main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Naboo really more *familiar* than we think??

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnWilliams00, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I like those historical references there Rebel Skum, interesting points. I agree Shane P with your statement, and we fall in the first category: Hey, Malthus one is a set of ideas and speculation for a set of movies. The other is what people believe to be reality. A big difference.

As for this thread, I just wanted discussion with an open mind. I don't want to close the book shut on the possibility, however unlikely/likely it is. Not a single one of us who favored this idea said it will happen, we're just speculating. I think even the possiblity of the name change warrants some thought and discussion. Furthermore, it may not even be a name change at all. Just another "spin-off" name, or a second name. Who knows? Maybe Dagobah is the newly accepted name in ESB, and some unspeakable horrible happens on Naboo in Episode III that mentioning the name is taboo, or the planet has been forgotten and abandoned. (Naboo rhymes with taboo, what a coincidence - I'm on to something here) ;)

I'm rather new to these boards, so I apologize if this thread has been done to death.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    The scene: Dagobah.
    Anakin emerges from the trees and is shocked to see the ruins of...
    THE STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!!!!!

Anakin:YOU MANIACS!!!! YOU BLEW IT UP!!!! DAMN YOU!!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!

Heh.

:)

3. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Yeah, about names...

The capital of my country, Oslo, had a different name when Norway were in union with Denmark. It was called Christiania for a very long time. It could happen here, so it could definitely happen in AGFFA.

Malthus; That mocking wasn't even clever. Find another thread if you're so disgusted.

4. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I kinda felt that Naboo was more like Alderaan, the little we heard about it. This is possibly even more far fetched and easily proven ridiculous, but I kinda pictured Alderaan to have that type of architecture and wide open plains too.

5. Darth-Ktulu

Darth-Ktulu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2002
    Anyone interested in what a world wide flood could do from a Creationist perspective is encouraged to check out this video. I warn you in advance, if you believe in the THEORY of Evolution and you find your brain shutting down when the word "Religon" pops up in a conversation you probably won't make it very far into the video.

All in all the video series makes a very good case for Creation.. and at the very least establishes that Evolution is no more "scientific" than the Bible (it appears scientific fact is in favor of the Bible), and no less Religious.. as BOTH require Faith and only one is tax supported.

Open minds, enter at your own risk:
    (video in question)
    http://www.drdino.com/SeminarOnline/cse6.rm

(videos main page)
    http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=real_video

The part of the video to watch for is the "Springs of the deep" being opened which attributed to the great flood (It wasn't just raining.. and say doesn't Naboo have lots of Water underneath???). I also find Naboo to be symbolic of the Garden Of Eden.. apparently Dinosaurs (a.k.a. - "Behemoth" and "Dragons") lived with men (kind of reminds you of the Gungans and their dino buddies).. did you know that Satan was a snake in the Garden.. say where did Palpatine come from again?

Interesting...

6. Grace17

Grace17 Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2000
    My theory is that when Luke says "this place is like something out of a dream" that it is because Obi-Wan tells him to go there while Luke is laying in the snow after he escaped from the snow monster and obi-wan appears to him.

I have a thought/question about episode 2, anyone think that Qui-Gon will show up like obi-wan does in "empire" and "jedi" in that apparition form? could be cool, to help obi-wan, guide him a little.

7. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Hmmm. It seems I posted unwisely. You're right, ShaneP, Adali-Kiri, and JohnWilliams00. Please accept my apologies. I just re-read my own post. Perhaps I was tired when I posted that... I've been posting from work. I don't know.

I just feel terrible because I really do hold myself to a high standard when posting messages, but I think I really goofed. I have gained a reputation for being reasonable and level-headed, and in one post I get nasty and childish. Sorry everyone. Won't happen again. While I do think this idea is silly, I stick by my earlier (and more calm) post in the thread, and say that I at least find it interesting.

8. Darth-Ktulu

Jan 7, 2002
    This message now has its own thread (see ESB Special Special Edition...)

More evidence that Naboo is abandoned to become Dagobah, some questions
    and a neat idea of ESB Special Special Edition:

Why does Padme leave for Alderan where Leia is raised and has early memories of her?

I'm telling you Geroge put all that water inside Naboo for a purpose... picture this if
    you would. Palpatine orders the destruction of Naboo by having someone punch holes all
    over Naboo, releasing the underwater oceans which spill up on land forcing an evacuation..
    Theed's waterfalls take one last spill (along with Theed in it!) into the plains of Naboo
    on top of that poor Naboo pilot crashed (from final battle scene in TPM)... leaving Naboo a
    "Slimey Mud Hole".

