main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Is Knights of the Old Republic franchise canon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by StarWarsIsMyLife, Dec 19, 2015.

1. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    When did I say that, exactly? All I said was that KOTOR was good (great, even) and should be enjoyed regardless of whether Disney considers it canon. I made no statements as to my opinion of the EU overall.

I definitely don't despise it. Perhaps you should take the proverbial "chill pill."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    it's as if Nerd Rage found physical manifestation.

Life likes this.
  3. Jedi Covenant

Jedi Covenant Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Well, when you wasted 20 years of your life invested in the franchise, only to find out some jackass company who has no business owning it, decides to make it non-canon just to make their **** quick buck, yeah I would be pissed.

IronMant likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was a fan of the EU before TPM came out, and it crapped on the EU.

I was a fan when the Powers What Be decided to infuse prequels mediocrity into the stories.

I've been a fan for close to 35 years.

The death of the EU was the best thing to happen for decades.

#fanwang

vong333 and Life like this.
  5. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    And Disney will do the same for Star Wars, and I liked the prequels, because it's original and it didn't cater to what people felt about it, I like it more now that people hated it and if Disney considers it non-canon I'm giving up on Star Wars as an whole.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    you...
    liked the prequels?

7. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Yep, mainly because you hated it.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    So... you like it out of spite? [face_laugh]

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes gosh you sure showed me!

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No flaming, no matter who you are directing it at.

11. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    KOTOR is one of the few high quality pieces of EU with mass market appeal. I can easily see them bringing into the new canon at some point. More and more stuff from that period has appeared in canon sources (Hammerhead cruisers in Rebels, Selkath in the Clone Wars, Malachor and Rakata Prime in the Visual Dictionary etc). I doubt they'll make everything from that period canon, but maybe the bigger elements such as Revan can be slotted into the wider universe.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if some KOTOR elements get recanonized.

Too-Gon Onbourbon likes this.
  13. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Yeah, you won't get a better Sandpeople back story and it it seems Rakata Prime has snuck back in. Other than the movies this was the best Star Wars story and the game(s) had a huge Star Wars advantage over the books they were visual and audible media which forced them to share the same universe and rules to a degree text cannot.

Star Wars is to be seen and heard, the written stuff is only successfully Star Wars when it fleshed out further what is seen in my opinion. The game had a chance to be high quality Star Wars (some of them were good books in and of themselves though many more were not) because you could see it and experience it in a similar way to the way you could the movies.

I don't think we will see Revan or The Exile in the same forms though, I suspect Rey is kinda a mix of the two mind wiped and will start awakening others around her to the force.