main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Luke stronger than Vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheDisharmony, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    that makes doubt and self conflict one of the most op things ever, to make a long time sith weak and powerless

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well ... yeah. ;)

Thedarksideisgreater likes this.
  3. 10e10

10e10 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2015
    That is true, but Luke was also conflicted himself, between saving his father or doing what Obi-Wan and Yoda asked of him. And that is what makes this duel so good.

In my opinion, Luke is stronger than Vader, but not in the sense of absolute power, but because of his enormous potential, the same potential Palpatine fears it will destroy him. That's why Luke can be so good with almost no training at all. Yoda said himself that Luke needed no more training, being a full fledged Jedi Knight, only missing his final duel with Vader. It was not skill that was missing, but controlling his emotions after using his power and potential.

But all of this maybe will be answered in the next movies or some more books and comics placed after Endor, so we get to know more of Luke's power by that time. I think that the new canon won't change the 'Vader wasn't what he was supposed to become, but his son could become that'.

Sent from mTalk - Windows 10

4. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    To weigh into the debate I would strongly go with those that say Luke would defeat Vader. He was the chosen one and brought to the attention of the rebels by Obi-Wan-Kenobi. Had he turned to the Dark Side the Empire would grow and grow.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Luke had the potential to be as strong as Vader would have been had he sustained none of his injuries. That is not to say that Vader was not one of the best lightsaber duelists and Force-wielders in galactic history. In terms of the ability to resist the dark side, embrace love, and control oneself, Luke is stronger than Vader in ROTJ until Vader overcomes his inner conflict and decides to do the right thing.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It's been decanonized that Vader's injuries weakened him in the force. They didn't.

Luke simply has a lot of innate power, probably on par with Vader's.

7. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    I figure Luke beats Vader because he can adapt to any environment and go in for the knock out blow with his lightsaber. Sidious beats Luke because he fights with bolts of electricity. Vader makes sense can beat up Sidious. He would suspect nothing also Vader was trained by his former mentor Obi-Wan so he knows about the light side of the force and does not underestimate its power. Sidious is none the wise and arrogant in his own abilities.

8. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

There's the issue of trying to reconcile retcons in the PT & even the OT. We were also told by OBW that Anakin was aslo the greatest star pilot in the galaxy, but arguably at this point GL hadn't thought of the plot twist of Vader & Anakin being the same character.

9. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    can you say for sure who's stronger from the lightsaber duels without considering them as part of the story arc? Luke's defeat at Bespin ,& final victory in ROTJ suit the classic 3 act structure- hero overcomes adversity etc etc

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas has said since TESB, that Luke's father was a powerful Jedi.

YODA: "Ah, your father. Powerful Jedi was he, hehe. Hmmm. Powerful Jedi, mmm."

It doesn't matter when Lucas came up with it, the fact is that Luke's father was considered a powerful Jedi. The only thing the PT did was put a quantification on it, so that the audience could understand how powerful he was.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Luke is not the chosen one.

12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    The final battle didn't come down to who was stronger with the force but with a light saber. That's where Vader's injuries hurt him. Now ROTS Anakin would mop the floor with Luke.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The force definitely amped up Luke's physical strength as well or otherwise he would not be able to beat down a 7 foot cyborg monster that can lift a grown human with one hand.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    At that point, Luke is not stronger than Vader. What we see in ROTJ is a combination of Luke basically tapping into the Dark Side briefly and Vader not actually wanting to fight Luke. As I've mentioned in other threads before, Vader has already been trending back to the Light Side of the force, and Luke mentions both on Endor and on the Death Star that he can feel the conflict within him. He doesn't actually want to fight Luke, and we can see once Luke goes into his rage, Vader gives way the entire time and then just hangs on to the railing and lets Luke bash away at him. Now yes, being in the suit hampers his physical abilities a bit, but still the fact remains, he doesn't want to fight Luke.

thejeditraitor and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Whatever you might say about force power or lightsaber duelng Luke certainly was not as good as his father when it came to piloting. He crashes land twice in ESB.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Emperor does say "He could destroy us" of Luke.

18. Bossk74

Bossk74 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    At the end of ROTJ after Luke beats Vader the Emperor tells Luke to take his fathers place at his side. This implies to me that even the Emperor saw the strength Luke possessed over his father.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Hey thejeditraitor if your not going to provide me the decency of explaining your opposing view than consider yourself rebuked.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    And the fact Vader was now an older man. Luke was much younger with many years ahead of him. Palpatine was trading in his old toy for a new one.

21. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I say they were both equally powerful which is what I like about Luke he wasn't powerful right out of the gate like a certain character in TFA he had struggles and was only able to beat his father by giving into his anger briefly.

22. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Really?! Do you have a source?

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm on my phone so quoting is difficult, but it is stated on the first page of "Lords of the Sith" that Mustafar strengthened Vader's connection to the force which is a complete 180 from Lucas' Canon.

24. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    No, I believe however that the force is sensitive to Han whether he believes in it or not.

Yeah, that mystical energy field was all up in his destiny and his actions all along in my opinion. Blind to the force on a conscious level but still deeply connected to it.

25. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    We could always have the same argument we do between Darth Sidious fighting Mace Windu with Luke fighting Vader in this instance. Did Vader let Luke win?