main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Palpatine truly evil in the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth-Seldon, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    He wanted peace. How can that be evil?

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    There was an error in the transmission. He promised you in pieces.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't think so either, based on the evidence I gave, I just said that I can understand someone else's argument that he does. I definitely don't think Palpatine cares at all.

Strongbow likes this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Hahahahahahahahaha. Clever.

Wasn't a similar line in the novelization went like (on Mustafar)

"We where promised a handsome reward!"

& Anakin was like "Am I not handsome enough for you?"

vncredleader likes this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    And the one I said. I think it was after Nute Gunrey said that Sidious promised them piece.

Darth Basin likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It was:

A tall cloaked figure, slim but broad-shouldered, face shadowed by a heavy hood, stood in the doorway.
    San Hill beat the others to the greeting. "Welcome, Lord Vader!" His elongated legs almost tangled with each other in his rush to shake the hand of the Sith Lord. "On behalf of the leadership of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, let me be the first to—"
    "Very well. You will be the first."
    The cloaked figure stepped inside and made a gesture with a black-gloved hand. Blast doors slammed across every exit. The control panel exploded in a shower of sparking wires.
    The cloaked figure threw back its hood.
    San Hill recoiled, hands flapping like panicked birds sewn to his wrists.
    He had time to gasp, "You're—you're Anakin Skywalker!" before a fountain of blue-white plasma burned into his chest, curving through a loop that charred all three of his hearts.
    The Separatist leadership watched in frozen horror as the corpse of the head of the InterGalactic Banking Clan collapsed like a depowered protocol droid.
    "The resemblance," Darth Vader said, "is deceptive."
    Shu Mai, president and CEO of the Commerce Guild, looked up from her knees, hands clasped before her, tears streaming down her shriveled cheeks. "We were promised a reward,'' she gasped. "A h-h-handsome reward—"
    "I am your reward," the Sith Lord said. "You don't find me handsome?"
    "Please!" she screeched through her sobbing. "Pleee—" The blue-white blade cut into and out from her skull, and her corpse swayed. A negligent flip of the wrist slashed through her column of neck rings. Her brain-burned head tumbled to the floor.
    Rune Haako, aide and confidential secretary to the viceroy of the Trade Federation, tripped over a chair as he stumbled back. He fell to the floor, shaking like a grub in a frying pan, trying to scrabble beneath the table.
    "Stop!" he cried. "Enough! We surrender, do you understand? You can't just kill us—"
    The Sith Lord smiled. "Can't I?"
    "We're unarmed! We surrender! Please—please, you're a Jedi!"
    "You fought a war to destroy the Jedi." Vader stood above the shivering Neimoidian, smiling down upon him, then fed him half a meter of plasma. "Congratulations on your success."
    The Sith Lord stepped over Haako's corpse to where Wat Tambor clawed uselessly at the transparisteel wall with his armored gauntlets. The head of the Techno Union turned at his approach, cringing, arms lifted to shield his faceplate from the flames in the dragon's eyes. "Please, I'll give you anything. Anything you want!"
    The blade flashed twice; Tambor's arms fell to the floor, followed by his head.
    "Thank you."
    Darth Vader turned to the last living leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
    Nute Gunray, viceroy of the Trade Federation, stood trembling in an alcove, blood-tinged tears streaming down his green-mottled cheeks. "The war...," he whimpered. "The war is over—Lord Sidious promised—he promised we would be left in peace..."
    "His transmission was garbled." The blade came up. "He promised you would be left in pieces.''

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    This is so ridiculously stupid

CIS Droid likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The author tends to have the same wisecracking ruthlessness from his own character Caine, in Heroes Die, I'm told.

9. Berry Kenobi

Berry Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    This is an really interesting take on the character! In my opinion he is evil yes. When you betray your allies for your own benefits most people would say that you are an evil person. It is also clear that what he wanted was absolute power for himself. He cleverly disguise this with a quest for ultimate for in the galaxy. The rule of the Empire can be discribed as an autocratic regime whos main instrument of control is fear and oppression. The Emperor is always potrayed as a peaceful and loving man in autocratic regimes, just take North Korea for example, but Palpatines ultimate goal is galaxy-wide domination. His control of Vader is simply to be able to execute his instruments of control, fear and oppression. This we can see throughout the OT where Vader is widely known and feared for his knowledge of the force and expertise of his lightsaber. Sheev Palpatine is in my opinion based on this a pretty evil guy who doesn´t care for his subordinates(which is also shown in ROTJ when he wants Luke to kill Vader, his most loyal subordinate) and will gladely replace them to gain more power for himself so he can expand his empire.

10. Starwarsguy777

Starwarsguy777 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2016
    Well he did have some dumb moments. But he was pretty overall awesome.

11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    palpatine is evil,evil,evil. i get many things were corrupt but theres always a way to settle it than killing off the guardians of peace in the galaxy!

12. JammerPickle

JammerPickle Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 20, 2016
    While to me, he had evil intent. The republic was broken and changing and/or fixing the republic is a good cause. He did it for the wrong reasons, its cause he wanted power not because a broken democracy. P.S I not calling myself a communist but putting in a system with more powers (not all powers of course.) given to a person for a short time is a good option in a crisis, but palpetine wasn't satisfied with a short empire lifespan(Which Kind Of Happened). So he's evil. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    The republic was corrupt because of his own influence and the influence of his allies and cohorts. He caused the problems, then made himself look good by fixing them. There's no way he can be considered in the right from any point of view, except the Sith.
    There was no corruption until he came along.

jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

In the Legendsverse the Republic is somewhat corrupt already - but Palpatine's predecessors may have played a big part in that - the idea being that the Sith corruption of the Republic is multigenerational and isn't all in Palpatine's generation.

Emperor Ferus and PCCViking like this.
  15. JammerPickle

JammerPickle Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 20, 2016
    Emperor Ferus I agree with Iron_lord . It seems that there was corruption before palpetine. Also, as Palestine says that the senators are on "the payroll of the Trade Federation". Which seems to be true( I know papletine said that). Chancellor Valorum was ineffective with dealing with the naboo crisis.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    When I said Palpatine's cohorts, I meant the sith at large. When Palpatine joined the Sith, he knew what he was getting into and chose to continue the corruption.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    he is about as evil as it can get

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't want war.
    All I want is peace. Peace.
    Peace!
    A little piece of Poland
    A little piece of France
    A little piece of Portugal
    And Austria perchance
    A little slice of Turkey
    And all that that entails
    Und then a piece of England Scotland
    lreland and Wales
    A little nip of Norway
    A little spot of Greece
    A little hunk of Hungary
    Oh what a lovely feast
    A little bite of Belgium
    And now for some dessert
    Armenia Albania
    And Russia wouldn't hurt

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Now Starwarsify that (while still keeping the rhyming scheme) and it'll be perfect for the movie quotes thread ;)

Dark Ferus, Deliveranze and PCCViking like this.
  20. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I would say so. The most truly evil people have the ability to present themselves in a benevolent manner like Palpatine did up until the Declaration of the New Order.