main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Luke Skywalker going to cross blades with Vader again?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I really don't want the significance of the duel in Empire Strikes Back to be destroyed, by having Vader and Luke fight every week. I feel that it will come to that in the upcoming Vader/Star Wars comics.

SateleNovelist11, spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    Definitely in Vader Down, it's a crossover so they will cross with blades and clash for the fate of both sides.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    How do we know they will? And anyway, this is new canon so anything is possible. I wouldn't mind seeing them cross again, especially after the book Weapon of a Jedi. It would make the hunt for Luke in Empire that more desperate, because in The Empire Strikes Back, the whole movie/story was about Vader going after Luke....why? What was it that was so important? The old EU never really touched it, Splinter of the Minds Eye covered it but not with the information that we have today. I wouldn't bet against it this time, and like I've told everyone not only here but at the comic shops. One has to unlearn and not compare, add, or subtract from this EU to the other one because they are going to be different. heck there different already and we haven't even gotten the new movie yet. Luke already fighting three balls? Give it a chance and see. I know I am. in fact, now we are answering more questions that the old EU never touched.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Vader

5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    One thing I didn't like about the old EU that was almost immediately brought back into the new canon was the fact that Luke dueled Vader before Empire Strikes Back. I'm disappointed this has already happened in the new canon, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Dr. Steve Brule, spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so many people need to read the Goodwin-Williamson Classic Star Wars - maybe Marvel will be canny enough to issue it as one big Epic trade.

So, since last week then!

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Considering that finding Luke is Vader #1 priority, he must be really inept to have taken 3 years to find a kid that Boba found in a couple of days.

Also how does Vader know he will come after the crew of the millenium falcon in ESB unless they'd met a few times and he found out a little bit about his prey.

Luke: I'll die before you hurt my friends Vader!
    Vader: Interesting.........

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We have a similar thorn in the eye in canon with Anakin vs Dooku weekly duels in TCW. I have faith that the people at Marvel are more sensible than that. Next duel between Luke and Vader is on Cloud City, period. Star Wars is more than lightsabers.

9. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I don't really care either way. It could make for an interesting comic story, but I'm not going to count as "canon" personally. Like with Anakin v Dooku, I can watch TCW and like it but then when I watch ROTS I know for a fact that Anakin and Dooku hadn't met each other since AOTC, even if it is supposed to be "canon" that they fought every week.

Riv_Shiel and spicer like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless it turns out that the "diplomatic mission to Circarpous" referenced in Weapon of a Jedi is a very very broad strokes recanonization of Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    They'll fight about 20 times I suspect.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't read all of the EU set between Ep IV and Ep V, but there was only one Luke and Vader duel pre Ep V, the one in Splinter of the Minds Eye? And in the new canon they've already dueled in the comics (maybe not a duel really, but they've technically crossed lightsabers), so in Vader Down there's a potential for two duels...
    I guess that's the best way to approach the saga in the end.

13. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

Does he actually duel him, though? The bit at the weapons factory is more a confrontation than a duel (and one that Vader instantly wins.)

Luke's first lightsaber-to-lightsaber actually honest-to-God duel still remains ESB (and if you count a duel as a fight against a single opponent armed with something else, then his first non-Vader duel is in Weapon of a Jedi.)

Jedi Ben and Taalcon like this.
  14. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I think people are exaggerating the amount of times Anakin and Dooku met in The Clone Wars. I don't think they did at all after season 4, which leaves plenty of time for such a reference.

Also, Empire won't be diminished, because whatever stories they tell in-between, you saw Empire first and presumably so did 99% of people reading the comic, so it's still the first time for you and just as powerful as ever.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Duels after Season 4 between those two - The Lost One in Season 6, and during Dark Disciple.

