main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is lightsaber ability related to force ability in any way?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediScott, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Anyone can wave a lightsabre around, even an Ewok.

The Force gives a Jedi an advantage by boosting his reaction speed and probably strength. There's also a certain amount of premonition gained.

Of course, in Maul's case that's not much help. Premonition means he would've gained a split-second warning that Obi-Wan was going to do something, but since he remained blissfully unaware that Qui-Gon's lightsabre was lying right there and ready for use he probably thought Obi-Wan was just gonna try kicking him or something.

Premonition isn't the same as precognition.
    They're both Jedi skills, but precognition requires a lot more meditation as we've seen with Yoda and Luke sometimes.

In the heat of battle, the Force aids premonition in giving a general feeling of how things will happen. Precognition is a much more direct and clearer set of images.

Hmm...this has drifted off a bit...

2. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    "sight" so much discussion about an already discussed theme.....

Lightsabres can ONLY be constructed by Jedi or Sith.This happens because the core of the lightsabre are crytals that have to be perfectly arranged to the lightsabre work-otherwise it will explode.Only a Force-sensitve person can find out the perfect arrangment.The Sith lightsabres are always red due to two reasons:it increases the dramatical effect and,au contraire of the Jedi,the crystals of Sith lightsabres are artificial.

Let´s not forget that the lightsabres were invented so the Jedi could fight the Sith and others.They are MECHANICALLY activated because it would be hard for a Jedi to be using the Force every time he needed to turn on and off his lightsabre.

To use a lightsabre you don´t need to be a Jedi,but in battle aginst a Force-user you would surely loose-the Force allows you to defy the laws of physics(like Qui-Gon in TPM-piercing the blast doors-only a Jedi could do this)or deflecting blasts.The galaxy population probably discarded the lightsabres because they were expensive(only a handful of people could make them)and they weren´t practical(you couldn´t deflect shots,etc).The Jedi kept them mainly because they knew how to use them and it was tradition.Also the lightsabre is handy when you have to do "agressive negotiations".

3. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    damon d good post

4. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    The stronger you are in the force, the better you are with a lightsaber. By the way, Mace did not create form 7- and he taught his padawan form 7. They are 2 of the few Jedi that use form 7, but he did not create it...

5. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    yes he did create vaapad it says so in the mace windu one shot comic. even in shatterpoint he says me and my padawan are the only masters of it ,studying it and being a master of it are 2 different things .

6. Vader322

Vader322 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    I think the only reason DV blocked blaster bolts it that only his head and his shoulders are flesh. so when he stopped the blaster bolts with the force it didnt hurt b/c under the glove he is robotic, if it were Yoda im pretty sure he would hurt his hand. most likely burn it. thats probally why DV screamed when luke hit him in the shoulder. but he also screamed when luke cut his hand off so i might be wrong. he probally the only one who can block blaster bolts tho.
    and i think the force is required to use a saber effectively (sp) b/c they can control the saber with the force. so they kno where the blade is. a force-null wouldn't know b/c energy has no weight therefore the wont know where the blade is without visual contact of it.

7. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I have an answer but I'm sure it won't be popular as it's based mostly on EU material.

My answer: Lightsaber ability is based on faith in the force, not force strength.

It's occured several times in books I've read. When a character lets go and completely gives in to the force and trusts the force to control his/her actions. That is when he/she is unstoppable. Corran Horn (a fav character of mine), is actually a good example of this. He's not too strong in the force, yet, he's still a force to be reckoned with. He's even achieved the status of Master in the NJO.

Alas, this is all EU based. :(

8. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    Can someone say all the styles of lightsabre fighting that exist in SW and a brief descripiton of them please?

9. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
  10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Lord_Fett - the list has appeared several times across the forums, it's a chore to cover it all again.
    Just try Google.com and type in 'lightsabre forms' for starters.

11. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    here are the first three i will do the rest later

form, 1
    millenia before teh clone wars ,advanced technolgy replaced metal swords with energy lightsabers .in this tradition the first from was born.jedi masters created form 1 from ancient sword fighting traditions , since teh the princciples of blade combat remained the same .te basics of attack ,parry,body target zones,and teh practice drills called velocities are all here.

form 2 (dooku's form)
    the ultimate refinement of lightssaber to lightsaber combat became form 2,advancing the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the greatest dueling masters teh galaxy has ever seen . today form 2 is an archaism studied by almost no one in teh jedi orde ,because it is not relevent to current tactical sitiuations ,in which jedi enemies rarley fight with a lihtsaber ,even with resurgence of teh sith conforntaion of an enemy with a lightsaber is exceedingly rare prospect for a jedi,so they continue to focus on more practical forms ,sith expecting to battle with light saber weilding jedi however find form 2 a powerful technique.

form 3
    the third great lightsaber disclpine was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technolgy in the galaxy .as these weapons spread widley into the hands of evil doers,jedi had to develop unique means of defendin themselves .form 3 thus arose from "laserblast "deflection training .over teh centuries it has transcending this origin to bcome a highly refined expression of non agressive jedi philosophy . form 3 maximizes defensive protection in a style charcterized by tight ,efficent movements that expose minimal target area comapred to teh realtivley open style of some other forms . obi wan kenobi takes up a dedication to form 3 after teh death of qgj (who favored form4) .since it was apparent to kenobi that that jinn's defense was insuffficent aganinst the sith techniques of darth maul . true form 3 masters are considred invincible .even in his elder yrs kenobi remains a forambale form3 practioner .

form 4 (yoda)

form 4 is teh most acrobatic form heavily emphasizing jedi abilties to run ,jump and spin in phenomenal wasy buy using the force master of form 4 incororate all of the ways in which the force helps them go beyond what is physically possible .their lightsaber comabt is astonishing to watch ,filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a jedi may be all bu t ab lur .yoda with his deep empaasis in on the force in all things , is a form 4 master .

form 5(anakin)

during an era when jedi were called upon to more activley maintain the peace in the galaxy ,form 5 arose alongisede form 5 to adress a need for greater power among the jedi .jedi masters who form 3 could be too passive developed form 5 a form 3 master might be undefeatble ,but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy .form 5 focuses on strength and lighsaber attack moves .this form explits teh ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt and turns thsi defensive move into an offensive attck a dedication to teh power and strength to defeat an enemy charcterizes teh philosphy of form 5 ,which some jedi describe by the maxim "peace the superior fire poer " to soem jedi knights form 5 represents a worthy discipline prepaeared fro any threat , to others form 5 seems to foster an inappropriate focus on dominating others .

form 6 (most of the jedi who died on geonoisis)

in the time of palaptines chancellorship ,form 6 is teh current standarrd in jedui lightsaber training .this form balnces the empases of other forms with overall moderation ,in keeping with the jedi quest to acheive true harmony and justice without resorting to the rule of power .its considered the "diplomats form" becauseits les intensive in its demands than te ote rdisciplines ,alowwing te jedi to spend more time developing their skillsin preception politcal startagy and neogation . form 6 well suits the modern day jedi role in the galxy in which a jedi knight overly traibned in martail comabt might be at a los

12. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The stronger you are in the force, the better you are with a lightsaber.

Again, no one disputes this. But there's a big difference between "the stronger you are the better you are" and "without the Force, just plain give up".

13. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    and i think the force is required to use a saber effectively (sp) b/c they can control the saber with the force. so they kno where the blade is. a force-null wouldn't know b/c energy has no weight therefore the wont know where the blade is without visual contact of it.

But, again, according to the Star Wars Radio Drama, a lightsaber meets resistance when swung through the air, which effectively gives it weight.

14. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003

form 7(mace windu)

only high level masters of multiple forms can acheive and control as form 7 .this is most difficult and demading of all forms ,but it can lead to fantastic power and skill form 7 employs bold ,direct movements ,more open and kinectic than form 5
    but not so elaborate in appearence as form 4 in addition to very advanced force assisted jumps and movements form 7 tactics over whelm opponets wit seemingly unconnect stacco sequences ,aking teh form highly unpredictable in battle thsi trait makes for a much more difficult execution than te graceful linked moves of form 4 form 7 requires the inmtensity of 5 but much greater nergy since that focus is wielded more broadly. form 7 draws upon a deeper well of emotion than form 5 ,yet masters it more fully teh outward bearing of a form 7 practioner is one of calm ,but teh inner pressure verges on explosion form 7 is still under development ,since so few can achieve the necessary mastery to advance the art .,

15. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Sure, any moron can wave a lightsaber around. But they can't block blaster bolts without the Force, even with training, so what good does it do them? All anyone with a blaster has to do is not get within three feet of the dummy with the blade. Lightsabers are pretty useless to those without the Force - unless they keep one for cutting through things or something.

