Is Naboo really more *familiar* than we think??

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnWilliams00, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    2ndquest: Here's a question though- what could be gained by altering Naboo's ecosystem just enough to wipe out the cities without killing all the poor swamp creatures off that's worth the effort and money that would needed to accomplish that goal that a simple planetary bombardment (or invasion) could not have done? And also, lets not also forget that if you're trying to take out the Naboo AND the Gungans, who are aquatic, so flooding the planet wouldn't hurt them much. The Naboo did not have an army until they made peace with the Gungans. If the Trade Federation had wanted to level the planet and not control it, they could have done so very easily from orbit or during their occupation.

That's a very good question, actually. In fact, I don't have an answer to that one. Your argument is one of the better ones though -- a lot better than the simple "oh, no planet changes its name...." retort we see often around here.

One possibility is that the destruction of Naboo is an accident and maybe not even intentional at all. I'd like to think of it as an "Oops, we screwed up -- time to move on..." type of thing. Perhaps the immense mind-boggling firepowerof the TF bombed a certain vulnerable spot on Naboo....and there was a sweeping chain reaction that spread throughout the planet. Using Earth as an example, a massive meteor was enough to change the entire planet...clouds blocked the sun, plants and animals changed, etc...
    And Naboo may be smaller than Earth, so these changes could happen quickly, rather than taking eons and eons.

Furthermore, I'll add that I'm spoiled when it comes to AOTC, and there's this one detail that leaves the door open, but I won't mention it. It could be far-fetched or maybe plausible...until then, I'd rather wait and see if this theory pans out than just dismiss this "Naboo = Dagaboh theory" as a silly fanboy wish. ;)
  2. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    The2ndQuest;

Good point (or question) to which I have no other answer than this - the destruction of the planet doesn't really have to serve much of a purpose. The destruction of Alderaan was only conducted because Tarkin wanted to demonstrate the power of the Death Star and as a consequence he might get Leia to talk, not because there was a specific reason that Alderaan should be destroyed. Well, I suppose Organa was important to the Rebellion, but probably no more important than Amidala is at the time of the PT. The way of the dark side is the way of anger, and its fury is whimsical at times. I don't think there needs to be any deeper reason for Naboo's destruction than "casualty of war", really.

Great to get some opposing views with substance, btw! :)
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>- the destruction of the planet doesn't really have to serve much of a purpose....The way of the dark side is the way of anger, and its fury is whimsical at times. I don't think there needs to be any deeper reason for Naboo's destruction than "casualty of war"<<

You're right, but what point was, with the goal of destroying a planet in mind, why choose the probably-slow-happening ecological transformation rather than a quicker and more-likely-to-get-your-opponents attack? Afterall, ecological transformation (as opposed to ecological disaster) would be considered less a "casualty of war" than the result of a military attack, wouldn't it?
  4. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah, yes. I agree 100%. But I didn't really mean that they consciously would go about changing Naboo's environments. I rather thought of that as a side-effect of some sort of warfare. Chemical warfare, perhaps. I hate to bring in the EU again, but in the rather brilliant Timothy Zahn trilogy (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command - the only EU I think is really good) there is actually one planet which was echologically destroyed in the wake of the Clone Wars by Lord Vader. It sounds plausible to me. Well, as plausible as blowing up an entire planet in one blast, anyway. ;)
  5. miep Jedi Padawan

It is a rather interesting theory, and some of the replies are equally interesting to read.

Like many others, I probably will not care if Naboo turns out to be Dagobah or not. :B

If nothing else, I hope GL will expand on Dagobah in Ep 3 because it just seems as if there is something "missing" there. (ie: being familiar, etc)
  6. Lord Belfast Force Ghost

On the subject of the renaming of Naboo:

Has anyone considered that maybe 'Dagobah' is a Gungan word? A lot of Gungan words sound slightly similar to english, but a little off, like "yousa bombad" or "thisa nutsen." Maybe Dagobah is Gungan for "they go boom." Maybe George gave them a jacked up language for a reason? Yeah, I know its a stretch....but after this disaster, maybe Jar Jar is the only survivor and remarks, "Dagobah," and then in ESB we learn that it stuck and became the new name.....

How's that for a theory?
  7. opinion Jedi Master

star 4
    ...know something funny...c3po actually says the word naboo to one of the ewoks when he is speaking their dialect...before the little one goees and distracts the speederbike paratroopers at the deflector shield center on endor...
  8. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Neat idea, Lord Belfast. "Meeesa lika thiis." :D

Yeah, but seriously, I've never heard that before and it's very insightful, and could be the case.