Joe Kalicki, Davak24 and spicer like this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Not to disrupt the time-honored tradition of fans leaping wildly to conclusions with little or no information, but there's no reason to assume Luke and Vader will duel in this series. There are plenty of ways Luke and Vader could both appear in the series without actually coming into blade-to-blade contact. Aaron and Gillen have both shown a talent for toying with our expectations about the continuity while at the same time fully respecting it and its boundaries, so I'd expect more of the same in Vader Down.
    The number of times they encountered each other isn't entirely an exaggeration - by my rough count they met seven times over the course of TCW (including Dark Disciple), with five of those times being lightsaber duels (and two being post-season 4, as Iron_lord pointed out). Now, whether or not that actually poses a problem in relation to Anakin's line in ROTS is another story. Since we don't know exactly how much time passed between DD and ROTS, I personally don't see an issue with it. Others do, and that's fine.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Remember this issue of Marvel Star Wars adapting the film? Remember how Luke literally dueled Vader in that scene both in the movie and the issue itself? Wait...
    [​IMG]

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Pomojema = Snoke ;)

19. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Welp, I better read Dark Disciple!

20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The issue is that it wasn't just that one line about powers being doubled by Anakin, that implied this was their 2nd encounter. Obiwan mentions to Anakin that they will take him together this time, since the last time film wise, Anakin screwed up by attacking alone. Dooku also makes the remark about twice the pride double the fall (paraphrasing here).

Of course they could give us even another duel post Season 5, pre-RoTS, in which Anakin and Obiwan should attack Dooku together, but Anakin jumps the gun again and fails. The retcon then is that is their most recant duel before RoTS, not the AoTC one. However it would make Anakin look stupid. And already people don't want to see more Anakin vs Dooku.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Season 6 duel (The Lost One), Anakin is alone at the end of the fight because it was impossible to get them both across the gap between the building and the ship Dooku was standing on - so Obi-one gave him a big boost to his Force jump - but was unable to jump that far himself without help.

Dooku's escape (which I think included a duel between him and Anakin) took place "offscreen" in Dark Disciple and is only referred to - so I don't know for sure if he fought Dooku on his own there.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

That was the beauty of the old Marvel series. Vader didn't know it was Luke Skywalker until issue #35 of the original Marvel series. Dark Horse changed that when they had Vader learning about Luke a few weeks after the Battle of Yavin. Marvel is just following suit.

My opinion is since Marvel already had a meeting, they need to make sure they don't meet before ESB now. I think it was too early IMHO but if they cross paths every few stories, I don't think that will fit with ESB.

spicer likes this.
  23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Cherrios4U98- Well, here is the problem buddy, you didn't like the old EU, and you think that this new EU is going to do things like the old. Let me tell you that is not going to happen and anything is going to happen. What will not happen is the stamp of approval being made by Pablo and the story group. They got rid of everything from the old eu. So....only the movies and TCW and Rebels are it, along with the material that was released for new canon. So, Luke never fought Vader before in new canon (unitl the new Marvel 1-6 series which is official canon).

jediben- I not only have read Classic Star Wars, but I have both versions. From the 20 issue run from Dark Horse to Cochron's expensive tome. They are great, but, and however, unfortunately thanks to the sale of star wars to Disney, Kennedy creating the story group (per Chris Taylor's new book) and Pablo Hidalgo as the man who puts the stamp of approval, all those stories before from Zahn's books, to Williamson's newspaper strips to the New Jedi Order, Legacy, are gone. As in never happened. Yeah, for us it did, but for the new timeline, EU it doesn't. Comparing these stories to what came before is really actinide because one is Legends (don't count) and one if official. It sucks, but it is what it is. Did old canon depart...naw, they just use the ships, weapons, gear, and other things, but the stories get tossed and changed, deleted, what not. So why those stories were damn good, they don't count. Vader and Luke only faced each other in the new Marvel series and Luke before going to Dagobah can now take on three remotes three. (Weapon of the Jedi). So I have read it, it just don't count and personal canon is squat.

And everybody on these boards that keep saying Marvrel got to do this, and Marvel got to stop doing that. What you need to say is the story group this and the story group that because everything goes through Pablo, Chee, that lady, and some one else. They stamp the approval, not Marvel. They can come up with an idea, but the story group, the story group makes the decision. Not Marvel, Not Del Rey, Not GL.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    someone make a che guevara style poster of pablo

25. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    I honestly hope they do. Vader needs a few more fights, especially since the last few Vader issues have been really boring.