Then years later we get ANOTHER special edition of Empire Strikes Back:
    (Picture Luke running around the swamp with Yoda on his back)

EXTERIOR: DAGOBAH -- BOG -- CLEARING -- DAY

Camera shows a long wide shot of Yoda's BOG from miles up in the
    sky revealing traces of the former city of Theed and Waterfall.
    The camera then pans and zooms down towards Yoda's house...
    (Imagine the opening Tantan scene from Hoth when we see Luke
    and Han riding Tantans from a high up in the sky style shot)

In the clearing behind Yoda's house, Luke again stands
    upside-down, but his face shows less strain and more
    concentration than before. Yoda sits on the ground below the
    young warrior. On the other side of the clearing, two
    equipment cases slowly rise into the air. Nearby Artoo
    watches, humming to himself, when suddenly he, too, rises into
    the air. His little legs kick desperately and his head turns
    frantically, looking for help.

YODA: Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Yes. Good. Calm, yes. Through
    the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past.
    Old friends long gone.

A wide shot is shown of the swamp and the old Gungan Sacred place ruins
    mostly covered, but FAMILIAR to the prequel educated Star Wars fan.. maybe
    even a CG/Luke Yoda could be used at this distance. Maybe Jar Jars skeleton
    thrown in for good measure sitting against a tree like those dead vietnamese
    soliders shown in the opening scene of movie Platoon.

Camera Switches to a closer Camera shot)

Luke suddenly becomes distressed.

LUKE: Han! Leia!

The two packing boxes and Artoo fall to the ground with a
    crash, then Luke himself tumbles over.

YODA: (shaking his head) Hmm. Control, control. You must learn control.

LUKE: I saw...I saw a city in the clouds.

YODA: Mmm. Friends you have there.

LUKE: They were in pain.

YODA: It is the future you see.

LUKE: Future? Will they die?

Yoda hesitates looking distracted behind him in the direction of the
    once glorious ruins of Theed (not visable to Luke). Then Yoda closes
    his eyes and lowers his head.

YODA: Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

- NOTE: PLEASE REPLY TO THIS IN ITS OWN NEW THREAD

9. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Malthus;

Don't worry, it's cool. :)
    I feel all bad now, 'cause you feel all bad.

10. Mojo_Jojo

Mojo_Jojo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2002
    CGI Luke? Jeez...

11. Darth-Ktulu

Jan 7, 2002
    I'm talking about a really really wide shot (From the distance) where you could probably just use another actor (their backs would be turned from the screen). So a CG Luke/Yoda or just two actors with their backs turned would be cool.

So tell me guys.. what do you think happens to the Naboo and Gungans? I think Naboo was set up as some sort of paradise on purpose to contrast with some very dark moments we have yet to see... besides this theory of it being the same as Dagobah.. what else do you think could happen?

12. Jeddi_Knights

Jeddi_Knights Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    What better way for Anakin to prove his dark side-ness than to destroy his wife's home planet on orders from the Emperor..

And there's Obi Wan trying to stop him....

And they have a fight...and Anakin absorbs some of the explosion, disfiguring him and he's dead except the power of the dark side is keeping him alive...

Yoda hides on the Emperor's home planet
    and Obi Wan hides on Anakin's home planet, symmetry there.

And Luke would train to be a Jedi on the planet where his parents.....

I've always liked this theory and I like this thread. I also think the renaming is important and the first logical explanation I have heard. Naboo's residents are pretty much history, so why keep the name?

Palpatine uses Naboo for his insidious scheme in Phantom Menace, and then he turns around and destroys it...or tries too.

13. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Why waste the time "punching holes" in Naboo when Palpatine could use a planetary bombardment or "chemical warfare" to eliminate all life from the planet?

That would be more intimidating than saying "if you oppose me, I'll turn your planet into a swamp and rename it!"

I understand the point of speculation and "cool theories" but there is already so much implausiblity in SW already (yeah, Luke just happens to "inherit" the exact same droids that his parents had, especially when one of them was built by his and finished in the place that he grew up.)
    I wouldn't want to make it even worse with this Dagobah/Naboo stuff.
    It's not critical to the story and there are other more profound mythological/philosophical points that could be adressed.

Like wouldn't it be cool if Han Solo was the illegitimate son of Jango Fett? :p

14. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Like any of us at this point have any idea about what's "critical to the story"...? ?[face_plain]

Anyway, nobody has said that old Palpatine will bring like billions of needles and personally punch holes in Naboo. What we're saying is that (like Punisher suggests) there is some great war, planetary bombardment, or something like that - and this damages Naboo to the point where the planet literally implodes...WOOOOSH! I'm sure these Clone Wars will be quite capable of destroying planets like that.

