main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Naboo really more *familiar* than we think??

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JohnWilliams00, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    How could Kamino possibly become Dagobah...?

We've argued very well that Naboo could, but... ?[face_plain]

2. mr_mustard

mr_mustard Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Kamino is just the planet where the clones were created. From a storywise point of view, it would serve no purpose to change it to Dagobah. Changing Naboo however works on several story levels.

Apart from the clones, Kamino's only other relevance is that it demonstrates how a planet can be hidden from the rest of the galaxy.
    In which case, either the empire can remove Naboo from the archives (after they have virtually destroyed it), or Yoda/Kenobi could remove it to keep the place a secret.

Then again, why the empire would change or remove Naboo from the archives when they could show it off as world they've destroyed I don't know...

3. tomm4004

tomm4004 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    >Why did he have to come up with a new planet? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have Padme come from Alderaan?

The Illustrated Star Wars Universe (1995) has a chapter showing artist's drawings of Alderaan. In some ways, many ways, it looks like Naboo.

Three theories (probably all wrong)
    1. Alderaan was supposed to be shown in ANH.
    2. Alderaan will appear in Ep. 3.
    3. GL changed Alderaan to Naboo.

If #3 is correct, why the change? Is it because he wants to "destroy" Alderaan again?

I'm not leaning either way, but if it were true it would lend more weight to the planet core sequence in TPM which I never really quite understood, other than giving the Jedi a time lapse while Naboo was being invaded.

And I do think that why Yoda ends up on Dagobah, and Leia on Alderaan is important. Thus, something happening to Naboo could be relevant.

I agree with someone's thought that had Alderaan been the home planet of Palpatine it would really make its destruction more powerful. However, perhaps GL "has something special planned for" us.

4. barxtherockingm

barxtherockingm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    I'm glad you think creativly but.....

Really. Why would any place be swampified. for any reason.... ever. Endor was introduced in RoTJ, but it wasn't Yavin's moon turned into.

Naboo is naboo. Even if it was changed why would yoda go to that one spot.

Oh, wait, is this more of that Force Cave crap? Look, i'm sorry, that's completly over discussed.

5. Darth-Arkie

Darth-Arkie Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    I'm sorry guys but all through this thread two very dirty words have been going through my head. STAR TREK. It's been done already, I hope that Lucas can be a little more creative than that.

Come to think of it, what is wrong with a little mystery about Dagobah? Why do we have to be told every little thing about a planet? What's really cool is leaving just enough mystery about something in order to make it interesting. I don't want Lucus to tell me why the tree is dark. I don't want Lucus to tell me what those buildings on Yavin 4 are. That's why the OT, at least for me, is turing out be better that the PT. The mystery. Sometimes, less is more.

Of course that's just one fan's opinion. :)

6. hypersonic5

hypersonic5 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2002
    Maybe during the clone war Palpy created a preliminary version of the death star and wanted to test it out on Naboo to piss off everyone. Something goes wrong and it crashes into the planet, releasing all the water from it's core.

^---Stupidest theory ever, but I just had to say it.

7. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Hmmmm, regarding Star Trek ... [cough]clones...[cough, cough]

8. SDPadres13

SDPadres13 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    I think that the most likely situation is that Luke was born in the swamps of Naboo, which look similar to those on Dagobah. Thus, he thinks Dagobah is familiar. I don't think that George will change a planet after confirming its existence and separation from Dagobah in maps, SWG, etc.

9. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    For the billionth time - the map argument.
    And for the billionth time - my reply;

If, only IF, Lucas was planning to turn Naboo into Dagobah, would he give that away years in advance by NOT having one of the planets on the map? Does anyone really believe so? I most certainly don't, and that's why I don't consider the maps to be a solid argument, just an uncertain indication.

10. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I doubt a planet is going to change. If Naboo changed, wouldn't it still be called Naboo? Not Dagobah?

11. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    The capital of my country wasn't called Oslo 200 years ago, but Christiania.
    This has been discussed in depth a few pages ago.

12. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Nice, double post. Thanks, computer.

13. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    Maybe Naboo undergoes some type of Global Warming and the whole joint becomes covered in dense swampland.....or it's possible that Naboo and Dagobah are two completely different planets...Dagobah is a dump by the way. Add it to my list of dump planets (Tatooine,Kamino,Geonosis & Coruscant) See thread:Let's hope we get to see some decent planets and not dumps like we've been seeing.Naboo kaboom?

14. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    has anyone thought that the "familiar" feeling Luke has could just be him feeling someone strong in the force, and not knowing what this is?

15. SkywalkerSolo

SkywalkerSolo Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2002
    I would hate it if Naboo turned into Dagobah! I think that maybe Luke's feeling comes from perhaps being born there? That's right! I think the Yoda might take Padme to Dagobah to give birth, knowing that it's isolated and life forms are not easily sense outside of the atmosphere! It makes sense too me. I also think that TenorAprentice could be right! Good thought! -Sky

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    The familiarity is probably some dream Luke had.

17. PeterMayhewstrolley

PeterMayhewstrolley Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    OK...heres my tuppence worth. Ill start by saying I do not like the idea, i think its pretty cruddy, so my cards are already out on the table.
    I think both sides have supported their point of view pretty well..some pple better than others.
    Im not gonna dissect every argument, but they could be used to apply for the home planet of almost every species seen in the OT and not in the PT, or any planet mentioned in the OT and not in the PT...ie, why is Naboo not really Dantooine?
    If we are gonna use the maps (and they are EU, so they dont really count)any planet we havent seen that is used in the OT, even by name, could really be Naboo. Why not Wayland ( i know, EU)? the emporers on personal storage facility...wouldnt he use his homeworld? ooooh i know they are both on the maps, but would GL etc etc etc.i think the most likely explanation of Dagobah is that is the homeworld of a mysterious species...no one even knows their name, and where they come from...a planet not on the official charts, perhaps.we've only ever seen two members of this species. One of them lived in a swamp, but they might have cities on the other side of the planet. Or the two weve seen were the last two. Yaddle and Yoda.(and yoda lived on Dagobah for 20 yrs, so we can safely assume he knew what was safe to eat.)

18. Darth_Troutkiller

Darth_Troutkiller Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2002
    What is this, a "Star Trek" forum? Sounds like you fellas are talking about the Genesis Device. Get back to the Star Wars side of things, please. Star Trek stinks compared to Star Wars.

19. PeterMayhewstrolley

PeterMayhewstrolley Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    oooooo and another thing...isnt the name of the system the Dagobah System...suggesting that the Star is also called Dagobah...the primary planet carrying the same name....but if Dagobah had formerly been naboo, would the system (and im assuming, the star)still not be known as the naboo system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.