main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Mara ruining the relationship between Luke and Leia?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    <Mara: Shut up, Fester, er Farmboy!>

lmao thats a really funny Addams Family reference

Anyone who says a profoundly deep husband-wife relationship has to interfere with a brother-sister relationship is...well...to censor myself, is absolutely wrong. And if an author can't manage to portray both relationships, then he/she isn't a very good author (or he/she isn't making any sort of effort). Remember that the main characters are almost always paired up in the same way--it was usually Leia/Han and Luke/current sidekick/Mara.

Just remember that Luke and Leia's brother-sister relationship was not developed at ALL by ANY of the SW authors. They've been depicted as no closer then "distant friends" by many of the authors, in fact.

As for the whole Mara thing that's been beaten to death for the past....what? 11 years? ;) I have long since given up on the chance that any sort of continuity in characterization will ever be restored to the EU. As all the main characters are now, I have litte respect for any :( We'll see how Zahn writes Mara in the upcoming Luke/Mara book. Zahn is not at all a "mushy gushy romance" writer at ALL (though his characters could do with a little more emotional expression). I love mush as much as the next teenage girl, but not when it clashes with the rest of the action (which IMHO it does).

I hear there will be a Luke/Mara Valentine's Day comic next year? Gahhh I twinge ._. Well, at least that seems to confirm that she'll survive the NJO...

2. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Elori, I just realized that I basically rephrased your post lol

But we SW fans are passionate people who need to vent every so often, eh? lol

I remember on Amazon.com, when VOTF came out, the reader reviews of VOTF became a veritable message board!! lol (one of the reasons Amazon started it's "Reader review rating" system I think) It's there that I started to hear rumors about a "New Jedi Order" and a comic depicting Luke and Mara's wedding AHHH nostalgia X)

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JoJo...
    "Just remember that Luke and Leia's brother-sister relationship was not developed at ALL by ANY of the SW authors. They've been depicted as no closer then "distant friends" by many of the authors, in fact."

Not quite true. Remember Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye. [face_mischief]

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And let me just say, Genghis...

"Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww..."

:p

5. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    EWW! Actually, I'm still right--because the relationship developed in Splinter is not their official, PC, continuity relationship :p More like a "what if luke and leia were incestuous?" AU story....if only it had been intended that was at the time .___. instead of...what the author thought was really going on.....(as far as stuff can "really go on" in fiction)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    EWW! Actually, I'm still right--because the relationship developed in Splinter is not their official, PC, continuity relationship :p More like a "what if luke and leia were incestuous?" AU story....if only it had been intended that was at the time .___. instead of...what the author thought was really going on.....(as far as stuff can "really go on" in fiction)

Ummmm, actually you're as far from correct as possible. Like i * correct, which would make it imaginary.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye definitely happened in the proper continuity of the GFFA.

It's a canonical source.

Luke and Leia were getting the hots for each other.

It's gross. But they didn't know any better.

7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    <Ummmm, actually you're as far from correct as possible. Like i * correct, which would make it imaginary.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye definitely happened in the proper continuity of the GFFA.

It's a canonical source.

Luke and Leia were getting the hots for each other.

It's gross. But they didn't know any better.>

I'd like one of the people in charge of SW continuity to tell me with a straight face that the relationship portreyed in that book is in keeping with continuity :p

8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    But seriously, I don't think the Luke/Leia relationship in Splinter can be counted as on actualy characterization of their relationship in the EU, as it isn't "continuous" with how they are portryed in all other novels--it clashes. It may be a continuation of the relationship implied in the first two movies, but I think for the purpose of the discussion of this thread, it's a completely irrelevent novel ;) (thank GOODNESS! lol)

Seriously--ANYTHING to keep the dirty images out of my mind :p

9. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    How was their relationship in SotME any different than what was portrayed in the movies, before they found out their true relationship?

I think, although more direct, the portrayal wasn't completely off the wall, based on what they felt for themselves at the time.

Your example about Chewbacca isn't exactly accurrate, because LFL wouldn't "canonize" a current description of him as blue.

SotME was perfectly acceptible in a pre-ROTJ context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.