Is Padme and Anakin's relationship believable?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by inkswamp, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Mical Jedi Knight

star 1
    Naw..no way weeks.. The wedding is happening at the time Obi-Wan is talking to Yoda and Windu about the battle. That's a few days later at the most. They have bacta and hyperspace in GFFA.

It's a real stretch to buy the marriage considering everything. They are betting their careers on this and sacraficing their ethics. Just don't buy it.
  2. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    doesn't even wince at Anakin at the Slaughter admitting scene

You didn't read her facial expressions, I hear.
    And it is not obvious that she thinks he's a little boy. That's just in the first scenes on Coruscant.
    To me, it's readily obvious that she's attracted to him on Naboo.

Star Wars is one
    /LM
  3. Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Knight

star 3
    Luke can become a Jedi under Yoda in days,

I was under the impression that Luke was there a lot longer than that. Remember, the MF's hyperdrive was out so it would have taken at least weeks for them to get to Bespin at sublight speeds.
  4. Charn Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Padme's look was wooden. Not one of shame for sure.
  5. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    I was under the impression that Luke was there a lot longer than that. Remember, the MF's hyperdrive was out so it would have taken at least weeks for them to get to Bespin at sublight speeds.

That means Han Solo (Han freakin Solo) spent weeks in the falcon with Leia....Does that not seem "odd" to anyone?

Padme's look was wooden.

Just when i think i've heard it all...
  6. Charn Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    you have to admit it wasn't much of a reaction.
  7. Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Knight

star 3
    That means Han Solo (Han freakin Solo) spent weeks in the falcon with Leia....Does that not seem "odd" to anyone?

Actually, I think it gives Han and Leia time to get all lovey dovey like they were on Cloud City. It actually makes LEIA'S love declaration more believable (although I dont think believability was ever lacking in that relationship) ;).

Why would it be odd for Han imparticluar anyway?

Its a good point. Its about the same lack of reaction when Leia found out about DV being her father. She was worried about Luke, but no freaking out like I would if I found out Hitler was may father.
  8. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4

What's "much of a reaction" ?

Whas she supposed to start shouting at him, hit him or burst into tears?

Anakins a complete mess, of course Padme has to remain steady for him. But to say she was "wooden" is ridiculous, you can see in her face that it definitely does affect her.

Actually, I think it gives Han and Leia time to get all lovey dovey like they were on Cloud City. It actually makes LEIA'S love declaration more believable (although I dont think believability was ever lacking in that relationship) .

Why would it be odd for Han imparticluar anyway?

It's weird because Han jumps at every chance to "get with" Leia, then to think they spent 3 months together in the Falcon? Dunno, I always saw it as more of a suggestive relationship - until Leias confession.

It does explain how Boba/Vader manage to get the Empire unto Bespin so firmly though.

although I dont think believability was ever lacking in that relationship

Nope. Importance however :p
  9. Darth_Maulkor Jedi Master

star 1
    A lot of people consider the love scenes in AOTC to not be believable. Well...here I shall give my psychological point of view as to why it may not work with people. (be warned, this is going to be a long one) This is concerned with the psychology of the characters.

P.S. People who know Jung's theory on personality will probably be able to understand this...

In Jung's world, there are 4 different temperaments. Artisan (the majority of people), Guardian (the second majority), Rational (very few) and Idealist (very VERY few).

Artisans communicate through concrete speech, and are utilitarian in implementing their goals. Guardians communicate through concrete speech and are co-operative in implementing goals. Rationals are abstract communicators, and utilitarian. Idealists are abstract in speech and co-operative in goals. Idealists and Artisans are opposite. Rationals and Guardians are opposite. Naturally, Idealists and Rationals fit together (if they can find each other, they're both so rare) when considering mating or friendship, and Artisans and Guardians make a pair.

The main thing to worry about is the difference between abstract and concrete; abstracts live in the world of ideas, concretes live in the world of objects. Metaphorically: The concretes see the trees, the abstract sees the forest.

In overview:

Artisans are the sensation seeking personality. They aspire to be artistic virtuosos and yearn for impact on other people. INTELLIGENCE: tactics

Guardians are the security seeking personalities, they aspire to the position of the executive and yearn for belonging. INTELLIGENCE: logistics

Rationals are the knowledge seeking personalities, they aspire to be wizards (of knowledge) and yearn for achievement. INTELLIGENCE: strategy

Idealists are the identity seeking personalities, they aspire to the wisdom of the sage and yearn for recognition (of who they are). INTELLIGENCE: diplomacy

I believe that George Lucas is a Rational (at least so far) and I believe that in his head Anakin was meant to be a Rational as well. I also believe that he had an Idealist in mind for Padmé's character (she's a DIPLOMAT, she's supposed to be intuitive and feeling, she finds Anakin's Rationalness attractive, etc. etc.).
    If you want to get even more specific I think Anakin was meant to be a Mastermind Rational (he's always talking about 'systems'...masterminds view the world as a system) and Padmé a Counsellor Idealist.

Now had these characters been played as a Rational and Idealist in love, it might've worked (despite the fact that they're so rare no one would recognize them).

(The reason that Han and Leia's relationship worked so well was because it followed almost all the rules of an Artisan-Guardian love story, Leia being the Guardian and Han being the Artisan).

But instead, Anakin and Padmé are portrayed as people having severe personality crises. I believe this is because both Hayden and Natalie are Artisans and George is trying to get them to portray abstract characters. Naturally they would define the characters in terms of their own personalities and go with it. So Anakin is an Artisan bordering on a Rational, and Padmé is an Artisan bordering on an Idealist. They don't quite make it.

