main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is lack of Ep2 excitement killing off Ep2 too quickly at the box office?????

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Slave-2, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Star Wars is not supposed to be a snoozefest!

You should've said that back when TPM came out :)

Now, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the movie the first time, but the second time, it was a pain to sit through.

I feel the same way...but don't tell guys like DrEvazan or AL that :p

2. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I still love the film. My favorite film this summer. If you tell me Spider-Man was better I think you are just a sheep following the media because to me that seems impossible.

Maybe it was subliminally inserted in the Britany Spears records you listen to "hate Star Wars love Spider-Man whoops I did it again"

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It did a fine run. It has been the trend these past couple of years to hit hard in the first month then drop off. AotC had a fine run considereing this treend. TPM was watched by so many because of nostalgia, and ridiculously high expectations. And TPM was a dissapointment. I like it better now, but it's kinda flat.

AotC is a good movie. Back in the day, when the OT came out, all of us kids had only Star Trek reruns, and some boring-@ss Disney films. SW was like Nirvana to bored kids of the 70's. These days, kids have a million other distractions, from TV to video games, to movies, and it's kids that power the SW machine, not a few fanboys. And girls......

It's just not the same era, guys. AotC did a great run at the box office, but a fairly typical one for an action film.

4. Darth_Basher

Darth_Basher Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    i most totally agree with JangoFettz. after the initial speeder chase, one must hope to stay awake until the next action sequence 45 minutes later. clearly a problem. maybe some seductive amidala scenes could have kept us awake.

5. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I think that people in the internet/digital/videogame age seem to have a hard time maintaining an attention span longer than 5 minutes. If it doesn't have a huge explosion or nudity, it's "boring".

6. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    Could AOTC's disappointing box office performance perhaps be due to the fact that it's a rather poor film?

7. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    And TPM did so well because it was a GREAT film!

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    [runs away to avoid imminent flame war]

EDIT: Who said that 300 million is disappointing? AOTC is a box office flop now?

9. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Attack of the Clones boring?

* Assasination Attempt 3 minutes into movie
    * Another Assasination attempt shortly after
    * Coruscant Chase
    * Obi-Wan vs. Jango Fett after the mystery of the Clones which would keep an AVERAGE/INTELLIGENT person at least somewhat interested
    * Tusken Slaughter
    * Arena Battle
    * Clone Battle
    * Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Dooku
    * YODA

Yeah...your right...Attack of the Clones is boring its even more boring then TPM
    [face_plain]

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

10. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Apparently some people consider 300 million a flop. Even though if TPM was the first SW movie AOTC would be the most successful sequel of all time-- beating out ESB.

11. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    I wouldn't say TPM is a *great* film, but it's not as bad as AOTC.

I'm afraid it has to be said. AOTC is a poorer film than TPM.

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, and Empire is a poorer film than ANH... What, no beginning and no end? Just like AOTC, isn't it?

13. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Attack of the Clones in reality has not made as much as The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. This would be if you look at adjusted BO reciepts. AotC is far behind in adjusted dollars.

I think it is a shame AotC did not do as well but I think the blame is on LucasFilms marketing and dist.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Good point, Darth Zoo, but if you look at the adjusted chart number one is still Gone with the Wind - a 60 year old movie! I wonder if people just don't watch moview that much now because of video and DVD or maybe the principles of this adjustment should be somehow corrected?

15. Jason_Bourne

Jason_Bourne Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2001
    I think the prequels in general have a problem with being boring. Episode One I thought was terrible. All it consisted of was a series of Action sequences coupled together with loose lame dialogue. It was boring. Episode Two was boring from the sheer lack of performance quality. For Christ's sake Lucas had the talent of Christopher Lee and he DID NOT USE IT!!!! Very upsetting. Hayden Christensen came across as a whiny brat. His lines too were awful. Lucas just can't write worth ****. Sorry. Jonathan Hales didn't seem to help much. Key problem with Episode Two is that everything is too gosh darn bright. ESB had all sorts of dark scenes (Asteroid Chase Scene, Majority of Cloud City scenes) and lots of shadow use. I think this too was a key problem with the film. I have no problem with lack of action sequences as long as the dialogue is GOOD and there is character development. I did thoroughly enjoy the slaughter of the Tusken Raiders and wish Lucas had lingered on that scene more.

16. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I think it's really due to the fact that so many big blockbuster movies that appeal to wider audiences have been coming out week after week before and after AOTC's release. "Spider-Man" was the first good big blockbuster to come out since LOTR back in December. And so people were hungry for a big movie again. And so when AOTC came out, Spider-Man already took the place of the first big movie out since LOTR. Sure, "The Mummy" was the first big movie of summer '99, but it wasn't as good as Spider-Man, and TPM was the first SW movie in 16 years. People wanted to see TPM more than anything else.

Since Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, so many other big time movies came out every week. "The Sum Of All Fears," "Minority Report," "The Bourne Idenity," "Men in Black II," etc. And "Austin Powers 3" and "Signs" are coming out soon. This summer has been packed with big movies. When TPM came out, it was overly hyped, and no big movies came out for two months. "Austin Powers 2" was the next big movie of summer '99. TPM had virtually no competition. "The Mummy" came out two weeks before, and that's enough time to bring in all the audiences that would be interested. TPM was the movie of summer '99. At that time, if you didn't see it, you must have been living in a cave.

Now, the hype surrounded AOTC was toned down greatly. So combined with big blockbuster weekends practically EVERY weekend, this made AOTC almost seem like it didn't even come out.

As far as how the situation is where I live with AOTC, the theater is still pretty full for the movie. The reason being because there used to be three theater buildings which showed the movie on 2 or more screens, and now there's only one theater building that shows it on one screen. It's the only screen showing it in my city. It still has three or four show times a day. I saw it for the 7th time a few days ago(July 18th), and there were hardcore fans there that clapped vigorously when the Star Wars logo flashed onto the screen(see the thread "Do you still clap?").

On a side note, it seems to me that where I live(Lansing, the capitol of Michigan), people reacted positively towards both TPM and AOTC. Lansing is Star Wars town to me!

17. JediRia

JediRia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    Here's my two cents: Spiderman came out first, and Spiderman was a good movie! Its Summertime, so along with Spidey came a boatload of movies. Phantom Menace backlash--i cringe just thinking about that movie and how god awful it was, so going into Ep 2 its not surprising that you're going to have some hesitation, me personally, i went into Ep 2 completely spoiled and confident that this movie was going to be good, and i was right. Although, to be totally honest, the movie did have some problems, we all know what they were. And my last point is the bad reviews. Why all the bad reviews? I swear, at times it seemed like one big conspiracy--kind of like if you're a critic and you want to keep your job, you can't like this movie, or the highest score you can give is 2 stars or a C+. Why? Perhaps George's digital vision
    had to be spanked? Perhaps liking Spidey and Star Wars was too geeky? But i think the biggest reason has to be that most of the critics and people in general have a problem with the Prequels as a whole. They don't want anything to tamper with the holy trilogy. And lets face it, the prequels just can't match the "magic" of the OT no matter how much we all wish they could.
    In conclusion, i saw Episode 2, three times, and i really enjoyed it, i can't wait to get it on DVD!

18. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "And lets face it, the prequels just can't match the "magic" of the OT no matter how much we all wish they could."

No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

I don't believe it.
    That is why you fail.

19. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Regular movie folks simply were interested in seeing SPIDERMAN more then AOTC so they all went to see spiderman over and over and over again. Most of those that went to see spiderman were kids. The same kids went to see aotc but not as much as spiderman. The reasons are too many to guess so simply MORE PEOPLE WERE INTERESTED IN SPIDERMAN!

and it's no BIGGIE cause AOTC still will top $300 million and over $700 million worldwide. not bad for a second sequel :D

20. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    darthsidious32 seems to be the only voice of reason in this place. AotC debuted within what, 4 weeks of three blockbusters-in-waiting and a much-anticipated sequel (5 if you include Scooby-Poop). The only one that outgained it was Spiderman, and I don't think anybody expected Spiderman to do what it did. IMHO, of course... ;)

21. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    lack of exitement? its sad that some people can't sit through a little diologue/story. the movie wasn't poor (neither was phantom menace) disapointing box ofice? what the hell its almost to 300 million what are you talking about?

22. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Imperial Guard hit it on the head. People complain about 20 minutes of plot development even though we had all the cool stuff on Kamino. What the hell?

23. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    The lack of AOTC being a good movie to regular movie goers is killing it off too quickly :(

24. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    People complain about 20 minutes of plot development even though we had all the cool stuff on Kamino. What the hell?

That's because we had to sit through (for some. Like me) the cringe-inducing Naboo scenes in order to get to the cool stuff on Kamino.

25. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    "I think that people in the internet/digital/videogame age seem to have a hard time maintaining an attention span longer than 5 minutes. If it doesn't have a huge explosion or nudity, it's "boring"."

We live in a fast pased world. gotta have everything fast including plots and story in movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.