main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Leia a princess in Empire/Jedi?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Jan 9, 2014.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Does anyone call Leia a princess after ANH? I know her home world blow up but i would guess she would still be a princess of that planet. However I cant recall if she was ever called this again. It seems she more of a leader/fighter than princess and she dropped the title to fit in with the 'common folks'.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Vader does in ESB.

3. Number_5

Number_5 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't see how she was a princess in ANH anyway. In name only, really. She was a senator.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    She was the adopted daughter of "Prince Bail" and "Queen Breha"

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Apart from Han's early remarks, which could be taken as sarcasm, there's several references in ESB:

Threepio's one thing, but two military officers addressing her as "Your Highness" and "princess" seems to suggest that her title is still considered official.

No one other than Threepio calls her 'princess' in ROTJ.

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    She's a princess in exile.

Dark Lady Mara and Sith-Mullet like this.
  7. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I I think it would come off as kind of cruel if Han were calling her princess when he knew she didn't hold the title anymore, considering how the title was lost. It's a lot more ok for him to use it to mock her if she's still using the title.
    The EU novels still refer to her as a princess too.
    And if anyone would know the protocol of how to refer to Leia, it would be the protocol droid.

Lord Chazza and MOC Yak Face like this.
  8. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I hope by SW7 is a queen, if not she is like the Prince Charles of the Star Wars Galaxies.

9. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm not sure I see how Leia would become a queen. There's no Alderan to rule, unless they do something like having her rule an Alderanian colony.
    I'd rather Leia be President of the New Republic or whatever.

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    In TESB she was The Artist Formerly Known as Princess Leia, but by ROTJ she was simply known as [​IMG]

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably not.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Andy Wylde and Sith-Mullet like this.
  13. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Princess only by name, because it's hard to represent your planet as the lone survivor when your real father blew up your planet in front of you.

14. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    was her parents even on the planet when it blow up? I mean she didn't seem all that upset and sad at the lost of her parents. Then again Luke was more upset about losing Obi-wan than his uncle and aunt

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The background books clarify that she wasn't the lone survivor. General Rieekan from ESB, for example, was another (I believe the Star Wars Character Guide mentions this) - and the EU makes it clear that quite a few Alderaanians survived.

16. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I hear that Jar Jar died on Alderan.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also a theory that the Gungan yelling "Wesa freeee!" from the roof of a building on Naboo in RoTJ, is him.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Han calls her "princess" in ESB and "your highness". For sure on Hoth and I don't remember at the moment if he continued to call her "princess".

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Very good point.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Some of the earlier EU novels also treat the Jedi Order as a sort of royalty; one character was a young boy named Ken, who bore the title of "Jedi prince". As Leia's the daughter of a Jedi Knight and a former Naboo queen, she'd still technically remain a princess after Alderaan's destruction. Of course, that would also grant Luke the same title as Ken.

21. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    That's an interesting point, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Padme's reign as queen was over for years before she had the twins. She no longer held the title of queen herself at that point, so I wouldn't think that her children would have any royal title from Naboo.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    My recent viewing of the OT movies has made me realize how troublesome Leia's characterization has been. For someone who is supposed to be one of the leaders of the Rebellion, she seemed to spend more time engaged in military or intelligence actions. It almost seemed as if Lucas didn't really know what to do with her . . . other than being the female lead.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  23. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I look at Leia as a field leader, at least often times, out there getting her hands dirty and leading missions, with Mon Mothma leading from the safety of hidden rebel bases.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Then why bother acting as one of the Rebel Alliance leaders, if all she is going to do is engage in military and intelligence actions? She's either a political leader or a military/intelligence one. I can understand if she found herself unintentionally engaged in military actions or circumstances forced her to lead or engage in such actions. But when I find myself watching scenes in which she is discussing strategy with the pilots - especially when it's not really her job - I cannot help but wonder if Lucas couldn't create a solid role for her.

25. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    It seems to me that Leia does strategy and military and intelligence work. I don't see a problem with that.