main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Padme Force sensitive

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by plokoonkenobi77, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    No. Not at all.

2. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    People seem to attribute Force sensitivity to anything that is mildly out of the ordinary.

There's a big difference between force sensitivity and having force powers, and that seems to be something a lot of people are having trouble grasping. Through many conversations with Jedi in the movies it has been shown that someone doesn't have to be strong in the force in order to be sensitive to the force. To phrase it better, the actual force can be strong in someone, and that person can be sensitive to the force, but that person isn't necessarily going to be a powerful force user, even a relatively weak force user. Being connected to the force is a lot different from being a powerful wielder of the force, so it's not that hard to believe that Padme, who a couple of different Jedi have said is strong in the force, would be force sensitive but not be powerful in the force.

3. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Thank you. That is what I was attempting to say, but I suck and said it poorly. Good job.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    If that were true, why don't we see this anywhere else?

Where else would we see it? Luke and Leia have only one similar moment in the OT, that doesn't diminish either one of their potential.

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    What?! Where did that come from?

6. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Read the 3'rd post...

7. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    It wasn't in the movie, then.

The till is still empty, and the money is still in my pocket.

8. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Deleted scenes are considered canon. The only reason they're deleted scenes is because they didn't have enough time in the movie.

9. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    Well, I don't consider deleted scenes nor cut lines canon.

10. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Well, she did notice the clones arriving before the Jedi and she did an amazing bit of quick recovery when she fell off the clone transport and noticed the clone approaching.

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Everyone has the force in them,but more strong then others. There is the small possibility she could've been a Jedi, had she not been so old and wrapped up in politics. But leave it to Lucas to explain, even though he wont.

12. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, I don't consider deleted scenes nor cut lines canon.

Your opinion on what is and isn't canon isn't really relevant though. The entire SW universe is Lucas', and what he says is canon is canon. I may not agree with all of the creative decisions that are made in the SW universe, but I can't just go around deciding what I consider to be canon for myself when Lucas himself, through his various companies, has labeled what is and isn't canon.

13. Edel-Ien

Edel-Ien Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    She probably is, but not enough to be trained as a Jedi. People can be strong in the Force and not become Jedi. They might be particulary empathetic, ie Padme's alleged symbiotic relationship with Anakin, or these strong-in-the-Force people might just be a little more special than you or me. Shmi was strong in the Force, but she wasn't a Jedi. She wasn't born a slave, but also could have been born in the Outer Rim, so maybe she just wasn't identified early. Maybe Padme is Force-sensitive enough to be trained as a Jedi, but perhaps her political career had started when Jedi detected her, so she couldn't be a Jedi, or since Naboo is such a well-balanced, well-developed, peaceful planet, Jedi hardly need to do missions there, and that's why Padme wasn't identified. < But that also kills any theory of Force-sensitivity test administered at birth of babies in the Republic.
    So my opinion is that Padme was was strong in the Force, but not enough to be trained. Padme's ruminations, Padme's innate sense of anything wrong with Anakin, and her level of compassion for others kids of points me in this direction.

14. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    Half the time the man doesn't even know what's in his own universe, so any statement about canon coming out of LFL I look upon with great suspicion. So...deleted scenes, cut lines = not canon.

I've heard people say every second or third character is Force-sensitive, and it only makes the Force and the concept of it commonplace and not the special thing that it is. What is this alleged ability supposed to do for the character of Padme? Does it make her special? If you can swing a stick in a crowd and hit somebody who's Force-sensitive, it really doesn't make her anymore special than anybody on a Coruscant street. Does it deepen her character? No, not really. Do we understand her better? Again, no.

So what's the purpose of giving her this attribute?

15. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Half the time the man doesn't even know what's in his own universe,
    George has actually relied on the EU, not in his universe, in some cases. For example, Coruscant by Timothy Zahn. Aayla Secura in Episode II. From Droids, the Boonta Speeder Races...etc, etc, etc. For the purposes of such, like Zahn telling his own tales of how the Clone Wars were, George finally has been approving of material in the EU.

so any statement about canon coming out of LFL I look upon with great suspicion. So...deleted scenes, cut lines = not canon.
    Then I guess Qui-Gon telling HOW TO defy death is false. So then you might as well guess Obi-Wan 'picked it up' on Tatooine. And you may never know how the Rebellion started(until November...), or how Yoda ended up on Dagobah. These are all deleted scenes. These are all canon.

