main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Naboo really more *familiar* than we think??

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnWilliams00, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    This is pure speculation I heard, but someone brought up a good idea that Degobah (Yoda's home) is actually a destroyed Naboo.
    Maybe the once beautiful planet becomes so ravaged that it turns into a modern-day Atlantis, covered in thick swamplands and forests.

One good point to support this theory is when Luke says: "There's something familiar about this place. It's like something out of a dream."

If it were true, wouldn't that be the coolest thing? :)

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Actually, I've my own weird theory:

Dagobah is actually the product of Anakins mind. I'm basing this on the fact that on the sole fact of the cave that is influenced to the Dark Side. I haven't thought of a theory on why the rest of the planet isn't like that though.

Why do I believe this? I want all the Jedi to go there and die (I never did get enough love as a child, you see. ;) ). All except Yoda you goes there after the Sith believe him missing, presumed dead. The planets high level of DSness cloaks him, but he can survive as he hasn't fallen to the DS himself.
    --------------------------------

But back to your idea. Not a new one it must be said, but the idea hasn't been tossed around enough lately.
    My opinion on it: Anything's possible. :)

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    No planet will ever turn into another planet. That's just...lame. [face_plain]

4. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I thought you were gonna say it's Earth! [face_shocked]

Well, it is possible, if you overlook the fact it's in "a galaxy far, far away..." I mean, they have ducks there.

I was talking about Naboo.

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `No planet will ever turn into another planet. That's just...lame.'

You don't know the power of the dark side.

6. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I'd like to see Kamino freeze over and turn into Hoth. [face_laugh]

7. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Or evaporate and turn into Bespin...

8. the_jedi_master00

the_jedi_master00 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    interesting point jedi knight pozzi... i remember luke in ESB saying something like:
    "It's like something out of a DREAM" (Is Dagobah an Anakin's dream???)

9. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    That would be way too weird for Star Wars. That is a 2001 kind of twist, not a Star Wars one.

--Joey

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah, planets blowing up: Already happened, I can see that.

But a planet....changing, doesn't fit with the whole story. Then you'd have to explain how it changed. We have enough of a story already. IMO, it wouldn't be much of a "space saga" if there was only one planet. ;)

Oh, just to add another clever point ( :p): I think the Amazon turned into the Nile at one point.

11. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Actully Lucas Athorized the Map of the Galaxy. It is in the front of The New Jedi Order series. The Vector Prime Hardcover had the best map imho but all of them so far (expect Dark Journey, I haven't gotten that one yet) have a map in the front.

Naboo is listed as a Planet (Look to the direct right of 'Sullust' on the lower part of the Rimma Trade Route) and Dagobah is listed as a Planet (three planets below 'Sullust' and right below 'Sluis Van')

Some of books my not have as detailed a map but anyways, this is the Galaxy Lucas had from the begining at least that is what is said.

Though they are very close together which makes it more belivable (possible spoiler) that Amadala fleed from Naboo to a close planet, Dagobah, and bore the twins there, just my theory

JWK

12. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I like the theory, but don't mind if it's true or not.

13. Darth_Infamous

Darth_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    You like theories? Here's a better one for you. When Obi-wan and Yoda reallize that Padme's carrying Anakins children, they are torn with what to do. They know they have to be hidden. The JEDI are dying off by the minute. Yoda has decided to go into seclusion on Dagohbah, and Ob1 decides to take him there with Luke. For awhile Luke is on Dagohbah as a chil, thus as a "dreamy familiarity" of the place when he returns. How bout dem apples?

14. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Maybe it's just me, but I sense some hostility in your post.

I know the Dagobah=Naboo theory is somewhat far fetched, but I like it. I won't argue in it's favor becasue quite frankly, like I said, I won't mind if it's false.

While filming Empire, Luke's familiarity was probably thought to be sensing Yoda through the Force. By now, it would be anything.

15. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Whoops, JWK already said what I posted (About the location of the planets)

[face_blush]

16. GenoSuke

GenoSuke Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    Perhaps between ep3 and ep4 an army of Lawyers representing the guy who created Dinotopia landed on Naboo and trashed the place. :D

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Here's a thought.

Naboo = Naboo
    Tatooine = Tatooine
    Coruscant = Coruscant
    Yavin 4 = Yavin 4
    Alderaan = Alderaan
    Hoth = Hoth
    Bespin = Bespin
    Dagobah = Dagobah
    Endor = Endor
    Kamino = Kamino
    Geonosis = Geonosis
    The Death Star = The Death Star
    The Death Star II = The Death Star II

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The "Naboo turning into Dagobah" theory IS pretty popular. But my interpretation of the line is that Luke once had a vision of Dagobah, just as he did of Bespin... seeing his destiny to go there in a subconscious vision... (Always in motion is the future.)

19. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Considering they are shown on maps as 2 different planets, I find the Dagobah=Naboo theory a little hard to accept.

20. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    I think the line means he'll be born on dagobah (leia too). It's like reverse forshadowing. If he's not born there he'll definitely be there at some point in Ep3.

Lucas filled the OT with references to the backstory "...something familiar about this place" is UNDOUBTEDLY one of them.

21. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Honestly, I find the Naboo=Dagobah theory unacceptable. Sorry. I'd prefer to apply Occam's Razor (simplest solution is usually the correct one) when deciding what is more believable an explanation for these issues. Naboo is a remote and relatively insignificant system. After some cataclysmic events we have yet to see, our characters likely abandon it and the great events of the Rebellion don't involve it, explaining why we never hear of it again in the original trilogy.

As for "still... there's something familiar about this place," I am willing to entertain a couple of theories.

My first and strongest impression of that statement's meaning hearkens back to the times before the Force was caused by a bunch of bacteria, back when all we knew of Star Wars was the original trilogy. Yeah, you know, when the Force was "an energy field created by all living things" that "surrounds us... and binds us." In that context, it was perfectly understandable that Luke -- a Force-aware upstart -- would find Dagobah vaguely familiar because of the strong presence of the Force there. Luke had been through a lot of turmoil up to that point, and so I could very well imagine him tossing and turning some nights, having Force-induced dreams about whatever was currently capturing his hopes and fears. This is the most obvious meaning of those words, and to me seems the most believable.

The other possibility I am currently willing to entertain is that Luke was born on Dagobah. After all, memories of early childhood are quite dreamy. It is possible that Amidala/Padme goes on the run for some reason in the face of great tribulation (like Anakin goes dark) and she hides away on Dagobah (perhaps at the invitation of Yoda?) from Anakin before he knows about the children. This would explain her "sad" demeanor when Leia recalls her as well.

22. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Like some of you will know I've been a big supporter of the Naboo=Dagobah theory since I first heard about it or thought of it, and I've argued my heart out about it more than a few times. Don't know if I can stand another debate about it, but it's hard not to dive into it...

One thing first---

Never mind the bleedin' maps! If, just IF, Lucas intends to destroy Naboo in the PT and let it turn into the planet we know as Dagobah - would he give it away many years in advance by removing one of them from a lousy map? You all know that would never happen, so the maps are useless in this debate.

Then a bit of what I think about the issue ---

There are already swamps on Naboo. And the planet does have a core of WATER. We've already seen a planet destroyed in the OT - Alderaan. What we have in store now in the PT is a conflict so devastating it's become a legend 30 years after it happened - cue Luke's "YOU fought in the CLONE WARS???" in ANH. I personally find it very likely that a couple of planets may get devastated in the war Lucas is about to unleash. What happens? Bombing? Chemical warfare? Some sort of way to alter a planets ecosystem in order to make it nearly uninhabital? Why not?

I have run into debaters who think this is LESS realistic than what happened to Alderaan...

Take a closer look at Naboo. Oceans, watery core, swamps. Take a much closer look at the scene where Amidala and the Jedi go to meet Boss Nass in the swamps - that's the key, imo. Compare that scene to the establishing shot of Dagobah after Luke has crashed in TESB. It's a swamp. There are huge trees and roots. There are flying creatures passing by - EXACTLY the same in both films, making EXACTLY the same moves and EXACTLY the same sounds. The sounds from the jungle/forrest are also EXACTLY the same. On Naboo great statues and structures of stone or concrete are seen sinking into the swamp - and on Dagobah structures of stone or concrete are seen underground. Check out the scene where the Gungan army are riding into battle. The swamp is covered in a thick layer of fog, just like the swamps of Dagobah. The oceans of Naboo are filled with dangerous creatures, much like the almost unseen menace that grabs R2 on Dagobah.

Then ask yourself WHY?

WHY does George make these two planets have so incredibly much more in common than ANY other planets in the Star Wars galaxy?

Some will say 'cause he's lazy.
    I say 'cause he's up to something.

And Malthus;

You know as well as anyone that the Force isn't "caused by a bunch of bacteria" any more than my response to you right here is caused by my computer. That thing is getting old, and no more accurate for every time it is brought up.

23. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Sorry you don't appreciate my attempt at dry humor. I think it's incredibly stupid (but funny) that midichlorians are now the key to the Force. This subject may be old to you, but that's classic! Let's see..., let's take a perfectly cool idea: this mysterious Force is an enigma, but all we (you and me) need know about it is that it is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, binds the galaxy together. And a few people can manipulate it for their own purposes. A neat idea that doesn't need overexplanation. BUT WAIT! It's been explained now in the new trilogy that the Force is now a "condition" bestowed upon them by floatie things in their blood called midichlorians. Nice. While they're at it, I think they should also waste our time by taking up half a movie showing the cell division of midichlorians in real time. And giving a long documentary on the internal biology of midichlorians. And how they get inside people.... okay, enough sarcasm. Bottom line is, I just thought it was dumb to even bother trying to explain further than they already had -- we all knew what the Force was and thought it was a cool concept before the over-explanation came.

So anyway, I guess that subject falls off the beaten path of the thread. Sorry folks.

Back to that thread subject, I still don't swallow it. You do make some excellent points, Adali-Kiri, for your case, such as the animal sounds. Though I think that Mon Calamari or any other water-world in the Star Wars could suffice for such an explanation, making the special case of Naboo's total de-terraformation just a piece of wild theory. It seems to me that similar animal sounds are more a product of a common imagination than any common destiny. Besides, if a planet were totally de-terraformed like that, I doubt there'd be much of its previous personality left (such as the animal life).

24. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    oops dupe post.

25. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    This thread's a waste of space.

The Naboo = Dagobah theory was ridiculous when it first surfaced back at the very begining of the JC, and has since been proved impossible by facts, as well as logic.

Next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.