main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Obi-Wan's brother ever named in the Jedi Apprentice series?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lieutenant_Skywalker, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lieutenant_Skywalker

Lieutenant_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2003
    Just like the title says folks- Is Obi-Wan's brother ever named in the Jedi Apprentice series? I'm really curious and I haven't been able to locate a thread that will tell me. I'm really not into the series so I don't want the books, just this one little question has me curious. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help. :)

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Yes, in one book where Obi-Wan thinks of him. He's referred to under the name 'Owen'. Obviously, this is not Owen Lars. (but quite possibly it was originally intended as so, and Jude Watson just hedged her bets).

Obi-Wan must have visited his family after joining the Jedi, as I can't believe he'd be able to remember siblings (particularly their names) from when he was a baby.

3. Lieutenant_Skywalker

Sep 14, 2003
    Ah, well that certainly clears things up, thanks, QuentinGeorge.

As a bonus quiestion, does anyone have any clue what kind of relationship they had? I know it's probably very vague, but hey I'm a curious guy lol!

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan must have visited his family after joining the Jedi, as I can't believe he'd be able to remember siblings (particularly their names) from when he was a baby.
    Not necessarily. I've been of the opinion since TPM an particularly after AotC that Padmé must die in EIII (purely speculation) in order to bring resolution to her story, and yet Leia remembers lots about her at the time of RotJ. Maybe Jedi are simply able to tap parts of their childhood memories most other beings cannot.

-Paul

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    No Episode III spoilers at all, even masked.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He does have a younger brother named Owen, but not Owen Lars.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah, I love lame continuity fixes. :)

8. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Leto, I think you should know that that ep3 spoiler was said to be bogus by Pablo in the Hyperspace forums.

9. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Originally in the series, it was said OB1 had visited his family on his homeworld and hung out with his brother, yet later in the SAME series everyone is surprised a student even knows WHO his family are, and it is said Jedi children usually are forbidden contact with their family, and typically don't know who their family even ARE.

Is OB1 a member of some wierd culture for whom exeptions to Jedi rules are made, like Halcyon and Mundi are?

And i think it is a safe bet the author intended the desert world to be Tatooine and the brother to be Owen Lars, but avoided using the names Tatooine and Lars for safety's sake--there is safety in vagueness, you can never be proven wrong.

Official fixes claim that wasn't Owen Lars, but have yet to explain why OB1 was allowed to visit his family; flies in the face f the Jedi no-contact policy seen in the Darth Maul books, the Baby Ludi stories, and Survivor's QUest, etc. I think the harshness and strictness of the Jedi no-contact rules has steadily increased in the minds of EU authors. In the early Prequel EU, Ad Gallia and Eeth Koth had ties to THEIR parents that don't jive with later EU principles. IE, Adi appreciated QGJ saving her parents lives (so she obviously knew WHO they were and had an emotional attachment to them--an Ep II no-no). And another Councillor RECOMMENDED Eeth Koth visit his family! Can you imagine someone in Jedi Quest recommending Anakin visit Shmi? LOL!

And we're supposed to imagine they let temple student OB1 go hang out on pseudo-Tatooine and have fun hangin' with his bro, Owen, and munchin' fruit?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The "Owen Lars is Obi-Wan's brother" did not originate in the Jedi Apprentice series; Obi-Wan told Luke that Owen Lars is his brother in the RotJ novelization.

"So I took you to live with my brother Owen on Tatooine..."

I wonder how the **** this was fixed.

11. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Official fixes claim that wasn't Owen Lars, but have yet to explain why OB1 was allowed to visit his family; flies in the face f the Jedi no-contact policy seen in the Darth Maul books, the Baby Ludi stories, and Survivor's QUest, etc. I think the harshness and strictness of the Jedi no-contact rules has steadily increased in the minds of EU authors. In the early Prequel EU, Ad Gallia and Eeth Koth had ties to THEIR parents that don't jive with later EU principles. IE, Adi appreciated QGJ saving her parents lives (so she obviously knew WHO they were and had an emotional attachment to them--an Ep II no-no). And another Councillor RECOMMENDED Eeth Koth visit his family! Can you imagine someone in Jedi Quest recommending Anakin visit Shmi? LOL!

Perhaps that for all the rules that the Jedi had, they bent them an awful lot. I always thought it odd that Adi Gallia uses her family connections, but perhaps sometimes while Jedi are raised separately from their biological families, eventually some will discover or be discovered by them. I'd expect that the Gallias, as being famous would probably connect with Adi sometime after her training, and that it might have been well known in Corellian diplomatic circles that the Gallias had a daughter who went to the Temple to train... so eventually she might learn it in the course of her work...

i doubt the jedi would throw away powerful family connections just to keep out family attachments. raising the child without the family might be enough to make them overly attached to the family... and instead keep them attached to the jedi order. i don't think Adi Gallia would ever choose her family members over the Jedi way... but a young Anakin might!

12. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    There are more sources which tell of Jedi visiting their home planets and/or families than those which don't.

(Comics are a good example: See Eeth Koth, Sharad Hett, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Adi Gallia etc)

Its a shame the EU has been "retconned" to make the Jedi Order seem excessively wowserish.

(Though even in Shatterpoint, Mace Windu returns to his home planet at least once).

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I wonder how the **** this was fixed.<<

Well, theoretically, Ben and Owen Lars consider each other brothers (or, at least, Ben does), just not brothers by blood or marriage...until we have any further retcons elaborating on this topic.

14. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    How does Obi-Wan even know of Owen's existance and how can he trust Owen to take care of Luke? Previous history might help support...

15. Lieutenant_Skywalker

Sep 14, 2003
    Ah, I see now, well sort of. So basicly we have another battle of Skye situation on our hands. Although based on Obi-Wan's EU entry at the OS, I had it figured that the Owens were different people as of now. Plus I thought there was an "ask the Jedi council" question about this pre EP2. I don't remember who answered but I thought they said Owen Lar's and Obi-Wan were not related.

As for Ben considering Owen his brother, all the information I've gathered seems to indicate that another brother does exist not just a point of view situation, but who really knows.<---*throws up hands in frustration*

16. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Easy answer... the "Owen Lars" of ANH is Ben's brother Owen, not Owen Lars...

:p

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.