main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Naboo really more *familiar* than we think??

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnWilliams00, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSloth

MrSloth Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    Okay first let me start by saying I'm new to these boards so please stop me if I start babeling like an idiot.

I know this was brought up earlier but I think the key that a lot of nay sayers are missing is that it doesn't have to be a diliberit ecological change by using some sort of bio weapon. If this theory turns out to be true, which I'm not saying it is, the key is the watery core of Naboo. If a large battle like those that supposedly happen during the clone wars would take place on Naboo who is to say the planets crust wouldn't be breached in someway by bombardment or some sort of huge explosion. All the sudden you have all this water flooding out and you have Noah's great flood part deux. If that was to take place it doesn't mean the whole planet becomes water. I would think that parts of mountain ranges or highlands would still be above water. Or who is to say, mabye the water subsides some over time. Now I don't claim to be some physics genius or anything but I would think that a cataclysm such as this could potentialy change the orbit of the planet also which would further alter the ecosystem. If you figure not everything gets flooded then not everything dies to. Some life will continue on those parts of the planet that are still above water.

I think it would be an interesting twist as far as the story goes and wouldn't be some crazy drug induced whim to make them the same planet. With Dagobah there are some interesting coincidences. You have the flying animal. You have what seems like some ruins or what not in some scenes. When Luke goes in the tree I remember there's that one scene that looks like there's a giant stone block with overgrowth on it. The trees in both swamps seem somewhat similar. There's other minor points that have all been pointed out prior to this post that I won't go into.

Now for some of the counter arguments. As far as the Gungans go I don't know about you but if you've ever been in a flood or seen one you know they aren't very good for your health. Yes the Gungans can survive in water but if the water was swirling around very fast like in a flood I would think you would be in for a world of pain. That's not even counting all the dirt that would be kicked up from the flooding. Now this is just my speculation but the Gungan city seems like it's in very clean water. Would they be able to breath in water that is swirling with dirt and silt. Neither you nor I know one way or another. So that's a dead end. It does have the bonus of helping make all the water look rather dirty, muddy, and generally crappy like a swamp. My personal feeling would be that the majority of Gungans would die off in a cataclysmic flood and any that survived would want to get away due to the horrible conditions the planet would be left in.

As for the name change all I can argue is that take a look at a map from ten years ago and look at one today. Your bound to see a few changes. Heck some countries have probally changed their name twice in that span.

For EU stuff all I can say is that I perfer to think of that is part of the Star Wars and I enjoy reading a lot of it but I realize that it's George's sandbox and he can change it and shape it whenever and however he feels like so I never look at EU stuff as set in stone. If he decides tomorrow that he wants to add Admiral Thrawn in EP3 as a cross dressing hermaphadite with a leather fetish and enjoys long walks under the stars with the emperor who am I to say he is wrong. I'll complain and disown Lucas but it's his universe.

Now for the argument on changing and rebuilding the ecosystem. Note how I've said that not everything would die. There would still be some life left alive on the planet. Not much but some. There for there wouldn't have to be some century long rebuilding of the planet. If it was high enough up it survived.

For the argument of it eating up valuable screen time and being unnecessary for the story envision it like this. EP3. Huge climactic battle on Naboo. Everyone's fighting things are blow

2. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Some excellent thoughts there, methinks! :)

3. MrSloth

MrSloth Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    I read thru the thread last night and I found it rather interesting. Ended up thinking about it all day while I was at work. It sure beat actually working. :D

4. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    *Cracks open Beer*

*Glug* Glug* Thanks Adali-Kiri!!!

Very good points MrSloth. I like the comparison of "Noah's Ark" that you used. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if Lucas does use that as his basis for the destruction of Naboo much like he used the parrallel of the birth of Christ with the birth of Anakin.

I think we have another supporter here! Adali; we need more beer! :D

5. MrSloth

MrSloth Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    I'll admit that when I started reading the thread I thought this was the most hair brained thought I ever heard of. By the time I got to the end I was kind of sitting on the fence on wether it was possible or not. After I started thinking it thru to myself during the day, the more the whole thing just kind of grew on me. Now I'm at the point that it would not surprise me at all to find out this is true.

Like I couldn't wait to see AOTC in the first place now I want to see it even more just to see if there are anymore clues supporting this "crazy" theory.

What can I say, you guys made a believer out of me.

6. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    You're welcome! :D

(Hands MrSloth an ice cold beer and gets another couple for thenink and himself)

Even if it turned out not to happen, I think we have done some serious work here setting up a credible theory, at least.
    I also really like your Noah's Ark comparison. That's not just a Christian phenomenon, but a way in which civilizations are wiped out in numerous mythical and religious tales. The great flood is a classic! Just think about Atlantis. It would be a very cool addition to the Star Wars mythology, in my opinion. It's grand and mysterious in a way an armageddon in SW would have to be. Imo, it will at least be very surprising if all the planets we visit in the PT will survive to see the times of the OT...

7. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    I'd like to add my two cents on this theory.
    Before I do, let me just say that I think this is the most intelligent idea to come about since the Vader=Anakin Skywalker revelation in ESB.

First off, I think the theory of the planet flooding is great and makes total sense (due to it's core, the buddhist-like statues, dome relics, etc.) Something will have to
    cause this flood, however.

What we know about Dagobah:

1. Yoda ends up living there.
    2. The Dark Side has a strong presense there.
    3. From EU...Emperor's secret Weapon is part
    of the Cave (if I remember correctly)

What we know about Naboo:

1. Planet's core is water.
    2. It's Padme's home.
    3. Palpatine is from Naboo.
    4. Naboo is NEVER mentioned in the OT!!!

What we know about the plot of PT to OT:

1. Padme will die in-between EP3 and EP4.

So my two cents is this. A flood could be caused by a massive bombing of the planet.
    A flood could also be a result of a ecological catastrophe. What if the EU DOES come into play a bit and The Emperor/Vader did destroy one planet...I think Poisoned was
    the method. Poisoned could mean biological warefare. Could it be possible that it is this poisoning of the planet that has been part of his ultimate plan all along? Perhaps
    Palpatine secured an area of Naboo long ago to develop some kind of biological threat to the planet and waited till the right moment to unleash it. Perhaps that area is The Cave and during EP3, Palpatine uses his weapon. At first it is subtle. Plague begins to sweep across the planet on a grand scale.
    Perhaps the Jedi go to Naboo to investigate or are lured there under false pretenses. At Palpatine's command, the weapon not only breathes death over the land, but cataclismick happenings (ie: floods AND volcanic eruptions). The clones are programed to fight the Jedi and keep them on the planet long enough to wipe them out. Some of the residents of Naboo escape the planet. Padme is among those that escape the planet before it implodes on itself...but unfortunately Padme's fate is already sealed.
    She's caught a sickness from the Naboo plague and does not have many more years to live.

There's a bit more detail that needs to be added, but that's what I have right now.

What do you think?

8. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    I like your idea about having the Jedi 'lured' there. Maybe that's where they all (or a good majority of them) meet their end.

All in all you have some very good ideas. And I'm glad you think so highly of the Naboo=Dagobah theory! Welcome to the Club, brother!! :D

9. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    You can rest assured that George Lucas has no plans to make Naboo into Dagobah.

There is a game being worked on by Sony Online and LucasArts called "Star Wars Galaxies," which, when released, will be the most advanced Multiplayer Online RPG ever released. The game took "Best in Show" at E3 last year, and everything about it looks phenomenol. Check it out on any of your better computer gaming websites if you get a chance, it's worth it.

Anyway, the game features several planets from the OT Star Wars Universe (set months after the destruction of Death Star I) upon it's initial release. Among them: Tatooine, Corellia, Yavin IV, Endor, Dathomir and yes, Naboo.

The developers made it a point of mentioning that they recieved specific permission from Lucas Licensing (which talked to George Lucas personally on this subject) and confirmed that Naboo is a viable and active part of the Star Wars Universe during the time of the OT.

That's Big George's personal seal of approval on that one, kiddies.

10. LordSinshine

May 29, 2002
    Silly Rabbit...video games are for kids! I don't know how much I would trust this info being the "be all and end all" of the Naboo=Dagobah theory. Just like the EU, I would not take video games as law...despite Lucas' permission.

I'm not saying that my theory of what could take place IS correct, but I think that it would explain a lot.

11. LordSinshine

May 29, 2002
    Thanks, thenink!

12. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    No prob Lord Sinshine!

I wouldn't put too much faith into the content of video games. Video game content is NOT considered cannon, whether it has the Plaid God's stamp of approval or not.

Until the official release of EP3, I'm holding fast to the Naboo=Dagobah theory.

