main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Padme and Anakin's relationship believable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by inkswamp, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-one-Kenobi

Obi-one-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    Yes I mean we have these relationships everywhere today. Marriage isnt working in fast pace soceity like ours so it should be very believeble to us. (i know they marry at end)

2. darth_padawan_padme

darth_padawan_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    In epi 1 anakin starts getting obsessed and stuf except padme just has like a caring sort of love for a 9 near old buy. except in episode 2 she sees hes sort of matured and stuf and she can be easy around him so it turns into caring AND romantic love and hes already obsesed so the relationship is quite believable. i think inkswamps post was the best explanation to the question: you have to remember who these people are... a senator with political duties and a jedi for whom attachment is forbiden. anakin shows his love throughout the whole movie and padme is reluctant until she knows they are going to die. quite believable.

3. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002

i think the film failed to supply enough material
    to convince us that padme was ready to fall for someone. the quote about "dying a little bit each day from the moment you came back into my life" implies a deep relationship that had took place in the past.

anakins side of the story makes sense...but they could have supplied a little more content (within the film) about how disconnected a jedi was from every day society. what bothers me most is the audience is never given a chance to root for the lovebirds. you're just shoved into the romance.

the overall story works for the two characters involved, but the fact is we know "zilch" about the life of a senator or a jedi aside from public service.

4. vaderluv

vaderluv Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2005
    I just rewatched select parts of ATOC, with just this topic in mind.
    I think that Padme may be drawn to Anakin's vulnerability. Although he seems cocky and arrogant, he is actually a fragile character who is deeply, deeply wounded by his experiences as a child. I think this is why GL decided to "begin" the story with a 10-year-old Anakin: he wanted for us to understand that this boy's life was already filled with great hardship and tragedy. Padme, as a person in the business of "helping others," would naturally be attracted to this sort of figure. Maybe *she's* the one with the hero complex! (I'm half joking there). But seriously, perhaps she sees through all that bravado and sees him for who he is: "still that little boy," orphaned, confused, and simply loves too much and too deeply. I think she understands his predicament. I wish there is more exposition of her character, but I do believe that we are meant to expect or intuit this somehow, based on events of TPM.
    Now, whether or not GL did such a great job with translating that angst through the screenplay is another issue...But I think that both HC and NP did fine work with the material they had at their disposal. If you watch carefully, you can notice that both actors try to communicate alot with their eyes -- IMHO, they are struggling to express nonverbally what is not there in the script.
    Also, I just happen to think that Padme is almost *too* perfect, *too* "nice" a character, and like so many of us gals, just can't seem to resist a bad boy! But I have nothing to substitiate that claim. Just my opinion!

5. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    From one "luv" to another....

Thank you for that post! I totally agree :D

THANK YOU, AnakinsLuv! THANK YOU!
    It's really good to hear a woman's perspective on this, because without it, this discussion is really stuck.
    The japor snippet is a very good point. She did think about him over the years, I'm convinced of that now.

Thank you Lars_Muul [face_blush] I try to "keep the Force in balance" within these sort of discussions! ;)

I have a rare learning disability that makes me unable to pick up on innuendoes and inferences.

Please explain in more detail.

Mos_Eisley -- That's for me to know and you to sit and wonder about all the days of your life... [face_mischief] o_O

-AnakinsLuv who is ashamed it has taken her so long to get back to all of you [face_blush]

6. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I didn't find their relationship to be believable. It seeemed more like a preteen realtionship based on big crushes. The actors didn't seem to be in love with eachother. When Padme told Anakin she truly loved him, it just didn't seem real, it sounded emtpy to me. Just my two credits.

7. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Did you guys notice that they got MARRIED at the end of the movie? MARRIED! After being together for a couple of days!! Oh yeah that's really believable.

For two people to get married after being together for a few days requires them to share one hell of an experience together, something totally, unforgetably, out-of-this world, romantic. Did this happen in the movie? No. In fact, the events that happened would suggest the exact opposite. There is no attraction between the two except for what seems purely physical. Padme has no reason to even like Anakin, so clearly at the end of the movie she should be turning him down instead of giving herself to him. It makes zero sense.

I personally didn't see that Padme cared about Anakin at all except for the line where she confesses her "love" to him all of a sudden. What makes her like that annoying brat at all, and actually MARRY him...is clearly beyond my capacity.

Their relationship SUCKS in my opinion.

8. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Did you guys notice that they got MARRIED at the end of the movie? MARRIED! After being together for a couple of days!! Oh yeah that's really believable.

Yes because that never happens.....

...right?

9. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    They do, but they are generally looked down upon, and noone wants to see it happen between two people with zero chemistry whatsoever. When they happen, both parties are usually completely swept off their feet. Padme isnt exactly exuberant the whole time.

10. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    For two people to get married after being together for a few days requires them to share one hell of an experience together, something totally, unforgetably, out-of-this world, romantic. Did this happen in the movie? No. In fact, the events that happened would suggest the exact opposite. There is no attraction between the two except for what seems purely physical.

