main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Is Knights of the Old Republic franchise canon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by StarWarsIsMyLife, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "You will sufer the way I... have."

Look, I think the best response here is to quote Napalm Death:

"You suffer... but why?"

Disney won't destroy it - they've done two awesome things. One - they made TFA, which upset all the worst people by having a black man (gasp!) and a woman (GASP AGAIN BUT LOUDER) as the leads. Two, they took the EU out back and said, "look how beautiful this sunset is" before a single shot rang out and it was kicked into the flimsiest estimation of a shallow grave.

If KOTOR is rendered not canon, good. You cannot make a delicious, BB-8 and Rey filled omelette without breaking some eggs. I liked TOR. My smuggler was particularly awesome. But, again, he's sacrificed for the greater good - the EU's death.

As for Disney, no. When you turn 18 you might get to go to some sort of presumably state-run university. There you might learn a bit about commerce, and from there you'll understand that actually Disney has a long term view. They go long on their assets. Disney is about to lose exclusivity on their "iconic" characters (Mickey et al) which, when it was clear they were not going to be able to keep extending the period under which copyright applies, triggered their purchase of two (2.5?) tentpole franchises that would see Disney providing long term ROI to shareholders - Marvel and Star Wars. See, if they wanted a quick buck they'd hire talentless hacks like Del Rey did and turn out utterly, mind-bendingly awful dreck which was sold to a fairly mindless and uncritical fan base who kept buying these terrible stories about octogenarian Luke and his retirement home friends. But, no. They want Star Wars to be popular in 30 years time, and for that 30 years to remain popular. The way to do this is to flush the abortion of the prequels, get rid of the silly and badly written/planned EU, and stop telling "thrilling" stories about every fan's favourite piece of wood, Mannequin Skywalker. They know the OT is the only worthy trilogy (so far) so they re-focused the brand on that. Hence, Rebels. Hence, an ST which doesn't at all acknowledge the prequels. It's great. Disney have built a foundation for good Star Wars for decades to come. And the garden flowers so well because the EU's decomposing corpse is excellent fertiliser. It's that mix of unhealthy diets, neckbeards, sweat, and a psychological weakness that prohibits proper grieving. Really helps the flowers grow.

I am now looking at my original Jedi Knight CDs. Not canon. That's ok, back when it came out - many years before you were born - it was never considered canon anyway.

In short, Prequels = Bad, EU = Dead, TFA = amazing, and the OT = better before the SEs.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

No, because I'm not obsessed with it. But I know good writing and many of the EU novels were written with an obvious lack of effort or imagination. The sheer number of typos running throughout the NJO series alone is a telltale sign of poor quality.

The only time I had a gripe with something being "erased" from Star Wars history was when Cartoon Network's original Clone Wars mini-cartoons were replaced by the CGI series by the same name. CN's Clone Wars was superior to the entire Prequel Trilogy, imo.

Darth_Invidious and Life like this.
  3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Did those become decanonised? The events of the last few episodes lead directly to ROTS. :confused:

4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I was under the impression that they were replaced in SW Canon by The Clone Wars CGI film/series.

5. Math1eson

Math1eson Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2015

Liberty must have died again, because all I can hear is thunderous applause. Bravo.
    [​IMG]

Exomnius, darklordoftech and Life like this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I will say this though: EU Anakin Skywalker > PT Anakin Skywalker

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    This thread really shows how broken the Star Wars fandom is. It's honestly pretty devastating.

Regardless, to actually answer the OP:

Knights of the Old Republic was a fantastic game, and it got an intriguing but rushed sequel. It's not canon anymore--well, it's honestly debatable as to whether it ever was canon--but that doesn't stop you from playing it or enjoying it. I do it myself. Eventually, Disney will go back to the well and they'll pull something from this timeframe because, well, money. It's an era of time ripe for expansion in the Star Wars universe, and they'll milk it as long as we buy it.

Thankfully, Disney seems to have a knack for getting people that actually know what they're doing. I admit that I was pretty worried about Rogue One as Gary Whitta is an absolutely terrible screenwriter who has made some of the worst movies of the last fifteen years--to the point I honestly would have prefered Ehren Kruger--but eventually they sobered up and got a Weitz brother. He's a bit hit or miss himself, but his screenwriting efforts have been top notch.

What was I saying? Anyways, yes: KOTOR was great, Disney will pull something from it eventually, and I'm sure that whatever they make during that time period will continue to liven imaginations and piss people off just like our franchise has been doing since 1977.

