main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is KOTOR2 a worthy continuation of a brilliant star wars story set in motion by the Original KOTOR?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Eternity85, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Many people has expressed their feelings on this. Kotor was a brilliant idea, it brought back star wars in all its glory to fans around the world. IMO Kotor2 TSL is a very entertaining game, but thats not enough, they didnt deliver what was expected by fans all over the world who couldnt wait for this wonderful story to continue.

The rushed release date ruined the huge expectations everyone had to this continuation of the story, and its of course all about the money, not quality. How can that be acceptable? Kotor is such a highly regarded game, its a shame people working in this large company`s cares more about money than their Star wars playing fans around the world..

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
  3. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I believe the answer to your question lies within the second definition of forceboat in the banner.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    KOTOR 2 is a great, great game and worthy of being KOTOR's sequel. All you naysayers are just bitter.

5. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    lol!

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    QFuT. Yes.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002

TuQF. No.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And in "I am not happy with Kotor 2" emo thread #107...

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What Kotor 2 ending?

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    It would have been, had it been finished before rushing it on to shelves to make a quick buck.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    [image=http://www.madolin.com/images/comics/aodmad/41.jpg]

12. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    I second that.

13. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    KotOR wasn't exactly a brilliant story. Many unsubtle hints were dropped about the plot twist and your dialogue options were pretty dull and limited to gratingly nice, neutral and thug evil. KotOR II showed much more promise and I doubt this would even be a question if Obsidian had told LucasArts "**** you. The game isn't finished and if you want to release it at X-mas you can wait an entire year."

14. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I thought Kotor2 was a better game even though it was far less polished.

15. DarthApocalypse

DarthApocalypse Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2007
    No. KOTOR II's story could have been just as good or better than KOTOR if not for the fact that they rushed the game and half the stuff isn't even explained. Also, the ending flat out sucked.

16. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    When I play Sith Lords I like to cut myself.

17. deadlyfries

deadlyfries Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2008
    Personally, I thought the story line, as well as the characters in KOTOR 2 were incredible. However, the first game just seemed more fun. [face_skull]

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The McGuffin wasn't real. How much more brilliant can you get than that?!?!

The plot twist was that there wasn't one!

'There is only you.'

'There must always be a Darth Traya.'

The Sithin' Jedi Council tried to sever us from the Force! I fell over in horror when Kreia swatted them aside like nats!

Oh, and in answer to the thread...

Yes

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    KOTOR 1:
    First of its kind for Star Wars
    Really fun
    Great Storyline
    I knew what the hell was happening and what I was doing and why I was doing this.

KOTOR 2:
    Great Gameplay
    I didn't know why I was doing the things I was doing.
    No Nihilus backstory
    Small Traya and Sion backstory
    HK-50's: What happened to them after Nar Shadda? Dissappeared.
    One Quest that bugged me: The Bith Scientist. Guy dies, no conclusion. GRRR

If I don't know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, I can't have fun.

So the answer is NO. There was potential, but that's it. Potential.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't no what's so hard to understand about TSL's story. Even with all the stuff missing I never had a problem understanding the story. Sure, some things remain unexplained because of the cut content, but none of that takes out enough to not understand the story anymore, unless you don't want to understand the story.

It definately would have been better, if they didn't cut all that stuff, so that all the pieces would have formed a much more coherent unit, but even the way it is now works good enough.

21. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005

Finally! I thought I was one of the only other people who got that....

Anyway, I agree with the above post.

22. Master-David

Master-David Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    though i prefer to play kotor 1 than 2, i still think it is a great game regardless.
    sure, some of the quests seemed pointless, the main quest seemes to be forgotten in amongst the endless supply of side quests, some things didnt add up (by the way, if you want to see why the bith scientist was killed, have GO-TO in your party when you discover him. he explains...) but if you looked on the good side of the game you will see a different side to it. one that is really fun and entertaining to play. like the characters are more in depth with clearer backstories, the clothes, armour and weapons are all upgraded to look better with better bonusus, you actually get jedi robes this time and not just ugly looking outfits and the storyline is more complex and exciting than the last one. all in all, even with the downsides to the game, it still belongs in my top games.

23. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I know the game was incomplete without the droid factory and stuff... but I never had a real problem with the ending... Until KOTOR III Refused to show up.

At the time I thought it was a brave ploy, leaving us unresolved with a cliffhanger. Truly trying to be the Empire Strikes Back of a larger trilogy. It left us story hooks and mysteries to keep us entranced until the next one.

I actually think that KOTOR II and it's mysteries are what keeps people clamering for the third almost 4 years later. The first is brilliant... but it is self contained (Much like ANH). The Sith Lords needs both the First KOTOR and the Third to truly tell it's story (again like ESB). It gave us a Melancholy Cliffhanger, Unresolved... leaving us to wonder what will become of our heroes.

A New Hope is self contained, because Lucas wasn't sure He'd get to finish the tale. All 5 of the other movies require each other to some degree. KOTOR II could have been a self contained adventure as well, dealing with people places and things untouched by the first... instead it dared to try to expand that tale, make it deeper, more epic... more in keeping with Star Wars.

I think when III finaly does arrive, and if you are a geek like I am... obssesed with the worlds of KOTOR... then when you look back (and replay) II you will discover how nuanced and beautiful it is.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not the story. I just never knew why I was doing what I was doing.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    But that really has nothing to do with the game, Vivec.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.