main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Is Lothal gonna get slagged?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly. According to the Talk Page for that Wookieepedia article, it was the Incredible Cross Sections book for Episode 3 that explained it this way.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    This makes sense to me. I can imagine bombardment from a few Star Destroyers destroying all major cities and killing most of the population, but I'm not sure if they could completely devastate the planet and make it uninhabitable.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends on the timeframe. If it's 1 hour, it'll require much bigger booms, than if its longer duration - in which the planet can be coated in craters, each crater surrounded by a blast zone.

(That's assuming guns alone - no chemical weapons, bioweapons, nano-plagues, etc.)

The "sea of molten rock metres deep from pole to pole" interpretation was the one that the 200+ gigaton bolts were written for (probably with each bolt somehow turned into a "spread" effect that melts a vast area of rock but only shallowly).

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm not sure Lothal will be attacked. I just read Darth Vader #1, and it reinforces dialogue said in ANH that Palpatine needs senate support to maintain legitimacy and compliance OR he needed the Death Star to force people into compliance. At this point in time, the Death Star is not ready yet and the Senate is still functioning. If the Empire openly attacked a planet, that wouldn't be smart. The star destroyers obviously aren't enough to coerce the galaxy into submission, or else Palpatine wouldn't be going through all the trouble of building the Death Star. So if it got out that a Star Destroyer laid waste to an Imperial planet, it would be difficult to cover up and maintain order in the Senate - which Palpatine still needs at this point. Palpatine states that in the wake of the Death Star's destruction that his Empire is more chaotic than it has ever been, since the Senate is not there to allow him to "hold" power and the Death Star isn't there to allow him to "force" control.

A star destroyer attacking the Empire's own people is not enough to force control, and it risks alienating the Senate from which Palpatine holds power.

Alpha-Red and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which leaves one wondering -

exactly what does "another planetary liberation via the Base Delta Zero initiative" actually mean - and how accurate is Sabine's claim that it's "total extermination of a population"?

Maybe the Empire is expanding - into the Unknown Regions - wiping out newly discovered alien populations (and calling it "liberation") and moving in colonists to settle the newly bare (but still usable) planets?

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    What episode was that mentioned in?

Before Rebels aired, Pablo did a presentation about the show and he had mentioned how people saw the Empire as a positive thing and that the Empire was expanding into the Outer Rim and annexing systems because "independent systems" were blamed for The Clone Wars. And he compared Lothal to a small town at the end of a railway line, and that the Empire came in and pretty much made promises that Lothal would prosper as it would no longer be the end of the line, but instead a hub from which the Empire would expand further into the Outer Rim. And we see that there is an Imperial Academy on Lothal. And it just seems like Lothal is a big investment for the Empire, I don't see why they'd destroy it, or its population.

I just remember Sabine commenting on her discovery of the Empire's 5 year plan for the Outer Rim, and in five years it obviously culminates with the inauguration of the Death Star which can obviously exterminate a population. But again, I don't remember that entire line of dialogue.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Rise of the Old Masters - when listening to an Imperial news report.

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn't realize that Base-Delta-Zero was already an established thing in the EU, so that went over my head. I still don't think that it will mean exactly what it meant in the EU, just because Wookieepedia describes it as a naval code for destroying a planet's surface, while in Rebels it is mentioned on a public radio broadcast as an "initiative" and as "liberating" a planet. My guess is that "Base-Delta-Zero" is being repurposed to refer to the Death Star. Sabine stumbles onto a five year plan for the Outer Rim and information on BDZ is top secret. But five years is precisely when the Death Star becomes operational. And the Death Star's purpose is along the same lines of what Base-Delta-Zero's was. It could be that publicly the Base-Delta-Zero initiative refers to expansion and industrialization of the Outer Rim, with "liberation" of a planet referring to a system annexed by the Empire as part of this process - which ostensibly benefits those planets. While the real purpose for Bade-Delta-Zero might be the acquisition of industries and materials away from core systems, where the Death Star can be constructed.

I mean it could still mean what it meant in the EU, because the Imperials committed genocide against the Lasat and there doesn't seem to be any kind of outrage against that. So maybe they can get away with laying waste to Lothal. But I can't imagine such activities being used in propaganda. I'd imagine that's something that they wouldn't broadcast.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We'll have to wait and see.

The relevant quote from "Sabine: My Rebel Sketchbook":

There are so many ways the Empire lies to people! I started picking up on this when I attended the Academy, and since then I've learned it's even worse than I thought.

That Base Delta Zero initiative the Empire keeps talking about? The new "key to planetary liberation"? Don't believe it. It's a military code phrase, and it means TOTAL EXTERMINATION OF A PLANETARY POPULATION. It's completely loathsome.

10. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RonPaulMan.gif.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Tantive IV -like ships against Star Destroyers, I think we saw how that panned out at the beginning of ANH.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There needs to be a reason that people are rebelling against the Empire when ANH begins. This seems like a good reason.

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    That could be Mustafar, though...

yellowturtle and captainkenbo like this.
  14. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah..... Is Mustafar going to get slagged.. [face_thinking]

Lol too late tbh...........

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    1. It looks like Mustafar to me, only under different lighting conditions and more shadow,

[​IMG]

2. We know Kanan is being taken to Mustafar and the Ghost's crew want to rescue him...
    3. Depending on where the pov is in relation to Mustafar, it would explain why the other planet is not in view (e.g. if the pov is looking out from the larger planet; or the pov is just too close to Mustar that it takes up most of the screen and obscures the larger mass behind it).

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya thats not Lothal.

17. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Correction:
    "A TARGET POPULATION"
    No confirmation yet that BDZ in the new canon is planet-killing.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Whoops - I had the book in my hand and I still didn't notice I'd changed a word in the process of copying the info down.

19. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    SHUT UP, DON'T RUIN MY DREAMS!

yellowturtle likes this.
  20. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    "population killing" is quite ambiguous.

As much as I'd like to see something akin to a BDZ happen (hell, a Taris-style one would be fine, as it ended up killing most of the population), I highly doubt it'll be shown (even with all the BDZ talk in the show), and what exactly a BDZ-I is will have to be interpreted later on in the canon if someone touches on it.

I hold out some hope though, as I know Filoni was a Robotech fan, and that has something similar to a BDZ done on earth.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It's Mustafar

22. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Well if it doesn't happen in the finale. It could very well be in the Season 2 premiere ep at Celebration.

Hamawald likes this.
  23. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014

Something to immediately set up the new status quo for Season 2? I'd like that:)

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd like the BDZ of Lothal to be handled kinda like the Exterminatus of Typhon Primaris in WH40K.

[​IMG]

Well, I can't imagine Tarkin making quite such a melodramatic, theatrical speech in which he pretended to sound all sorrowful and pious as he exterminated a world. But other than that, it's the kinda look and feel that I think would be appropriate.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even Saxton didn't claim that one turbolaser bolt (or possibly concussion missile?) would reduce the whole planet to slag though :D - it's always a hail of bolts over a long period.