main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Luke the most inherently likeable protagonist of all time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    All this talk of Mark Hamill coming back made me really stop and think about something.

Is Luke the most likeable and relatable main character ever created?

I really can't think of anyone else.

Sarge and VanishingReality like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tintin. He never had 70s hair...

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I too wanted to pick up some power converters.

TX-20, V-2, cdgodin and 3 others like this.
  4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I like the character of Luke Skywalker. We meet him in his early twenties wanting to do something more fulfilling with his life and we see him become a man. There is no other way to put it but, his simplicity is what makes us want to understand him more. To root for him, to see him grow and to become the most powerful Jedi because he didn't fall to the Dark Side. He was willing to sacrifice himself, to lay it down, before his father could do what he was supposed to do. Luke was the kid many of us could relate to.

5. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    I wouldn't say he's the most likable, but if you're taking the EU into account, he's definitely one of the characters that we get to know the most thoroughly. There's something to like and dislike about him in every story arc, and in every story arc, his better qualities are always the ones to shine the most. Also, it's him and his family (extended and immediate) that are the focus of most EU stories, and the major focus of the films.

AronAgmar likes this.
  6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Odysseus?
    My favorite protagonists are Tucker Mouse, Harry Cat and Chester Cricket from The Cricket in Times Square.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Never liked him at all, myself.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    In A New Hope, he was a whiney little punk
    In Empire, he got his ass kicked by Vader because he disobedient and careless
    In Jedi, he was an arrogant prick who thought he was all that just because of his 2 week online University of Phoenix Jedi training class with Yoda...

Other than that, he was a swell guy...

Pensive Padme, Seagoat, Bale and 4 others like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Never been a huge fan, but Luke was always a good guy. I always thought Han and his take on hokey religions made him the most likable and relatable character in SW.

The most inherently likable character ever is Jack Burton.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Han was far more relatable; I love a good cynical and sarcastic smartass. And he was a realist.

I thought Luke was way overrated in the first two films. He was an idealistic kid who followed Obi-Wan around because he wanted to emulate his long-lost father, and found the road to being a hero wasn't as easy as it looked. I thought his story had been told before, multiple times.

Luke's best aspect came in ROTJ when he was the only one who believed that his father could be loved back to the Light Side, and he turned out to be right. Relatable? Definitely not. If I had gotten the news that Luke got on Bespin, my reaction would not have been "I can turn him back to the Light Side," it would have been "Yoda, how long do I have to stay in this swamp before you teach me how to kick his ass? Or should I ask Obi-Wan where the nearest lava pit is, so I can push him in it again?" Luke's reaction was definitely more admirable than that, which makes him a likable character, if not a relatable one.

VanishingReality and minnishe like this.
  11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    FTW!

^:)^

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Luke is likeable?
    But he sassed his elders!

13. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    To me there's not much to dislike about Luke. He's not perfect which is okay because that would be boring. Overall he's brave, idealistic, and kind. He doesn't get angry easily and doesn't talk a lot of smack. And the few times he's whined were understandable. They were mostly about him feeling he was being unnecessarily thwarted from reaching a goal. I like many SW characters but if I had to choose which one I would spend the most time with, it would be the Son of Skywalker. EDITED to add: I'm not sure if he is the most likable character of all time but I think he's definitely in the running for the title

Sarge and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If by "likeable" you mean who would I want to hang out with, the the answer for me is Indiana Jones. I could see my self talking history and going to bars with Indy; not so much with Luke.

Pensive Padme and Admiral Volshe like this.
  15. dmikhail3

dmikhail3 Jedi Knight

Oct 27, 2012
    Well the name alone is just so innately cool, Luke Skywalker. Even better than Casanova Frankenstein :)

16. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    Goku

VanishingReality likes this.
  17. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I like EU Luke more than the OT Luke.

18. Grigsy

Grigsy Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2013
    I suppose Jesus is. Luke is kinda a whinny brat with Uncle Owen....
    Toshy`s station my a&#

19. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Although I do like Luke a lot, I do not think he is the most likeable main character.

20. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite SW character. I do not know who my favorite protagonist of all time is. Too many to choose from....

21. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    If we go just by ANH, I would definitely say yes. Unfortunately in ROTJ he comes off somewhat arrogant to me and not easy to identify with.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    After he blew up a Death Star I'm sure all the Rebels were muttering about what a whiny punk he was while he walked down the hall to get his medal.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  23. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Dalton from Road House

nuff said

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope, he is not

25. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Don't you think he was a little confused? He's kind of in love with his sister.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.