main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Obi-Wan Kenobi the Indiana Jones of the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    More of a observation then anything else, but I noticed Kenobi seems to get beat up a lot even when he wins.

In TPM he is both tossed off a catwalk and thrown down a pit before finally slicing Maul in half.

In AOTC he gets blown up and dragged around by Jango Fett. Even when he gets the upper hand he still finds himself somehow off a building. He also gets sliced and diced by Dooku towards the end of the film.

In ROTS he literally gets tossed around by Dooku . He gets the upper hand at first with his fight with Grievous but later is kicked around and almost thrown off a cliff before resorting to a blaster to win (hokey religions and ancient are no match with a blaster by your side, eh Kenobi?). While he wins his duel with Anakin, he still gets bruised here as well.

Not saying this is a bad thing mind you. Similar to Jones, Kenobi getting his butt kicked makes you root for him more, making him somewhat of a underdog. Just something I noticed and thought it was a good comparison.

2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Interesting.

Not to mention how many times he gets a beat in Clone Wars

3. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Yeah, I think your point. I don't know if he is like Indy, though I see what you say in certain way. He is not perfect and that makes him more close to us. He gets his ass kicked sometimes XD. But, often, he can give a little lightsaber pomade too XD. Yes, he is like some heroes of the 80's (Indy, like you said), who, to win, had to receive strikes too.

Obi-Wan has a little facet of "rascal" sometimes ("Master, where do you go?" / "For a drink!" XD). He can be very applied and correct (when listen Yoda or execute his dues. But he can be very reckless or hurled ("Hello there!", to Grievous XD). Yeah, I think he is one of the most interesting characters of the prequels. He has many edges and is a likable hero because he is kind of unpredictable and gets beaten up like ourselves.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It isn't something exclusive to Indy. It's a rather common trope in fiction. The hero looks like they're about to lose only to have a last minute burst that beats the bad guy

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I agree. I suppose it just reminded me of Jones, and when I think of beaten down heroes I usually think of Jones.