Is Padme playing Anakin for a fool?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthMaul13, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I have a bad feeling about this...

Something is telling me that Padme is playing Anakin for a fool. That she really has no love interest in him, and told him that she loved him, out of pity. They were going to die afterall, so why not give Anakin some appreciation before he is eaten alive. The marriage may have been forced upon her by Anakin when they reached Naboo.

There is something more at work here. Anakin's obession with Padme will lead to his destruction. Perhaps she will admit that she has no love for him at all, and that will anger him greatly. They will seperate in the next film.

Its a common theme these days. It doesn't follow a true fairy tale story, but it would definatley turn one obessive lover to the darkside.
  2. merlin Force Ghost

star 4
    [color=663300]Even though it's hard to believe these two could fall in love given what we have seen in the movie, I think padme is quite honest with him about her love.[/color]
  3. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed, merlin. I believe that her love for Anakin is genuine.
  4. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've been dying a little each day since you came back into my life.

Okay, that line speaks volumes. She's been feeling Anakin since she first saw he and Obi-Wan for the first time in ten years but she tried to hide it at first.

This is not The Young and the Restless at work here. These are two people deeply in love with each other.
  5. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, their love is true - after all, that's the only way it falls in line with the epic romanticism that defines Star Wars - but you have to remember that while Anakin is a dreamer, Padme is a pragmatist driven by actions, and her beliefs are fickle and unstable.
  6. Arachnophilia Jedi Knight

star 2
    i dunno. but it's quite possible that that is exactly what anakin is lead to beleive...
  7. trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think she is playing him. If you read the novelization, it does a much better job of showing you her feelings... she sorta has a crush on him from the beginning- I mean, what girl wouldn't like the handsome young kinght that saved her from evil bugs?- and it progresses from there. If GL had included the scenes with her family, you'd have seen that her sister even teases Anakin about being the first boyfriend Padme's ever brought home. I think she's just confused because she's never been in love before and doesn't know what to do about it.

Well, just my 2 cents.
  8. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, while I don't believe the novelization is anywhere near canon, I very much liked the way the story was expressed. I appreciated their love more when it was shown a little more two-sided.

Nevertheless, I do not think Padmé is "playing" Anakin. She truly loves him.
  9. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have to agree with DarthMaul13. i think padme realized after anakin told her about killing the tuskan raiders that she had accept anakin, otherwise he would flip out and possibly cross over to the darkside. that little scene before they go into the arena, theoretically, they were about to die and people do and say strange things when they're about to die.

padme knew anakin was dangerous, or at least realized it earlier on. by telling him she loved him, she probably hoped she could at least keep him from falling.
  10. haakun Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, Padme got pregnant to take Anakin away from the dark side. [face_plain]
  11. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope, their love is true. Why do people have problems accepting Padme and Anakin's relationship?
  12. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Because enough wasn't shown in AOTC to make anyone believe that Padme had any interest in Anakin.
  13. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    I agree with DM13 that the movie does not show the romance well. (I haven't read the novelization, but rumor has it that the love story is much more believable.) However, even though I didn?t ?buy? Amidala falling in love with Anakin, I know that their love is important to the story, and I don?t think that Lucas would mess with that.
  14. MasterRunma Jedi Padawan

I agree!
    In the movie you can see that it isnt a perfect romance... Anakin is really obsessed about Padme. And Padme, as a early politician, never had much of a chance of having a relationship, falling in love,etc.
    And, so I think, Padme is being political, as you can notice in the movie (sometimes as she looks at him), that she is doing this, because she cares about him (not love, he is afterall "little ani!"), and because she knows that he is turning evil...
    So she is neither playing or deeply in love. She likes him and wants to help him... The only problem is that she only thinks she knows what she is doing... love is not a politician tool, you cant shape or change it at your own free will.
    The results? Darth Vader
  15. Lady Phoenix Jedi Master

star 4
    I think she *believes* she loves him. Whether or not it's "true" love or will last for very long has yet to be seen.
  16. jedi4500 Jedi Knight

star 1
    well said, lady phoenix!
  17. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The force tells me that Padme will ask for a seperation from Anakin, and then he will go medieval.
  18. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Is Padme playing Anakin for a fool?

Come on! She is the mother of Luke Skywalker for crying out loud! There has been something between Anakin and Padme since "I was glad to have met you Anakin!"

19. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    What does being the mother of Luke Skywalker have anything to do with it?
  20. General_Lando Jedi Knight

star 1
    Fact: GIrls are lonely. They are about to die and she doesn't want to die alone. She's a senator and probably only meets greedy lecherous old men. He's a young hunk and she wants to "get some". Simple as that. Love...maybe not, but Lust yes.
  21. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    I was hoping someone would start this topic! :)

I've had some ideas regarding the romance...

My personal opinion is that Padme "loves" Anakin but is not "in love" with Anakin.

I think she cares for him very much. She is looking out for him. She realizes that he is a ticking time-bomb just waiting to explode and is trying to stop that from happening. After the tusken slaughter she knew better than to say she wasn't in love with him.

I also think her love pledge was a way to appease to Anakin as well. She thought they were about to die and told him what he wanted to hear. As we all know, they didn't die. Now, she is stuck in a tough position. It is very subtle, but look at their faces just after they kiss at the end of the movie. Anakin smiles at her and she gives a blank, almost terrified expression back at him.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the romance. It worked for me just fine. I just think that it is built more on obsession and circumstance more than anything else....

"Now, where was I...?" ?[face_plain] -Lenny
  22. General_Lando Jedi Knight

star 1
    i think you're on target. girls are soft-hearted and try and help others way too much sometimes. girls go out with guys they feel sorry for often.
  23. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    Because enough wasn't shown in AOTC to make anyone believe that Padme had any interest in Anakin.

I agree with you on that, but I think that's more a matter of poor execution than Padme's emotional behavior. The problem with her showing so much emotion is that Padme's character is very reserved and pragmatic; she doesn't shown emotion readily during the PT so far and to have her completely fawning over Anakin would be against her character.

However, more should have been done to show that she did have feelings for Anakin; this could have been done in a subtle matter but was sadly overlooked. I think that a great deal of the disbelief & complaints about their romance could have been dealt with had there been more with Padme dealing with her feelings with Anakin.

It is very subtle, but look at their faces just after they kiss at the end of the movie. Anakin smiles at her and she gives a blank, almost terrified expression back at him.

Are you talking about the wedding scene? Because I don't see that at all. I probably just missed it, though, so just going on what you say...Padme should be scared.

This is the first time in her life that she's done something that isn't reaosnable, and she's listened to her heart instead of her head. She knows that the odds won't work out, that there's too much against them, but the thing is...She loves Anakin anyway, and just as he is not able to give her up, neither is she able to sacrifice him.
  24. Rabid_Monkey Jedi Padawan

go to aintitcool.com he has written the perfect review/thought on aotc, he said that padme never really had somebody truly love her like anakin did, sure she had family, but not somebody who loved her with unending passion. anakin only knew 1 love, his mother, padme was the only one he really turned to, the one who was there for him on the ship, who cared for him. he loved her so much, he would give up being a jedi, the greatest honor in the universe to be with her. when she found out that somebody loved her as much and deeply as much as anakin did, she was so starved for love, that she embraced him.
  25. darthgetalife Jedi Master

star 3
    Al right kids , let's talk business here ?
    Many film critics, viewers ( fans or not ) has lost a lot time bashing the romance, saying that Anakin have done nothing to really gain Amidala's love, that she should never have felt for him, bla, bla, bla ? and all that is a great bullshit .

The thing that most of people seem to have fail to notice is that Amidala also always loved Anakin.

Typho line to Ob1 that he should be more concerned about Amidala acts than Anakin's when they are leaving to Naboo undercover is the confirmation that something would happen with both of them if let alone for a time being.

See , as an exercise to watch AOTC i watched again the OT and TPM.
    There's a fundamental scene in TPM for that matter ? i believe it's scene 30 or 31 in the DVD.
    When little Anakin is about to be tested by the Jedi Council he goes to padme bedroom to say goodbye to her ? he believed once he was accepted as Jedi he would never see her again .
    There Padme says to him ( altough even him didn't recognized her in her Queen outfit ) that she will never forget him and he'll live in her heart for the rest of time ( or her life ) .
    Cut back to AOTC : the first scene we see Anakin he says that he tought of her every single day since they met ?
    Obvious that was the consequence of Amidala saying in TPM ? she feeded him an obsession .
    She gave him reason to dream about her ? and I dot believe she would have done that if also didn't have feelins about him.
    The point is : she started the game .
    That said it was just a matter of time for the two of them to get things going .

And let's face the facts ? things most of the fans don't say ? but if Amidala wasn't also after Anakin why did she dress the way she did ?
    She knew the guy was drooling all over her and she uses the most seductives type of dress innocently ?? leather, transparencies .
    If even the fans don't want to see it , the romance happens because she wants to ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.