main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is laughing at someone and calling them a dork considered to be a flame?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wild_karrde, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    No reason in particular, just wondering how all the Mods, Admins, posters, etc feel about it :)

(Reposted from the JC because I can't get a straight answer from some people there [face_plain] )

YJ edit: Okay, the "flame" has been discussed. Possible changes to FF Comms are being discussed in the Old Folks Home. I think everyone was able to get their last words in now.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I don't like namecalling at all, under any circumstance. It depends on how malicious the thread is, in my eyes. But, if in a frienly, joking manner, then laughing at someone and calling them a dork is fine (even though this is a hard one to tell). If it's clear that a user is out with an unfriendly and/or hateful intent, then yes, I consider it a flame. :)

Generall, I warn on the first offense (if it's the first offense) and try to explain my reasoning. If I see this, I also try to get their reasoning for posting it, just so I have a full heads up on the situation.

3. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    it depends on the context and more importantly, the intent. it also helps if the recipient realizes it is meant to be harmless.

4. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    What if it's from a person you don't really know and who barely knows you, and they don't even include a ;) or a :) or anything else to let you know it's a joke?

And when they discover it offended you, they thinly apologize and are condescending by calling you "dear", when (as I said) they don't know you?

5. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    if you aren't sure, then it would help to pm the person and ask them.

also remember that there is a point where some people are just being way too sensitive.

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Flame:

Your a dork! Go away and stop posting here. [face_plain]

Laugh:

You can be a dork at times. 8-}

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You say "no reason in particular", yet you go on to name what sounds like a specific incident that happened.

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    How about:

LOL @ <insert name>

yer a dork.

(notice it's "@" not "with")

EDIT: That's because I tend to get in trouble when taling about specific events, and always told to "drop it". This is just using some examples I have come across. Possibly just a coincident if it's all related :)

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You wouldn't happen to be talking about this post, would you?

It looks like a FanForce issue. If you've already taken it up with the City Rep and RSA, check with another RSA, a GSA, or go to FanForce Communications.

10. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    "Flame:

Your a dork! Go away and stop posting here. [face_plain] "

prove it. as in, how do you know the person wasn't joking? it isnt required, nor should it be, that everytime someone makes a joke, or harmless tease, that they need to be sure that every single person (no matter how sensitive) know that it wasn't meant to be a flame.

11. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    What if it's from a person you don't really know and who barely knows you, and they don't even include a or a or anything else to let you know it's a joke?

Well, generally I find myself editing out the comment if I find it questionable and sending the user a PM. Under certain cases, though, if the thread has been a hellish one already, it is just a cumulation of bad posts and those who step over the line get banned. If it came out of nowhere, well, it honestly depends on each case. If it's totally off topic and has a malicious sound to it (ie "God, Karrde, you're such a dork."), I'll contact the member on their first offense. Sure.. it doesn't seem like such a bad thing, but purposely namecalling and derailing a thread in my book is a banneable offense.

And when they discover it offended you, they thinly apologize and are condescending by calling you "dear", when (as I said) they don't know you?

If they're joking around and they find they've offended someonea and apologize, then do so, I see it as a better act than not doing so at all. It all honestly feeds into the situation. Generally it's a case by case basis, but if it's out of nowhere and just doesn't look like it's a joke, I consider it a flame.

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    IMHO, the person they say it to should know that it isn't a flame.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The face icon Porkins in a Speedo is a dead give-away. If you were indeed joking you'd want to make sure the other users know this or some of them may call a Moderator resulting in their valuable time wasted.

14. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    some of them may call a Moderator resulting in their valuable time wasted.

//tries to keep a straight face ;)

(notice the " ;) "?)

15. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah, if I called someone a dork (which is most unlikely) I'd certainly put a ;) after it.

However, a lot of people don't even when they are joking.

W_K maybe just take Izird's word for it that it wasn't anything personal since Izird is familiar with the poster.

YodaJeff - it was taken to FF Coms but the thread was locked by the RSA thereby preventing anyone outside of the situation from offering some input :) FF Coms is for "happy new chapter" threads only ;)

16. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    The face icon Porkins in a Speedo is a dead give-away. If you were indeed joking you'd want to make sure the other users know this or some of them may call a Moderator resulting in their valuable time wasted.

the [face_plain] is a dead give away? tell that to Griff. and i myself sometimes use [face_plain] in a lighthearted manner. who decided that [face_plain] automatically indicates flaming?

the person who posts an ambiguity is not entirely responsible for whether or not other people interpret it correctly. and sometimes it's the oversensitive or confused people who are wasting the moderators' time.

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "If you were indeed joking you'd want to make sure the other users know this or some of them may call a Moderator resulting in their valuable time wasted."

I'm all for members helping police things, as I myself do occasionally, but if you think User X is flaming Newbie Newberson, I don't think you should be the one to rush off to the mods, especially if it's something as minor as "dork." Let Newbie Newberson go to a mod if he's been insulted. Otherwise, you may find yourself going to a mod in the case of good friends ribbing on each other, and it won't be those friends who are wasting the mods time.

And about the whole emoticon issue. [face_plain] shouldn't be a sure-fire indication that someone is flaming. Nor should ;) or :p be a sure-fire indication that someone is joking. You're just as likely to find people who use ;) and :p in an effort to flame without making it look like blatant flaming, so as to avoid the ban.

Amazing.

18. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    *laughs at w_k & PiaS * [face_laugh]

"Dorks!" ;)

(folks, the abve was done with humor, and not any malicious intent. DO not try this at home without proper protection and adult supervision)

19. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I think PiaS is a dork.

20. Xie-mas

Xie-mas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    G-S, I think you mean:

I think PiaS is a dork. [face_plain]

21. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker

Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Or maybe:

I think PiaS is a dork ;)

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    As long as there's no rule instated that all jokes must be followed up by cute smiley faces or else the poster gets banned.

23. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    AmazingB - Actually, it was a newbie flaming my fiance.

24. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    die. all of you.

just die.

25. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    You wouldn't happen to be talking about this post, would you?

Phew! Good thing thread got locked.

Who knows what other sick things might come from that newbie's mouth.

(choose emoticon for this post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.