Okay, now, there are two parts to this I'd like to point out... one, I think the whole Naboo sequence-- picnic, balcony, fireside etc-- was at least supposed to give a sense of an absolutely romantic situation they were thrust into. They're alone, they have lots of time to talk and they do, and the scenery is chosen for that special look. And someone obviously designed the costumes with that in mind, too. It might have been done better, but there you go. Secondly, they do share one hell of an experience together-- not just hiding from assassins, but going to Geonosis, fighting through the droid factory to get captured and having to defend themselves once again. Then, if that isn't enough, they have to try to stop a civil war, with Ani losing an arm in the bargain. I'd say that after all that, they know each other pretty well, or at least think they do. ;)

11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    They do, but they are generally looked down upon

They WOULD, most likely, be looked down upon had it been made public

noone wants to see it happen between two people with zero chemistry whatsoever

:rolleyes:

When they happen, both parties are usually completely swept off their feet. Padme isnt exactly exuberant the whole time.

We know for a FACT that she purposefully HID it from Anakins sight (likewise - from ours), so of course we're not going to see that.

With that said, she was still pretty much "taken" with the balcony kiss, for what its worth.

12. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    he's hot-she's hot...

how is this NOT believable?

weirder things have happened....

Leia kissed her brother, han solo's best friend is a dog, luke see's dead people...

but 2 smokin hot human's in a galaxy of aliens put together alone for an extended amount of time FALLING IN LOVE!!?? oh dear god not possible!

13. StarWarsFanBoy

StarWarsFanBoy Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2004
    when there no talking yes i belive it but no when they start to talk. Han and Leia was much more beliveable

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    A lot of people here are mistaking Padme's restraint with things not being shown. It's her restraint that shows her true feelings, not her visible feelings themselves.

A lot of people made the same mistake in TPM, calling Padme's acting "bad" because of the lack of emotion being shown. It's the lack of emotion that conceals her true inner feelings.

If you want to see what Lucas is trying to do with her, watch her eyes more closely next time you watch these movies.

15. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "Did you guys notice that they got MARRIED at the end of the movie? MARRIED! After being together for a couple of days!! Oh yeah that's really believable."

Aagin, I refer you to Romeo and Juliet.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's a fairytale, people. Just watch and believe.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

17. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    if your gonna say that Padme and Anakin's relationship ISNT believable, lets talk about how believable frickin Star Wars is.

enough said.

their relationship is one of the most believable things OF the story

if your gonna love Star Wars you gotta accept this

18. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002

there are two moments that come across as real within the film,

1) when anakin talks with padme on the cargo freighter headed to naboo

2) when padme's kiss right before the enter the arena
    ( it still feels real somehow, even though its totally out of place..)

also the deleted scenes where we meet padmes family and the extended "walk scene " to see the current queen of naboo. - i think these would have added to our perspective on padme.

19. StarWarsFanBoy

StarWarsFanBoy Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2004
    Romeo and Juliet was about forbbiden love, Anakins and Padme's wasn't forbbiden as much as discourged by the jedi code. or at least thats what i read. maybe im just confused. my point is that they rushed into getting married. i hear 5 mins in ROTS they get an anullment :D (not really im poking fun at the spears/alxender wedding)

Realizes he not funny :(

20. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "Anakins and Padme's wasn't forbbiden as much as discourged by the jedi code. or at least thats what i read."

For the Sith, it's always two. For the Jedi, it's always one lonely one...

21. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    If her feelings are meant to be concealed to the audience, then how are we supposed to relate to the character and empathise. Her attitude towards Anakin is consistent with that of a girl who is NOT interested in a guy and wants to get rid of him, or in some cases, a girl who's playing hard-to-get.

Throughout the movie I was wondering how the hell those two could ever be the mother and father of Luke and Leia when they had no chemistry whatsoever...actually a thought crossed my mind that Anakin was gonna rape her and therefore turn to the dark side, while Padme gets pregnant and has the twins (big imagination, I know :D)....anyways, all of a sudden we get this line in the arena "I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life...I love u." I LOVE U????? What the...she loves him?? Even Anakin was like "U love me??" Damn it, even the characters themselves didn't think the relationship was believable!!

I don't doubt that the circumstances that they were in could theoretically eventually end in love and marriage, but they would need to be shown to audience a lot better, and it would definetely take more time than that for them to actually get married.

22. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    BTW, does anyone know what she meant when she said "I've been dying a little bit each day ever since you came back into my life."?

Cuz I don't get it up till now...

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    She is restrained but her emotions are still there. It's just you have to watch her eyes.

I don't think lesser actresses could have pulled it off as well as Natalie Portman has.

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I have no problem beliveing the love story. It is perfectly logical that two people, spending time toghether in a beautiful environment might develop feelings towards each other. It would be weirder if nothing happened.
    Lucas` idea in the first place, was to make a kind of 20s, 30s film love story or medieval romance. I liked it because this has more Star Wars spirit than something from our own time would have.

About their marriage; yes they married pretty fast, but in those days on Naboo they had enough time to know each other better. If you really like/love someone, nothing matters; nor age, nor social status, nor any kind of duties.
    We must never forget that Star Wars is a story "a long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away". Look at our own planet. Just one planet has so many different cultures, different marriage ceremonies, hell, some marriages are still arranged by parents. Maybe this isn`t weird in Nubian culture. At least Lucas didn`t think it to be weird...

25. sithscotti

sithscotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2005
    I actually enjoy the romance more than the Han/Leia romance. Han/Leia is your typical Sam/Diane tv sitcom romance in that we have seen it before. This provide me fresh start where at least charcter doesn't deny their feeling forever . As far as the limited days, How come you people knock the Titanic Romance. That films 11 Academy awards, and how long could Jack and Rose have known each other. At least A/P had a history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.