But it will always puzzle me if Garven Dreis did know Anakin Skywalker...

16. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Deleted scenes are considered canon. The only reason they're deleted scenes is because they didn't have enough time in the movie.

In that case, there are more continuity holes than I realized. But no, seriously, sometimes GL cuts scenes because he doesn't want them to be a part of the story, like the Red Leader/Luke scene in SE: ANH. He cut part of the original scene out because R. Leader goes on to say things about Anakin that contradicted what GL decided to do later with the PT. So, I can give DOFT credit on this.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I don't think she's Force sensative, at least all the time, but I think in the instance of the Council Room in ROTS, there is some kind of Force bond thing happening.

Makes you wonder what being pregnant with Force-sensative babies might have done, if anything.

18. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Half the time the man doesn't even know what's in his own universe, so any statement about canon coming out of LFL I look upon with great suspicion. So...deleted scenes, cut lines = not canon.

None of that matters, the simple fact is that the entire SW universe is Lucas' baby, and if he says something is canon it's canon, it doesn't matter whether you, I, or anyone else agrees with that decision, it's Lucas' universe to do with as he pleases. Like I said earlier, it doesn't matter how much he may contradict himself or how stupid some things may be that are canon, if he says they are canon, then they are canon, there's no questioning that fact, no matter how hard you may try.

I've heard people say every second or third character is Force-sensitive, and it only makes the Force and the concept of it commonplace and not the special thing that it is. What is this alleged ability supposed to do for the character of Padme? Does it make her special? If you can swing a stick in a crowd and hit somebody who's Force-sensitive, it really doesn't make her anymore special than anybody on a Coruscant street. Does it deepen her character? No, not really. Do we understand her better? Again, no.

So what's the purpose of giving her this attribute?

Once again, you are entirely missing the difference between force sensitivity and force strength. Look at it this way, there are a ton of people who can play baseball, however there are only a select number who are good enough with their skills to play at the highest level. Not the best analogy, but it illustrates the point you are missing about the force, the thing that separates the Jedi from other people isn't their ability to know about the force, it's their ability to harness the force and use it for a greater power that not everyone else is capable of achieving. Padme being sensitive to the force doesn't diminish the force in any way, it just shows how much the force permeates all life in the SW universe, it shows how the Jedi are the select few who can not only be sensitive to the force but can take the force and use it as a, no pun intended, force for whatever their cause may be.

As for this attribute adding to Padme's character, it adds yet another dimension to her character, and that's what building a character is all about. Not every layer has to have a cataclysmic impact, she is a woman, she is a wife, she will be a mother, she has been shown to be an idealist, she is a politician, she is independent, she is many other things, and then you add on one more layer of characterization by making her force sensitive. So yes, her being force sensitive does add more to her character.

19. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    I can and I'll keep on questioning it, because it's about his credibility. I can't dispute that he created SW, nobody can. But I can dispute his command and control of his creation, and whether he's made sense of it and made sense of it to us. He's got to show me he knows what he's doing. In the case of canon/not canon, he hasn't, not to my satisfaction.

[quote=PerfectCell][b]Once again, you are entirely missing the difference between force sensitivity and force strength. Look at it this way, there are a ton of people who can play baseball, however there are only a select number who are good enough with their skills to play at the highest level. Not the best analogy, but it illustrates the point you are missing about the force, the thing that separates the Jedi from other people isn't their ability to know about the force, it's their ability to harness the force and use it for a greater power that not everyone else is capable of achieving. Padme being sensitive to the force doesn't diminish the force in any way, it just shows how much the force permeates all life in the SW universe, it shows how the Jedi are the select few who can not only be sensitive to the force but can take the force and use it as a, no pun intended, force for whatever their cause may be.[/b][/quote]

Now you're missing my point. The point is just about every slightly beyond ordinary instance in SW of luck, fortune, ingenuity, awareness, and skill is automatically attributed to being Force-sensitive. And this has the effect of raising a character on the "neatness" scale. There's that added cache of this remote connection to the Jedi without being one. They're being admired for that and not being just lucky, fortunate, ingenious, aware or skillful, which should be enough to raise someone's admiration by themselves.

It feels artificial.