And from what I gathered from Shatterpoint, Jedi DO have a special connection with the lightsaber they built.

16. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Sure, any moron can wave a lightsaber around. But they can't block blaster bolts without the Force, even with training, so what good does it do them? All anyone with a blaster has to do is not get within three feet of the dummy with the blade. Lightsabers are pretty useless to those without the Force - unless they keep one for cutting through things or something.

That's really beside the point. The question isn't "How often will a Force-null have the chance to use a lightsaber in combat?" or even "How well will a Force-null do against a blaster in combat, wielding a lightsaber?".

The question is "Can a Force-null use a lightsaber at all, or is the Force required?". The answer, of course, is that while a Force-null would be turned into cold cuts by a Force-wielder in two seconds, there's nothing to prevent them from wielding one with skill against another similarly-armed Force-null. It's just a sword. A rather funky, energy-based sword, but still a sword.

And from what I gathered from Shatterpoint, Jedi DO have a special connection with the lightsaber they built.

Perhaps so, but the films show that this is not necessary for wielding a lightsaber. Luke did okay with Anakin's old lightsaber, the one Ben gave him. Anakin fought using Obi's saber in AOTC.

17. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Han did a pretty good job cutting that Taun-Taun open.

18. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    I think that maybe SOME Jedi have a special connection with their lightsabres.Anakin didn´t-he was always screwing up his weapon(this is shown very clearly in AOTC,it´s not EU).Obi-Wan constructed a replica of his lightsabre,but in the end the Jedi only see the lightsabre as a tool,nothing more(with some exptions).

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm sure that a non Jedi could build a lightsaber if he/she had plans for building one. The person would have to be really precise in the arranging of parts, but i'm sure that it could be done...

20. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    RocketGirl: That's really beside the point. The question isn't "How often will a Force-null have the chance to use a lightsaber in combat?" or even "How well will a Force-null do against a blaster in combat, wielding a lightsaber?".

The question is "Can a Force-null use a lightsaber at all, or is the Force required?"

That's great, RocketGirl. Now do me a favor and GO BACK AND READ MY POST. I answered the question. My apologies if I was too verbose for your tastes.

If people didn't give their opinions, then you'd have a whole board full of "yes" or "no" posts and nothing else.

EDIT: Because I am not hooked on phonics

21. hawkbatty

hawkbatty Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2003
    As for any Jedi being able to block blaster shots...tell that to Coleman Trabor. Depending if you want to harp on the EU or not, Vader was said to have used energy absorbtion when Han fired at him. Taking that energy and calmly wresting the blaster from Han's grip. Just in case the Darth Maul precog horse isn't dead yet, emotions can cloud rational thought. Overconfidence clouds caution. And as Darth D brought out, he didn't know exactly what Obi-Wan was going to do.

22. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Read the duel between Dooku and Yoda in the AOTC novelization,it clearly says that Yoda's movements and lightsaber strikes are assisted by the Force and that Dooku has to draw upon the Force so strongly that his physical body is a conduit for the force, it also says that some of yoda's lightsaber strikes are so powerfull that dooku has to use the force to back the power of behind his blade otherwise yoda would drive his blade right through him.

23. Fat_Guy86

Fat_Guy86 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    anyone can use a light saber (Han Solo in TESB)

but it takes a jedi (or sith for that matter) to use it properly

the force your mental and physical abilitys, not the mechanics or neccisarily the skill of using the light saber

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I don't even know why this is a question. Of course it does.

As far as I understand it, when a Jedi is in combat, everything goes very slowly for him thanks to the force. Even the most powerful fighter, without the Force, would move to slow to be able to hit a Jedi.

This also contributes to the Jedi's ability to deflect blaster shots.

25. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, the midichlorians might be what connects one to the Force, but actual Force ability, like lightsaber ability, is a learned skill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.