before you wreck yo self.

For your information, I read every Bantam as it was published. Assuming you weren't around then. I played WEG RPG when 2nd was having new material released. I played Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, X-Wing/TIE Fighter when they were new games. I read every novel, save Clone Wars because the prequels were stupid and I didn't feel like sinking down to the level of, say, a chimpanzee to have to enjoy it. I stopped reading about... maybe 1 or 2 books before the end of Legacy of the Farce. I tried the Kanan/Sabine one, it was crap. I tried aftermath but it's not grabbing me.

Oh and I can tell you're one of the fans who came to Star Wars when it was mega popular because by TV series you cite the **** Clone Wars series and not Ewoks and Droids. When you're a grown up you'll realise the prequels are only likable by stupid people, and you'll be ashamed of what you once were.

Many lulz

Grown Up Fanboy #1138

Darth_Invidious, Life and BombBurro like this.
  24. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Goodbye Sir Meltdown.

25. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    What do you mean you accepted all of it, 1977-2012, as a whole? That is not possible. Do you know how many EU stories contradict each other? Or how many EU stories were rendered obsolete because they were contradicted by Lucas when the prequels were released? It is literally impossible to reconcile all of the EU. The continuity doesn't match up.

And how are you suffering? If you prefer the post-RotJ era as depicted in the EU, then simply don't watch the new films and have the novels that you like as your canon. As if Disney has taken control of your head. You do realise it's all fiction? You can decide whatever you like to be true in your canon. You don't need to purge Tales of the Jedi from your mind because Disney says so.