main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Kyp or Luke more powerful?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by noghri_jedi, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noghri_jedi

noghri_jedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2003
    Luke has the same blood as Anikin Skywalker, so hes powerful. On the other hand, when he was training with Yoda he was tested(battled himself)...he failed that test. Kyp Durron was also tested(thought his brother's spirit was Xar Kon, and was about to destroy him), on Yavin 4. Kyp DID pass the test, unlike Luke.

2. Pile_of_Sith

Pile_of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2003
    Kyp mentions that he's more powerful then Luke in a NJO book. While that might be true in brute power, I'm sure Luke could whup his child-loving butt with his knowledge of the force.

3. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    It says in one of the Enemy Lines books that Kyp "knows" he's stronger than Luke.

Of course, Kyp can be pretty delusional.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Passing tests doesn't exactly make someone stronger or smarter, or what have you.

I usually score the highest grades in my classes on tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm the smartest person in that class. It only means that I retain information better or that I study better.

Other people might be smarter when it comes to applying class material in the real world.

So, just because Kyp passed the test doesn't mean that he's necessarily stronger.

5. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    My opinion is that Luke is more powerful, but his training with a master was short.

I believe Kyp, on the other hand, has a more natural ability of the Force. Meaning he can use the Force easlier without training. In my mind, that explains why Kyp seems more powerful at when he and Luke first meet.

So in raw Force power, imo, Luke is more powerful.

Did that make sense at all???

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Inferring a lot from the NJO and the JA trilogy, I would suggest the explanation is best provided with an analogy.

We have a battle, a fight if you will, between two fighters. Both are bloody strong, but one is just that much taller, that much stronger, and has a more natural athleticism.

THe other isn't as strong, but is more centred and calm in his abilities, more sure and certain of his strengths, and holds greater mastery over the skills of battle, the various forms of hand-to-hand combat, and thus is the greater overall fighter.

The second combatant wins the fight, and is hence the more "powerful" of the two, despite his physical shortcomings.

To paraphrase the analogy, Kyp has a more innate, natural attunement to the Force, a more raw power that is rivalled by none, and his wisdom in the Force isn't that small either.

But in wisdom and mastery of the Force, he "can't get near Luke." Luke IS "THE" master of the Force. No one is more centred, more at ease, more certain of his power than Luke, thus allowing him to effortlessly be the greater master of the two, in battle as well as out of it.

Another analogy to end off. Both are hurricanes, strong and ferocious. Luke sits in the eye of his storm, calmly directing all of his surrounds, whilst Kype is fraying at the edge, allowing himself to every so often be swept along in the eddies and currents, relying more on the sheer power and ferocity of his storm than the cohesive whole.

7. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Luke is. He's just not so brash about it like Kyp is.

8. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    If Kyp is more powerful, that destroys the Skywalker myth, really. I say it's a tossup.

9. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    First, if you consider Kyp?s second major temptation to use the Dark Side as his test, then sure, he passed. If you consider the fact that the first time around he became a Sith wanna-be and destroyed planetary systems, then no, Kyp failed in a way only rivaled by a few true Sith.

Second, Kyp?s delusions about his power in EL are no more valid than Jacen?s in TUF; which is to say: he?s wrong.

Third, Kyp doesn?t have a greater connection to the Force; his connection is simply more overt.

10. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    I was going to say exactly what PoT said. Exactly

well, maybe not, but I agree with him, Luke is more powerful

11. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree with PoT except in one thing... I think Luke has more raw power than Kyp, but because of his being the calm in the center of the storm, he chooses not to display his raw power and maintains complete control over his use of the Force.

As for Kyp's claiming to be the more powerful, he's delusional and always has been.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    He's not delusional. He's arrogant, and a bit ignorant. Because Luke hasn't shown himself to be more powerful, Kyp doesn't know he's as powerful as he is. Kyp can do things he hasn't seen Luke do, but Luke CAN do them, and probably better than Kyp.

Kyp was also rather cocky when he said he was stronger. He's not as cocky now, and after TUF, he's probably a lot more humble.

Dana

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree. The events of the NJ0 definitely humbled Kyp. As for who's more powerful, Kyp probably has more raw Force stregnth but Luke has better control and is obviously more skilled. Yet both are Masters in their own right, so...

14. Blue_Ice-Green_Fire

Blue_Ice-Green_Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2002
    In raw Force potential (though I don't like it ;) ) I'd have to say Kyp. But, IMHO, Luke is much more powerful.

If you're comparing by the way they past their tests, you must remember early beginnings. Luke was the most powerful Force user of his time (in raw Force) before Kyp came along, but he was shielded heavily by Obi-Wan/Yoda and Owen had a very violent reaction to Luke using the Force, for obvious reasons.

Kyp, on the other hand, was not stopped in his unconscious Force-usings, and was even encouraged, I would think. And before he had his real master (Luke), Kyp had . . . um, Vonda was it? I forget her name. Before Obi-Wan and Yoda, Luke had no one. So that gives Luke's faliure and Kyps succeding a little diffrent point of view, hmm?

Luke had a much more challenging task to complete, which is another reason why he is more powerful. Yes, Kyp had his own trials, but he was more along for the ride while Luke slaved to construct the New Jedi Order.

Luke has a mastery, wisdom over time, that Kyp has to much impatience and arrogance to acquire. Luke lost many friends/family in his early-twenties or so, and learned from that. Despite losing his own family and friends, Kyp didn't seem to grasp the lesson quite as well. Many times he became more brash and arrogant from the experience, while Luke seemed to grow more humble.

Thankfully, NJO seemed to humble Kyp greatly, and despite my over-all disliking of the series, I was pleased to see that. I'm also glad that Luke acknowledged Kyp as a Jedi Master, though not THE Jedi Master as Luke is many times referred too, and put him on the Council.

In lightsaber duel, I think both are equally matched. I think Kyp would be more in favor to brute, while Luke enables tactic more often, both are excellent swordsmen and few could compare with them. Mara and Corran, and maybe Leia if she actually trained ;) The Solo twins eventually.

So I'll finish my ramblings ( :p ) with: Yes, I think Luke is more powerful. As PoT put it: they are both hurricanes, but Luke is in the eye. Over time, Kyp will be able to reach Luke's wisdom and will most likely succeed Luke as THE Jedi Master.

The Beta in me says: It's Exar Kun :p

Now...what about Anakin Solo...? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.