main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Padme and Anakin's relationship believable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by inkswamp, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Sorry Obi, I couldnt resist!

2. Light_sider

Light_sider Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2004
    IMO, no. I can buy it up and until the marriage. I can see them becoming lovers, but to risk everything for such a fledgling relationship is totally unbelievable.

It's almost too far fetched that they would have even gotten to the point of sex at this point. Two to three days is pushing it with so much at stake. However, they have been through alot and are hot so why not. But not the marriage, needed more of a reason than sex to get married.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's not two or three days. It's more like ten days.
    I don't know if that makes any difference to you, but it does to me.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

4. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I think for Padme, it simply starts with attraction. Given their time frame before kissing and speaking of love there isnt much else to spark anything. She basically marries Anakin without even knowing who he is. She knows nothing about him. Its spilled blue milk, but an older TPM Annie would have sent a lot of things into alignment. Atleast then, the ten year departure could have been preceeded with some passion between the two. A "love started" aspect if you will.

He told her he just slaughtered a village of children and their parents. She offers him a sandwich and marries him the next day.:p

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Heh, that's a great way to put it.

6. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Luckily Anakin didn't eat the food and milk, knowing Padme didn't know what he did at the point she offered him. ;)

7. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I think maybe we all need to get the timeframe down. I was under the impression that it was about 4 or 5 days simply because it was cut away to OB1s mission to chase Jango. If it was longer than that then it might lend some credence to their love story, but otherwise, my position holds.

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    The events in the movie must take more than a week. TPM takes about a week, but AOTC takes longer.
    Just pay attention to all the days and nights and consider that sometimes, a night passes by that we don't see(on the journey to Naboo, for example).
    Or are you guys talking about when they got to Naboo?

Star Wars is one
    /LM

9. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Luke can become a Jedi under Yoda in days, briefings on the most important battle of their times can happen in 2/3 minutes

But Anakin/Padme can't fall in love in 4/5 days. While that is, in fact, more likely to actually happen than any of those other things.

He told her he just slaughtered a village of children and their parents. She offers him a sandwich and marries him the next day.

I guess condemning him and getting the hell away from him as fast as possible would've been the right decision?

And the marriage is far from a day later. The clones all had to assemble at Coruscant, he had to take care of his arm, Obi had to take care of his wounds, after that he had to take her back to Naboo etc etc

Actually, it looks like the wedding is more than a few weeks later.

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Good point! I think Anakin got to keep his assignment to protect Padmé, since Gunray was still out there. That would give them lots of time together between Geonosis and the wedding.

Luke spent about 3 months on Dagobah, BTW.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

11. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Luke spent about 3 months on Dagobah, BTW.

So the Falcon vs. The Empire chase took 3 months?

Woah, that's even weirder [face_plain]

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think that took a couple of days, but then it took them a looong time to get to Bespin. They had no hyperdrive, afterall.
    Han quote: "Bespin's pretty far, but I think we can make it."
    So, there's quite a time leap there.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

13. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Han Solo being trapped in such a small place with Leia Organa for three months is, for me, a far more twisted situation than Anakin and Padme spending a few weeks together.

14. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    Hmmm, not so much in a modern sense I think.

The AOTC romance was always intended to evoke a more classic aesthetic, one that most of today's audiences aren't familar with at all.

As for time frame, we live in an age of speed dating where you can sit down and assess your date in 8 minutes or less. 4 or 5 days or whatever doesn't seem that unrealistic at all.

15. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    The AOTC romance was always intended to evoke a more classic aesthetic, one that most of today's audiences aren't familar with at all.

Exactly. I look at Star Wars as a classic fairy tale and in such tales, fantastic love stories do take place.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

16. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    Okay just coming from a woman's perspective here....

I really think it's possible for Padme to have thought about little Ani over the last 10 years because she *did* grow close to him in TPM...she cares for him deeply and I don't think that would have gone away. However, she doesn't see him in her mind as a grown man yet, when she thinks of him every now and then he is still that little boy.

I mean, heck! I still remember this little boy I knew when I was like 3 or 4 years old named Miles...he was the same age and I just thought he was cute, we were friends. From time to time I still remember him, but in my mind he's still a 4 year old, not 28 like he would be today!

As a woman, I think we girls tend to "hold on" to memories of friends and people we cared about be that boyfriends or whatever through the years. I bet every time Padme opened her drawer and found that little Jappour Snippet little Ani made her she thought about him, probably wondered what he was doing and if he was okay, but in her mind he was still the little 9 year old. So yes, she thought about him even during those busy and stressful 10 years for her.

Now of course she's surprised when she sees that he has grown up because in her mind he was still that little boy and little by little she sees that he is a man...a good looking man at that! [face_love] Couple that with already caring for him and you've got the seeds for love!

And then we know that Anakin has been thinking about all throughout those 10 years because he worshipped her in TPM and so his feelings mature with him, because to him she is already a woman and then he sees her and she's only grown more beautiful....

So I really do believe it's possible for them to fall in love in the short time that they do because Padme already cares for him and then this turns into love the more she sees him and gets to know him. And heck, if I had a beautiful man gushing his heart out to me *sigh*.... well, lets just say that fireplace seen would have gone *way* differently [face_batting]

heh heh....

-AnakinsLuv, the woman's perspective in this thread ;)

17. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    totally not believable IMO...well perhaps not totally...

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    THANK YOU, AnakinsLuv! THANK YOU!
    It's really good to hear a woman's perspective on this, because without it, this discussion is really stuck.
    The japor snippet is a very good point. She did think about him over the years, I'm convinced of that now.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

19. Mos_Eisley

May 23, 2004
    And heck, if I had a beautiful man gushing his heart out to me *sigh*.... well, lets just say that fireplace seen would have gone *way* differently

heh heh....

I have a rare learning disability that makes me unable to pick up on innuendoes and inferences.

Please explain in more detail. ;)

20. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I have my reasons

21. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    You seem eager to share those reasons?

Star Wars is one
    /LM

22. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    do I?

23. Mos_Eisley

May 23, 2004
    don't I?

24. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    What exactly did you mean by "I have my reasons"? What were you referring to?
    I mean, was it in answer to something we said?

Star Wars is one
    /LM

25. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    It doesn't matter but to cut a long post short. Padme who is very strong in her belief war and violence don't change things or solves problems doesn't even wince at Anakin at the Slaughter admitting scene. Very out of character for her, being in love with a mass murderer. It is also very obvious she views him (up until the lst twenty minutes) as a little boy. So why the sudden turn around is beyond me. There are more reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.