Dagobah doesn't appear on the official charts, and past expeditions to colonize it proved futile (the people who led it vanished) [face_shocked]. It's environment was too unsuitable and just plain creepy. (This is based on some EU (I think) and official Datbank info, so take it for what it's worth.)

It's just my opinion that "Dagobah" is not an official planet and doesn't fall under any laws or outside influence -- it's basically a swampy rock left alone by the Empire. Dagobah isn't a planet that has to pay taxes or send delegates to the Senate. There are no cities or politicians like everywhere else. I'm beginning to think more and more that Dagobah is a relic of Naboo, a quiet "tomb" where a catastrophe occured.

Now I can't wait to see if this theory is true or not. :) (I'm actually learning more and more tidbits in this thread that is further swaying and convincng me that it could happen.) :)

[edit--]
    opinion -- that's interesting, I'm going to look for that too. Maybe C3PO is warning Wicket the Ewok to not be so clumsy or suffer the same fate as the Naboo Gungans, like Jar Jar Binks in TPM. :D
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>...there is actually one planet which was echologically destroyed in the wake of the Clone Wars by Lord Vader. <<

Don't forget though that that world was basicly poisoned, etc. It was essentially "killed off" as opposed to being changed into a different, fully "alive" world.
  10. Soothsayer Force Ghost

star 4
    "I suppose Organa was important to the Rebellion, but probably no more important than Amidala is at the time of the PT"

I would think that Amidala is dead before the prequel trilogy beings. Since Leia tells Luke that her mother died when she was very young, and that is why she does not have many memories of her.

As for the whole Naboo-Dagobah thing, i have no idea. I will be happy to just wait and see what happens

11. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Uhm...you probably mean that Amidala dies before the OT begins, and I agree. I said that Bail Organa is important to the Rebellion against Palpatine in the OT (at the beginning anyway... ;) ), but probably no more important than Amidala is to the cause in the PT.

The2ndQuest;
    Yeah, I know. But it's good George will come up with something NEW, isn't it? ;)
  12. Soothsayer Force Ghost

star 4
    WOW

How did i read that so wrong.

My bad
  13. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I think have to argee with that naboo is dagabah.
  14. Nismo1223 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I swear it they are the same planet...the definition of dagoba in that indies language points it it (it means dome shaped things guarding a buddhist god or relic....refering to the buildings in TPM which are dome shaped...and those statues with the gungans which are buddhists)
  15. Darthalex543 Jedi Padawan

Would Luke have ever been to naboo?

16. Jeddi_Knights Jedi Knight

star 1
    if naboo is destroyed in the clone wars

a parallel is Leia's home planet of alderann is destroyed and her mothers home planet is destroyed as well.
  17. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    Someone had pointed out that one of them cross-section books put Naboo and Dagobah in different parts of the galaxy...but I never go by EU.

I do think Naboo is Dagobah.

What would be more of a trip would be if Coruscant got wiped out and became Dagobah, thought with all of the buildings that would be impossible.
  18. Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master

star 4
    maybe luke has been there before when he was a baby.
  19. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>>>>What would be more of a trip would be if Coruscant got wiped out and became Dagobah, thought with all of the buildings that would be impossible.>>>>>>

But Coruscant was shown at the end of Return of the Jedi remember? :)

I hope this Naboo theory turns out true because they're are a lot of close-minded naysayers who are adamantly against this harmless theory. I would love to rub it in their face when Naboo turns to Dagabah. [face_laugh] It would show that anything is possible in the Star Wars universe.
  20. Nismo1223 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah john..this is a theory i wish would be true...a lot of things hint it..and it would explain why they dont mention "naboo" in the OT...but they mention the supposedly wrecked naboo "Dagoba"

Would be awesome knowing that we were right about this thing all along...that would kick ass!
  21. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    We could pat each other's backs for weeks after Episode III's release, hehe. ;)

Someone at the Celebration last weekend said that we will see a Star Wars-style armageddon happen in Episode III. That would be appropriate for the final and devastating step from the Old Republic to the Empire. In such a disaster I think it's logical to expect a planet or two to be destroyed. Everything is on a larger scale in SW so it wouldn't do to ruin a continent or something. It's got to be big. And I think this lends a bit more weight the the Naboo=Dagobah issue. :)
  22. Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master

star 4
    opinion you caught that too? naboo tac tac or something like. it could just be coincidence but its pretty cool.
  23. thenink Jedi Knight

star 2
    I firmly believe that the 'Armageddon' that they spoke of at C2 points directly to the destruction of Naboo.

This gonna be great! :D
  24. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's toast to that! :)

(Hands thenink a beer fresh from the fridge and gets another for himself)
  25. opinion Jedi Master

star 4
    ...that wasnt me darth schwartz...that was nismo...attack of the nismo clones...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.