[hr]

[quote=PerfectCell][b]As for this attribute adding to Padme's character, it adds yet another dimension to her character, and that's what building a character is all about. Not every layer has to have a cataclysmic impact, she is a woman, she is a wife, she will be a mother, she has been shown to be an idealist, she is a politician, she is independent, she is many other things, and then you add on one more layer of characterization by making her force sensitive. So yes, her being force sensitive does add more to her character.[/b][/quote]

Like I suggested above, she's being propped up in here because she's might be Force-sensitive, not for simply being a wife tuned into her husband's emotions.

20. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    I can and I'll keep on questioning it, because it's about his credibility. I can't dispute that he created SW, nobody can. But I can dispute his command and control of his creation, and whether he's made sense of it and made sense of it to us. He's got to show me he knows what he's doing. In the case of canon/not canon, he hasn't, not to my satisfaction.

Unfortunately you can't, as I've said before, it's his sandbox and we're lucky to be playing in it, we're subject to his rules and his whims, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. If he says something is canon, it's canon, I may question a lot of what Lucas does, he's no genius like some believe, but what he decides to be canon and not to be canon can't be questioned, that's a fact, and there's no arguing against fact.

Now you're missing my point. The point is just about every slightly beyond ordinary instance in SW of luck, fortune, ingenuity, awareness, and skill is automatically attributed to being Force-sensitive. And this has the effect of raising a character on the "neatness" scale. There's that added cache of this remote connection to the Jedi without being one. They're being admired for that and not being just lucky, fortunate, ingenious, aware or skillful, which should be enough to raise someone's admiration by themselves.

It feels artificial.

You're still missing the point, not every action has to revolve around the force, and you seem to want to say that every person who posts here is ascribing every great act to an act of the force. That's not the case, take Han Solo for example, he shows great luck and ingenuity, yet unlike Padme, I have no reason to believe he is sensitive to the force because no hard, or even soft, evidence has been provided that could possibly show him as being force sensitive. You ignore the hard, and soft, evidence about Padme because it suits the needs of your argument, and you ignore the difference between force sensitivity and force strength because doing that also suits the needs of your argument.

Like I suggested above, she's being propped up in here because she's might be Force-sensitive, not for simply being a wife tuned into her husband's emotions.

You asked why give her force sensitivity, and I provided a key reason for doing so, by adding another layer to her character, and I cited other layers her character contains to go along with the possibility of force sensitivity. Maybe you didn't understand that point, because in relevance to the question you asked and the response I made, your counter-response makes little to zero sense at all.

21. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Padme isn't force sensitive, at least not enough to do anything significant like "feel" Anakin's pain when he began to cry and definetely not enough to become one with the force. Why? Because if she was force sensitive enough to do things, she would have been recognized as force sensitive and she would've been trained as a Jedi. And is she a Jedi? Nope.

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Unfortunately you can't, as I've said before, it's his sandbox and we're lucky to be playing in it, we're subject to his rules and his whims, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

But if he said all deleted scenes are canon (not sure he ever said that), then he is contradicting himself, since he has removed scenes because they do not fit his idea of canon any longer. Thus, DOFT has a valid point.

23. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    You're still missing the point, not every action has to revolve around the force, and you seem to want to say that every person who posts here is ascribing every great act to an act of the force.

Go around these forums and I'll bet you at one time or another somebody has asked "is _____ Force-sensitive?" of different characters, from Padme to the third Ewok from the right in the celebration scene in ROTJ. EU people, raise your hands if you thought for a millisecond that Thrawn was Force-sensitive. I thought so.

That's not the case, take Han Solo for example, he shows great luck and ingenuity, yet unlike Padme, I have no reason to believe he is sensitive to the force because no hard, or even soft, evidence has been provided that could possibly show him as being force sensitive. You ignore the hard, and soft, evidence about Padme because it suits the needs of your argument, and you ignore the difference between force sensitivity and force strength because doing that also suits the needs of your argument.

There is no evidence, hard or soft, that Padme is Force-sensitive. (And the question about Han has been asked for a very long time.) I'm ignoring the difference because that's not what I'm arguing. I find the concept of Padme being Force-sensitive to be objectionable. I'm not arguing context (how her being Force-sensitive is/could be working in the fabric of ROTS).

24. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Is Padme force sensitive?

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.