And while we're on about implausible stuff; if Lucas is going nowhere with Naboo - WHY does he bother with the entire "watery core-scheme" and the numerous similarities that's been established between Naboo and Dagobah, right down to the very animals present, sounds of locations and creatures, and even bleedin' camera angles???

If anyone's curious, I've listed the matching stuff earlier in this thread!

15. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    I like that idea, but don't at the same time. It would be cool to see Naboo crumble, but stupid for it to be renamed.

16. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    I meant the Republic or (Imperial army) should have eliminated the life from the surface, the only ones that would be left would be the Gungans and they wouldn't last long if the surface was "nuked" or there was a "chemical" attack.
    If anything, such an attack would explain why the Gungans never appeared in the OT, they died out or couldn't leave due to a lack of space traveling capabilities, so even if they weren't killed by the environmental disruptions, they were trapped.

The only creatures seen on Dagobah were the flying and non-flying lizards, the swamp monster, and Yoda (obviously, he was a "transplant"). The flying creatures that were on Naboo weren't flying lizards and we don't have enough evidence to say that the swamp creature and the Naboo water creatures were the same.
    If anything, a Naboo disaster could be perceived to show evidence of evolution!

As for the sounds and the camera work, GL is trying to keep some level of artistic style in the films. There are similar camera angles between Yavin IV and Naboo (T.F. landing craft & Queen's ship arrival, the Falcon's arrival at Yavin), so does that mean Yavin IV is Naboo?

The Stormtropper has a "Wilhelm scream" in the DS "swing" scene, that sound effect is used twice in the hangar shootout in TPM, does this mean that they are related? That Naboo soldier was the brother of the other guy that was killed and they were the great uncles of that dead Stormtrooper?!!

I'd love to know the science of the rupture of the water core, I think the planet would be just a big ball of water, no swamps, just an ocean surface and atmosphere, like the water planet in the AOTC trailers.

I think this theory has a lot of holes in it. Unless the "Living Force" recreated Naboo into Dagobah because Yoda and Obi-Wan prayed really hard! :p

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>WHY does he bother with the entire "watery core-scheme"<<

Perhaps as an excuse to give us scenes of the Jedi and Jarjar piloting through underwater caves? I really don't think there's any far-reaching master plan for Naboo. As for the similar flying creatures, I'm pretty sure they are not the same creature, just similar looking. If they WERE the same creature, it's possible an early exploration to dagobah brought a sample back to naboo that bred in the swamps. That, or it could be a fairly common species thats managed to get to a few different planets somehow. Maybe they're related to mynocks and had attached to a starfighter or freighter and spread to the local environments, eventually adapting and evolving into the non-space faring species you see.

But really, I don't think Lucas is going to hinge the fate of a prominently featured world on such a minor detail and insignificant background creature.

18. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    What does it matter if Gungans aren't in OT? Ewoks were only in Jedi, no one care where they come from.

19. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    It's funny that people who think THIS theory is full of holes have no problems with a space station blowing up a planet.

20. Viceroy Rook

Viceroy Rook Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 1999
    Um, I actually really like this topic. I wouldn't put it past Lucas to do this. People got pissed about midi-chlorians, so maybe this is just another unexpected thing that might piss some people off.

Gay-LenKenobi, the only problem with the Naboo/Alderaan theory is that Bail Organa or Antilles (I forget) is already Alderaan's senator in TPM. Don't feel bad; I actually thought "ooh.." when I read your post... then I remembered the above fact and felt vaguely disappointed.

21. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Theory pretty good, but renaming the planet, it isn't a city, it's just stupid to rename a planet.

22. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Well...blowing up a planet is stupid too. Laser swords that cut through anything are also stupid. Just remember that this is a movie, and there is no really way to argue things logically.

23. Verteces

Verteces Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Oh shush, it's fun to think about.
    ;)

24. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Fun true.
    Sabres of light are cool, blowing up planets are cool, renaming a planet for the sake of it being connected to a movie that was made 20 years ago....dumb.

25. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, these are movies that have SOUND in SPACE!
    That's the biggest "unrealistic" nitpick of them all.

I can rationalize the midichlorian thing as Lucas's way to inject religion into the films, and as a way to show how important the Skywaker kids can be to Palpatine, but I think to waste screen time showing Naboo degenerate into Dagobah is stupid!

I could see the destruction of the ecosystem, but I would think that something THAT total would take a long time for the planet to rebuild, and there isn't enough time if there is a 20 year or so gap between 3 & 4. There isn't enough time for the planet to rebuild if it was destroyed between 2 & 3! (3 or less years?)
    One would think Yoda would be on Dagobah at the end of Ep.3, there isn't enough time!

Besides the whole "world transformation" has been done.... in Star Trek II! Remember the "Genesis" project?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.