main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Leia still a Princess In ESB and ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Discuss. After Alderann got destroyed she was still referred to as a Princess, so is she still a Princess? I mean, there wasn't any planet she could've been a heir off.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    No- but there are the many Alderaanians that survived, due to being offworld when the Death Star attacked.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Besides, I always figured it was an honorary title that they continued to use for her even though the planet itself was no more, out of respect for Alderaan and her history there. Otherwise it would be like rubbing it in even more if they essentially said "your planet was destroyed, so we're not calling you Princess anymore".

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, she would have been. The title is hereditary; her planet being gone, IMO, doesn't really matter so long as there's still Alderaanians around.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Once a king or queen of Alderaan, ALWAYS a king or queen...;)

6. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree. Plus I think it's also the same thing as calling an ex-president Mr. President. It's just a respect thing.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  7. Sure_leia

Sure_leia Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    True. Just what I was thinking.
    I think they actually refer to her as "Princess" when they're talking directly to her more than calling her "Leia" to her face. It's be a weird change, I guess.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I would assume that she retains her title through the rest of her life unless someone with the proper authority strips her of the title.

9. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Wouldn't she become queen after her stepmother was killed

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    According to Gary Kurtz, ROTJ was once meant to end with her being crowned Queen of the remaining Alderaanians.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    We're a few more "according to Gary Kurtz" quotes from a meme with that big-haired dude who goes on about the aliens :p

Dark Lady Mara and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh my. :D That is fantastic Nub. lol

14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

I was about to say that :(

:p

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    THAT'S RACIST. It wasn't even aliens who destroyed Alderaan.

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Yes Leia is still called "princess". Rieekan the Hoth General called her Princess, and Han said Princess when he was about to be turned into a carbonite popsickle. He told Chewbacca to take care of her yada yada.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Why did they not do this?

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Even assuming it's true (and like a lot of Kurtz's accounts, it was probably only ever a vague idea mentioned offhand, long before anyone actually sat down & began developing a story for 'Star Wars III'), it simply wasn't necessary and would have introduced a distracting dimension to a story that was intended to wind things up as cleanly as possible.

It was part of this 'bittersweet' vision Kurtz claims once existed for ROTJ - Han was meant to die in an Imperial raid, Leia being crowned Queen led to her struggling with her new duties, and Luke wandered off alone at the end, like a gunfighter in a spaghetti western. It's unclear when this storyline existed (I'm guessing late 1978 to early 1979 around about the time ESB started production), or whether or not these elements existed at the same time as each other. It's possible it was a part of the 12-part serial vision of Star Wars, or the 9-episode trilogy of trilogies. Unfortunately, there's no supporting evidence for it beyond what Gary Kurtz has to say (although the idea that Han should die was brought up in story conferences).

Leia's royal pedigree wasn't emphasised past SW/ANH anyway, and with the Sister Leia revelation in place, audiences would wonder whether or not she was the real heir to the throne of Alderaan. Old idea, made redundant by the changing vision of the Star Wars Saga.