Eat Krispy Kreme's! :D

13. 1AaronBrown

1AaronBrown Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2002
    Lets face it the reason it isn't in the OT is because GL didn't need it, its only in the PT cause he had to come up with a new planet.

14. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    Why did he have to come up with a new planet? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have Padme come from Alderaan?

15. LordSinshine

May 29, 2002
    Ahhhh...good point!

16. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Ah, we still haven't seen Alderaan. I WANT TO SEE THAT PLANET.

Sorry. I imagine it will look similar to Naboo. We should see it in Episode 3.

I love the Naboo = Dagobah theory.

17. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    thenink ---

That is an excellent point! Why have we not seen Alderaan yet? And because of its feature in the original Star Wars as a powerful yet peaceful planet, and Leia's adopted home, I am indeed wondering why Lucas didn't just use Alderaan instead of coming up with Naboo. Unless something important happens to Naboo, it seems like a completely unnecessary invention in the SW galaxy - it's almost completely Alderaan!

The video game thing is a non-issue. I've said it a million times. IF, and I repeat IF, Lucas was indeed planning on doing what we are speculating here - do you really think he would give the twist away by NOT having Naboo and Dagobah on the same maps etc, YEARS in advance??? I think not.

18. jedi4500

jedi4500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Is this the Planet of the Apes or Star Wars?, with planets changing into other planets??

Actually, i do like the ideas i was just kidding with my comment...

19. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    What can I say I like the Idea that Naboo
    is destroyed (and not for any anti Gungan reason)
    This topic reminds me about Hans line in ANH
    Obi Wan talks about the Destruction of Alderan.
    Han says something like.
    It would take more firepower than a thousand
    Star ships with more power than I've....
    Is this an Historical event he's talking about? Maybe? Punching holes in Naboo? mmm

Match this to the fact that only the humans refer to the planet as Naboo, Boss Nass referred to Naboo as the Human Culture there.

Also one other fact is thanks to Senator Jar Jar, Naboo according to AOTC would now be seen as the reason the Republic has an Army making it a Prime target for retalliation

I like the Idea but think it's unlikely
    for Naboo to equal Dagobah if only for lack of time to explain it all as it was people walked out of AOTC going how'd they do this and who is so and so .etc etc.

20. linkboy

linkboy Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Here is my take on this theory.

It starts with the relations between the Gungans and the Naboo. The Gungans don't like the Naboo, they think their heads are so big.

Maybe Naboo had a different name, prior to the Nabbo moving there. The Gungans could have called it Dagoboah, but when the Naboo came, they renamed the planet Naboo. That could easily explain the name change. The Naboo also are the race that is in contact with the Senate, not the Gungans.

As for the planet turning into a swamp, we all know that there is a lot of water under the land. I agree with the flood idea, only the water doesn't receed. After 20 years the plant life would be different, as species adapt to the change.

21. mrblack66

mrblack66 Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I really hope with all my heart (fingers crossed) that Naboo turns out to be none other than EARTH! Wouldnt that be the BEST!

22. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    Uhhhhhhh...........no.

Like someone said previously, this is not "Planet of the Apes."

:D

23. mr_mustard

mr_mustard Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I love the naboo=dagobah theory, to the point where if it doesn't happen in Eps 3 I'd be very disappointed!

If you're thinking of it from a logical or scientific point of view, then I guess they are some holes in it. But from a storywise POV, it works great. And besides, SW is a space fantasy - it doesn't need to obey the laws of physics like Star Trek does.

What better way of showing the empire's strength and Anakin's downfall then by them destroying the most beautiful planet in the galaxy? I like the idea of it being 'the last stand' for the jedi, and having Anakin the one who destroys it makes great drama.
    Having Anakin destroy the place which he saved in TPM and where he married Padme would show the audience just how messed up he's become.

As to the name change or that it's a forgotten planet, who's to say Vader or Palpatine don't change the name or erase it from the archives (like Kamino)?

24. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    Yeah, the 'name change' issue is a moot one, as far as I'm concerened. That can be easily handled so many ways.

25. MasterJedi-Mackey

MasterJedi-Mackey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    Nevertheless, all the more interesting. Clearly, something is up with the two worlds (Kamino and Naboo). I am less inclined to consider Naboo because Anakin/Vader has been there already. The Kamino world does seem a more viable fit, though the Naboo alternative may be worked if the storyline can't fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.