Darth_Invidious and Life like this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Under George Lucas, only the movies and TCW were canon.

WriterMan and Life like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This is the EU that is "worth defending":

Much lol

10. Math1eson

Math1eson Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2015
    This is a prime example of why Disney sending the EU on a beautiful all expenses paid holiday to Dignitas Switzerland was absolutely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Love those guys.

I agree that most of the EU was better off scrapped, we certainly don't want or need "Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstructive Centers" and "RepMed Vitapaste", but the KotOR series deserves to be canon, they're not only some of the best Star Wars stories, but some of the finest games ever made.

Which is why the lack of a KotOR III is mind-boggling, there's a high demand for anything Star Wars nowadays, people will buy it. If I could pick any one thing in the EU to be given the canon status, it'd be KotOR.

I'm saying this as someone who is at the end of TSL right now in my first playthrough, and I'm loving it.

12. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    If Rey uses a pike saber it will likely be considered a nod to the Zakuul knight from the latest SWTOR expansion. Of course, they could also use that as a knock against it because the pike saber wouldn't be original.

13. Kylo-Jinn Vader

Kylo-Jinn Vader Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2016
    Can't understand why they would deny KOTOR as an official piece of Star Wars. It's not like the timeline interferes with the movies, and most of all, it's a kick ass story and quite cool knowing there was some bad ass Sith Lords long before the Palpatine era.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They're not listed as canon, but given that Ventress and her whole origin ties into that show and TCW was never finished, I think we can give it a free pass in terms of fanon. I know that I do.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Ahem.

Son, the one having a meltdown here is you.

99% of the EU was garbage. I also read mostly every Bantam novel and suffered through most of the abomination that was the NJO. Drek, nearly all of it. Zahn's and Stackpoles early novels were the only bright spots even though they could now be considered derivative as ****.

Sadly, though I wish it wasn't, it's more than likely KOTOR should be considered as non-canon too. But as others have said, I guess that will mostly depend on what plans Disney has for that era, if any.

16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    MarcusP2 edited his post to say that. It refers to the content of the post pre-edit, which I can attest was quite the meltdown. His initial posts were nothing compared to that one. :p I think he's banned.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ah, that makes sense. The lack of a Mod Edit note does make that confusing.

Still, it's a good (?) example of how utterly divided (read: butthurt) a good chunk of the fandom is. Speaking from personal experience and throwing the I'm too old for that **** line, it's so not worth to get riled up over all of this crap.

Life and Exomnius like this.
  18. Jedi Covenant

Jedi Covenant Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    99% of the EU is not ****, did you read every of book and comics of every series arc, did you play every game of every franchise, did you spend the time over 30 years enjoying Star Wars as something more than just the films, this No.... only read a few books, but it's more funny considering the fact that he wasted ten years of his life during the nineties wasted his own money on books and other Star Wars Lore materials know full well he wasn't going to like it, it show how a stupid casual he really is, he'll take anything Star Wars, he watched prequels knowing full well in his own dumbass mind he hated them and he brought the DVDs, he also watch the Clone Wars film and series and probability hated it more. Guess what, that EU is canon by Disney, even when it made less sense then whatever the EU can come up with. Oh and the people who are working on the Disney Wars **** are the same old people who made the EU, but now they don't have creative freedom anymore. So really you all are idiots, that hated the prequels that much, you'll accept the laziest plot of making a film. But then again, what's the point you idiots accept anything Star Wars, like the hypocrite shills you are.

19. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    They'll never make something as dark as kotor again, because it makes people question and think and Disney wants none of that.

20. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Then get the **** out, why are you a fan of this franchise, I hate all these casuals.

21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Flame....

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    I let you back for this?

23. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    "There is no emotion; there is peace."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Which came straight out of the EU, which you clearly despise from some bull**** reason.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thing is, as good as KOTOR was, the EU was on average terrible given that you can list the good in short order and the rest is objectively bad. So I would gladly sacrifice KOTOR to be free of the rest of the arse we had.

Good (films excluded):
    Dark Forces I and II
    X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XWA
    Rebellion
    KOTOR I and II
    TOR
    Thrawn Trilogy
    X-Wing Rogue Squadron
    I, Jedi
    WEG
    FFG
    Rebels

Bad:
    Everything else.

Since there's about 8 pieces of crap for every nugget of gold, we're better off with it dead.

Sorry HK-47. Blame Saba and Alema Rar. SISSSS.