1. Post spoilers in the official The Force Awakens spoiler thread only, using a spoiler tag! Violators will be banned!

Is Luke independently wealthy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Sep 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    No,

Ana's correct.

Dork81 fried himself flingling Daala's fleet across the galaxy. His clone-brother, Dork82, took his place in JA:L.
  2. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    This is a very interesting question DL.

Yes, I agree that Leia would have considerable wealth, and Han could have set himself up well from his smuggling days, but Luke, I don't know?

Perhaps he could have gone on a lecture tour like Bill Clinton! :)

From memory, in the Old Republic, weren't the Jedi funded by concerned people, and weren't the Jedi institution *very* wealthy, I am sure I read somewhere that they have a monetary storehouse in the Jedi Temple?!
  3. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Leia might have had investments outside of the Galactic Bank branch on Alderaan...

However those assets would have been frozen and siezed by the Empire upon her revelation as a traitor.

We do that here in the USA let alone a fascist state like the Empire.

If she had a storehouse of jewels etc then she probably would have given them to the Alliance as well (The Alliance didn't want to pay Han it's reward in the novelization because it's so poor)

As President of the Galaxy she probably made a modest sum and recieved good boarding etc and afterwards probably pension for being a General in the Galactic Republic herself....

Han Solo and Leia both being generals and one a retired Senator and President (do they get pensions?) likely form a fairly modest income.

Luke as a retried General as well probably recieves similar benifits plus gifts from concerns across the galaxy.

The Jedi's assets of the Old Republic were no doubt siezed by the Empire as well.

Also Darth vader's assets would be quickly repossesed by the Government upon his death.
  4. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Luke was a commander...maybe he gets retirement pay? Or maybe he talks to Ghent to fix up his account in the Galactic bank?
  5. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I think you people are still missing the major money he's made from endorsement contracts.

Air Skywalkers, Jedi Brand Potato Chips... he'd make a killing!

I don't think Luke has any problems monitarily. Certainly he isn't rich but I'd say he has a comfortable living where he can do what he wants without worrying about money.
  6. _JM_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course they stopped the pension when they found out he'd squashed that E-Wing (and the poor little R-7 Unit! What did the R-7 ever do to Luke? MURDERER!!! :p ) they'd lent him and decided he should pay them back (fortunately if he lives as long as Yoda he might manage to pay it off).

Freak Accident?- OK, insurance will cover it.
    Get Shot Down?- OK, insurance will cover it.
    Mechanical Malfunction?- OK, insurance will cover it.
    Squash it when you collapse the castle/retreat you built?- Insurance won't cover that, you'll have to pay! :)
  7. exar-tull Force Ghost

star 5
    that was on loan from admiral acbar, he said for luke to think that he was part of a miltia.
    i dout they willhave him pay for it.
  8. _JM_ Jedi Master

star 4
    One thing to lose it in a normal fashion, another thing to deliberately squash it.

Besides haven't you seen the film "Hot Shots"? Something like...

"Your error of judgment led to the loss of a 18 million dollar airplane"
    "Yes, I know, but I'm paying it back at 50 dollars a week - and I wouldn't have to do that if I'd got the comprehensive insurance"

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough that I was being semi-humourous.
  9. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Actually Starfighters even presumably E-wings only cost about a 100,000 credits new.

10. A Smuggler's Spin Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm assuming that Luke is provided with food wherever he goes. I'm also assuming anything normal people would need to buy he would have provided for him.

All the basic needs are supplied(or were) by the NR. There was a supply ship that went to Yavin every week for untold years. I doubt it was shipping empty cargo cannisters. It would have had food, medical supplies, spare parts, toothbrushed toliet paper, etc.

While on Coruscant he has his own living quarters. In the Imperial Palace no less. I'm sure each week it is supplied with all the same things. When he's on planet he can go to any NR facility and get a free meal, or dine with a old friend, a senator, whoever.

While on a mission he would be able to take suitable supplies, again provided to him. If he's on a dimplomatic mission he would be of course provided things by the state.

So again, what exactly does he need to buy? :D
  11. RogueJaina Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know, I think that the NR provided things in the past, but might not now...

I'm betting Mara has the money in the family.

12. Darth Tuna Jedi Master

star 2
    If the U. S. is any indication, the military takes good care of its own. I think Luke has a pension and is comfortable , but not wealthy. However, I also think he is a modest and fairly non-materialistic individual and lives pretty simply. I think Mara is loaded and probably has more stashed away than Leia. In the Thrawn trilogy, a great deal was made of the fact that she was cautious and prudent with her money and always had reserves in a safe place.

Or maybe he endorses "Jedi" brand underwear - " Covers your Lightsaber in style!"
  13. Corran9 Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke stitches "Incom" patches into his robes, and they advertize that Incom made the X-wing he blew up the deathstar with.

I think he's pretty rich. If you think about it he doesnt waste much money. Like it was stated earlier, everything he needs is given to him: room, board whatever else he wants... So whatever money he has made of the years has basically been left to accumulate interest.
  14. Simone Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Was Luke a General?
  15. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Luke is a hermit. He dosn't need much money. He built a ship for his wife from parts. He lives inside his robes. He is related to royality and galatic leaders. He is a hero a hundred times over. HeHis best friend is a con artist who always seems to be trying to get richer and richer. He has no worries in the money department.

In the intergalatic alien invasion department though...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.