main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is lack of Ep2 excitement killing off Ep2 too quickly at the box office?????

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Slave-2, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Lucas created his own epic saga, Peter Jackson adapted someone else's. Don't get me wrong, I give full credit to Jackson for taking on such a mammoth project and succeeding. But when it all comes down to it, his job was the cinematic equivalent of narrating an abridged book on tape. You know, some people read books better than others, but it still wouldn't matter without the original author's vision.

As for lack of audience enthusiasm for AOTC, I recently saw it for the fifth time with a small audience and was amazed how many first-time viewers there seemed to be. The kid in the row in front read the opening scroll aloud, making everyone laugh. Throughout the film he kept asking his dad excited questions like "Is he the one who turn bad in Episode III?"
    Made my day :)

2. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

But when it all comes down to it, his job was the cinematic equivalent of narrating an abridged book on tape.

Youre being "ironical" right? what have i told you Gushers about using analogies? well, young man?

3. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    I just wanted to say I've seen it 6 times here in phoenix, az, and I haven't seen any lack of audience at all. The last time I saw it was on Sunday july 30 at 3pm. I was expectiong to have the theater to my self but there was maybe at the most 5 open seats. NOne in the stadium section at the top of the theater. There were also a lot of first time viewers. Even thougth I was hoping it was an empty showing it was kinda cool to see it crowded. :)

4. Ground_Crew

Ground_Crew Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    After seeing the movie in a nearly empty cinema I gave it another try -and found myself among a lot of first time viewers. It was incredible to experience the excitment once again. They were gaspings, laughters, and all. I still nourish on these moments.. great!!!!

5. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

What's all this, "The general public finds AOTC boring" stuff?

Even my mom liked 'AOTC', and she's NOT a 'Star Wars' fan, and never has been. She was always scratching her head at the rest of my family and my friends....

"Haven't you seen that already? What's all the fuss about? It's just a Movie!!"

6. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    All kind-hearted people liked AOTC. Only evil trolls who club children to death didn't enjoy it.

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    funny how some people try to disprove somebody's theory by giving an example of ONE person they know

"Adults don't like AOTC"
    "Rubbish, my father is an adult and he likes it"

"Women like Hayden"
    "Wrong, my sister knows a girl that says she knows somebody who doesn't like Hayden, so you're wrong"

"Casual fans are confused by the story"
    "no. There was this guy sitting 13 rows behind me in the cinema who wore this T-shirt saying "I'm a casual fan" and I heard him saying "I understand the story just fine"

8. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    and how many people do you know that hate AOTC yet embrace mediocrity?

9. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    You know all this stuff like "the general public fins AOTC boring." is total rubish. It's just that negative things stand out more than positive things. Even if the positve far outways the negative. Negative comments get more responses that's why alot of critics say negative things about awesome movies.

10. MauveLightsaber

MauveLightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Well, it sounds very cliche, but ticket sales does not an indicator of quality. Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for AOTC to clear $400m as much as the next guy (I never expected it to top TPM), but oh well.

The true test of this film will be in, say, 10 years. How will people remember it? Will people still care? My bet is that AOTC will be remembered as the film that turned the PT around, and that it will be *very* highly regarded down the road.

11. Force-User

Force-User Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    As a Gusher of TPM, I find this hard to say but I think the real reason AOTC is not smashing records is because people were so disillusioned with TPM that they aren't making the effort to see AOTC. Some friends I have told me that they're waiting for the video!! Well, that's a death sentence right there.

The problem is that over time, there has been so much bashing of TPM that instead of having this huge anticipation of AOTC, people just didn't want to go see it.

12. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    It's true. It's not that people don't like AOTC, it's the fact they never gave it a chance to begin with. I know loads of people who told me they weren't interested in seeing AOTC because they disliked TPM, were put off by bad reviews, etc. Some of them I managed to convince to see the film and they came back and told me they loved it! So I honestly believe AOTC's reputation will only improve once more people get to see it.

13. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    The fact (imho) that a lot of people didn't give AOTC a chance at the theater might bode well for it's DVD/VHS sales and rentals...

14. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    you are correct, my friend. young fools, only at the end will they understand . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.