The solution to the problem? Well I dunno...maybe if George explained the characters to Hayden and Natalie more fully. I have to admit though they did a pretty good job of trying to understand the world of the abstract.

Well that was my point of view. This probably belongs more on themes of star wars and symbolism of it message board but oh well.

10. Darth_Maulkor Jedi Master

star 1
    P.S. That was my hundredth post. :D
  11. passon16 Jedi Padawan

What i would like as a romantic touch in episode 3 after anakin falls in lava a romace developing between obi wan and padme. I mean *plz dont kill me i have only been a fan for 8 days* for sound romance that would be good but anyway its about war i guess. But remember there is grown ups watching.
  12. passon16 Jedi Padawan

guess i closed the topic.... the idea wasnt that bad what are all our songs and movies about love and forbidden love
    ps: my post there mayy have been a bit off topic but i didnt find a bette rplace to put my idea
    btw maulkor good post im a rational myself
  13. Darth_Maulkor Jedi Master

star 1
    Are you sure about that? Umm...for some reason you seem way more artisan to me :p I won't explain why. Besides. Rationals only make up 10% of the population. I know for a fact that I am an Idealist though, a solid fact, unlike most people who have no clue what they are.

Infact I am so bold that I will say I am a Counsellor...and my best friend is a Mastermind. [face_plain] I know that sounds stupid but I have done my homework...
  14. passon16 Jedi Padawan

I know im a rational too. I read Carl gustav jung myself and I just like a good romance once and a while. Im not an artisan and a extremely simple example is I am very unlike the majority. I can see many of my attributes (yup the dark sides too)in anakin skywalker and thats why I like the character. I dont know why you read books on your personality and character, but I tkae test and look at myself for knowing better who I am and to take the utmost advantage of my strengths and weaknesses (flaws). Like I know im power hungry and thats practically bad but using it to push myself on will probably lead to a sucessful career. I know its off topic but why do you read those kinds of book or take personality tests?
    PS: Maulkor I yust red your pofile... very interesting thaught you were an adult but cool(sounded that way by your post) what personality type are you (the 4 letter thing like meyers briggs)
  15. Darth_Maulkor Jedi Master

star 1
    I didn't mean for this to go off topic but:

I said before I was a Counsellor, INFJ.

I still don't think you're a rational buddy :p . A Rational would never talk like this: 'very interesting thaught you were an adult'

Not making fun of anyone. Just pointing something out.
  16. Darth_Maulkor Jedi Master

star 1
    Anyway...anyone else agree Padmé and Anakin were meant to be portrayed differently?
  17. passon16 Jedi Padawan

I didnt think they were portrayed bad but i dont like the way the important scenes were deleted. It was a love story as they say but they spent more time with obi wan then with anakin and padme so essentially it was an action movie.
  18. Darth_Mimic Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't have a problem with how it was shown onscreen. I think that putting two attractive people of that age and in those situations together will create feelings of intimacy. And really, Padme by this time is probably sick of politicians trying to pick her up.
  19. He_Who_Knows Jedi Padawan

i dont mean to offend anyone but i dont think those of u who think that theyre merely in love for looks know what ur talking about.
    Darth Vader is born not because Anakin just goes psycho all of a sudden, he is born because of the tradegy of how deep his love is.
    Anakin's personality pushes him to be reckless and rash as u can tell from AOTC, and for this very reason he subjects to the darkside. Remember in AOTC when he tell Padme "i'll even learn to stop people from dying." This is all dark side rationalization.
    The only thing that holds Anakin to the lightside is Padme...

no spoilers
  20. Obi-one-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

great post dude, btw were can i read the script?
  21. THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    Now some of u wondered why anakin would even stay alive after the tradegy that is his life, but some of u dont realize that in blaming himself he succombs himself to the punishment of living with what he did, even though palpatine was the one that tricked him into getting into the whole mess.
    Now im sorry, but someone with a love that deep does not care about the looks, he cares for whats in her head and heart, which makes her unique from the billions of beautiful girls in the galaxy that he could have in a heart beat.

So he goes on to commit even greater atrocities against the galaxy, he lives with himself quite well would you agree. Also if he cared so much about Padme shed still be alive wouldnt she? Like Tina Turner said "Whats Love Got To Do With It"
  22. mojorising Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Please, name one "atrocity" we see Vader commit in the original trilogy.

If I recall, Tarkin was the one responsible for the destruction of Alderran, not Vader. He gave the order to fire. Vader just stood there... that's all.

Is standing there when people are doing bad things evil or is it good? It depends on your perspective.

Might I add that Hayden Christensen is a Canadian. Natalie Portman was born in Jerusalem, Israel (she has "dual citizenship").

23. He_Who_Knows Jedi Padawan

thanks man,
    the script is here on theforce.net btw.
    search for 'revenge of the sith'on google, and click on theforce.net link. at the bottom of the page there will be an option to view the scritp.
  24. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    REMINDER:

There is exactly one forum for which it is okay to post Episode III spoilers, and that is "Revenge of the Sith (Spoilers Allowed)".

Rick McCallum loves you!
  25. Darth_Mimic Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry, when I said that they were young and both good looking, I was being slightly silly. Of course they have more to their relationship than that. But I see it like Romeo and Juliet. It burns hot, it starts quick, and it isn't brought down by too much time together. The two don't have time to know each other as adults. It's just passionate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.