main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Luke independently wealthy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Sep 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Or does he draw a pension from the New Republic? Or perhaps he mooches off of Han and Leia?

2. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    I've brought this up before. Strictly speaking, I think Leia shared her personal wealth due to her Royal Heritage. Han mentioned in 'Rebirth' that the Senate seized his assets though.

I never really read Dark Empire II...did Luke keep Vader's Castle and the contents within? Perhaps Vader had a cashe of precious jewels or gold.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember discussing this a while ago.

We decided Luke did ad endorsements.

"When I faced the Emperor I used light-bright lightsabres, the best sabre out there."

"When I have an Death Star Sized headache, I use Photon Torpedo Advil, the fastest working headache medicine out there.
    When your headache just can't wait.. Torpedo it."

The really big money is in the endorsements.

4. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am sure he gets some sort of pension.. but seriously.. with his backround he may have been given the GFFA equivalent of a book deal or movie rights or something like that.

5. A Smuggler's Spin

A Smuggler's Spin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2000
    What does he really need money for? His X-wing was presented to him as a gift, it gets all its repairs and fuel for free. The NR supports his Praxeum with food and all the other little needs. They installed power generators, left a tech crew and for at least a little while there were NR Troopers on planet.

I can't serioulsy think of anything he would need to buy. If we consdier that his room and board are payed for, both at Yavin and in the Imperial Palace. The fuel and matenince on his X-Wing are free. When he travels on a dimplomatic mission he is provided with everything.

Plus we know he sold the moister farm, drew a paycheck as a commander, and we know he was gifted his x-wing. It's safe to assume he was gifted other things. Whether he would accept actual money(credits) is debatable, but no doubt what monies he has has been invested in various mutual funds and IRAs. NR savings bonds anyone?

Maybe he gets a consultation fees. Lando may have also given him a small cut of his operations, especially the ones he either directly made possible or saved. NO doubt Luke could purchase a Star Destroyer if he wanted.

And that doesn't include his princess sister and his smuggler wife. [face_clown]

6. HALCYONERA

HALCYONERA Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2001
    If that is the case given the current relationship between the Jedi & the New Republic then those freebies could being going if they have not already gone. Luke may have also claimed some of his father's money if it was not claimed by the Imperial Miltary after Vader's death, it is briefly mentioned in Shadows Of The Empire that Vader was one of the most wealthy individiuals in the Empire.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the source of the Wealth I imagine it was more likely to have been siezed by the NR.

Besides it's not like Vader had time to dicatate a will. "In case I die after getting zapped by Palpatine in one last heroic effort to save my son by throwing said Emperor down a large convinent shaft, I give all my money to my son and his sister who I don't know about."

besides in the current situation I'd say Luke is mooching off his Smuggler wife.
    He got himself a sugermama. ;)

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Luke is a pirate at best. He scours the galaxy absconding with valuable artifacts under the guise of "but they're Jedi artifacts, so I should have them." No one can dispute him, because he's the self-proclaimed Jedi Master.

JediMasterBob: But that's my great, great, great grandfather's ancient and valuable Jedi Medallion.
    Luke: Bah. You'll hurt yourself. Allow me to take it.
    JediMasterBob: I will hurt myself. Here, why don't you take it.
    Luke: (To others) Rare Jedi Medallion, 5,000 creds. Going to the highest bidder!

Luke doesn't need handouts or subsidies or any other welfare programs. I'm sure the "hand wave" gets him by just fine.

9. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    He obviously mooches off of his sister.

10. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i thought i remembered hearing somewhere in the books, that he had generous cash gifts from a few generous and gracious citizens...

11. Eldritch009

Eldritch009 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Among which, Lando. I've read that too.

Cigam Retah: The remark from Han about the NR seizing their assets...that was a joke to his son. Jacen realizes it moments after.

12. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    That's what I get for skimming.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Let's not assume Luke is a mooch guys.

According to the Essential Chronology Luke Skywalker achieved the rank of General in the Galactic Rebellion shortly after the Truce at Bakura.

It's likely Luke personally has a pension as a former Starfighter commander of the Highest rank.

Also his religeous order probably recieves the full wealth of its' members and gifts from concerned galactic citizens.

I doubt there was much nto looted in Vader's castle which I think was probably abandoned.

14. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Luke gets his wealth from all of the rich female admirers he's wooed over the years, all of which send him hundreds of thousands of heart-shaped credits every year on Galactic Valentine's Day...

Ok, so the mind trick and wealthy sister theories are slightly more plausible. :p

15. Xizora

Xizora Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 1999
    He gets a pension from the NR. That is what happens when people retire. He is a retired pilot.

16. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    after all the times he's saved the galaxy's butt, you'd better believe he gets a pension! besides, he was pretty high up in the military, and usually military officers have quite a bit of money. his sister is wealthy, his wife is... well probably not wealthy but comfortable, his father was wealthy, he gets donations and offerings and gifts and whatnot from people all over the galaxy who support the Jedi... i'd say Luke is pretty well off.

17. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    athyrafire is proably right i am going with her answer.

18. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I bet he get's subsidised by the NR as he is the trainer of the Jedi.

19. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    "I bet he get's subsidised by the NR as he is the trainer of the Jedi."

Not anymore. The government wants nothing to do with the Jedi.

20. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    they will regret that when the war is over, luke can say to hell with you for bit to the new republic and out of guild he will get his jedicouncil.

21. Mace_Winduel

Mace_Winduel Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2000
    I would assume that most Leia's wealth went up in smoke on Alderaan. But I am sure being part of the senate at one point had its perks.

22. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    OR he could order all his jedi friends to take over the NR together with him and then get a hold of all of their treasures.
    'cause secretely luke is unbelievably poor, close to the edge of economical extinction. that pension your all talking about, forget it. the Nr excpects every high ranking fighter pilot to die in duty and therefor they don't have to pay them. those who, unlikely enough, don't die that way are killed by NRI agents.
    it's quite a challenge though to kill a jedi master..
    see I solved your mystery!

23. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    In addition, perhaps Luke receives donations - directly or indirectly - and in a variety of forms?

For example, the ship that Kyp Durron and Dorsk 82 take to Corbos in Jedi Academy: Leviathan is a donation to the Jedi Praxeum.

24. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    "I can't serioulsy think of anything he would need to buy."

He's gotta eat occassionally.

He mooched off his sister and Han and yes, I'm sure the hand wave would work just fine. Most of the stuff he gets is free. Everybody is happy to treat him to dinner, allow him to have a room for free. Advertising: Luke Skywalker stayed here. He gets a lot of free stuff.

25. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    That was Dorsk 81, wasn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.