Saga Is Palps referring to Qui-Gon in the Opera? re Cheating Death

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by princethomas, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    Watching ROTS on Blu Ray this weekend for the first time in several years. Something new stood out. When talking of the ONE person who has managed to figure out how to cheat death. There seems almost to be a bit of frustration from Palpatine. Could he be referring to Qui-Gon? Could he be aware of what the Q is doing behind the scenes. It would be interesting and would add more to that dynamic. It would also give a bit of a puzzle to the end of ROTJ when we can say, ding dong the Emp is dead...or is he?
  2. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Pretty sure he explicitly states it was Plagueis
  3. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    He was referring to his master. It is ironic that Qui-Gon and the jedi are the ones to really figure out how to cheat death fully. However, Palps is talking about his own master.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Frank T. like this.
  4. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    Yeah, I guess that is right. I was thinking about it afterwards and didn't rewatch. I know he said Plagueis could stop OTHERS from dying. But then I got the Cheat Death line in my head as something that had to do with stop ones own death. Which Qui-Gon sort of does.
  5. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    The line about one person "cheating death" isn't from the opera scene, it's from the turn scene. And while the obvious implication to Anakin is that Palpatine is referring to Plagueis, it is stated in the EU that Plagueis was not the "one" who cheated death. It is still a reference to a Sith, not Qui-Gon.
  6. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    I went back. It is the just after the turn scene where he says it. He doesn't explicity say in that seen its Darth P but it clearly can be assumed. Moreso than anything else. My bad. Im sure there is a padawan lesson about overthinking something without rewatching first. Should have listened to the Midi-Cs talking to me.
  7. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    What does cheating death mean? Does it mean living forever, like the philosopher's stone or the elves from LOTR, where your body never dies or ages and you're ageless, and don't die unless you get a sickness or somehow die of non-natural causes?

What was Palpatine talking about? So vague.
  8. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Not dying. If they die, they loose their power. And Sith are all about power.

The Jedi didn't cheat death ("death is a natural part of life"). They die, but were able to find a way to retain their consciousness after death.
    Last edited by Alexrd, Oct 24, 2012
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    It's very sad that Anakin never gets to meet Padme in the end and they never reunite, since she was not a force sensitiv:_| e and cannot retain consciousness after death.
  10. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    We don't know what happens after a Jedi "passes into the Dark netherworld of the Force" though. We know Qui-Gon came back, we see Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan came back- but in the EU, Obi-Wan at least "passes on to the world beyond" after 9 years of helping Luke.

Maybe there are ordinary people in "the world beyond". Even the EU doesn't say.
  11. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    What is "the world beyond"? No clue.
  12. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    In Heir to the Empire Obi Wan explains to Luke that he can't stay any longer- he must pass from this world to that which lies beyond- and he says farewell.
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ehh. ROTS pretty well squashed that whole notion-Qui-Gon flat-out says Yoda will live forever. I understand Zahn did it mostly to keep from using magical Obi-Wan as a handy plot device, but you don't see it hurting TESB or ROTJ any that Ben knows everything :p
    Yunners likes this.
  14. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    "Eternal life" doesn't necessarily mean "On this plane".
  15. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not to mention that it's been long since contradicted in the EU in general. But..this isn't the EU forum. :p
  16. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    More recent books- like The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, also have him "moving on".

Whether or not Jedi in general have to- he chose to say that to Luke.
  17. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Probably to keep in line with the EU, not the movies.
  18. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm OK with "the path to immortality" not actually meaning that the Jedi spirit will stay on the material plane forever, but that it will remain conscious forever.
  19. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Makes you wonder how eternal consciousness works - is it boring, unable to drop in on this mortal plain?
  20. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    "Palps", my we're getting informal about Sith lords aren't we?
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Would you prefer "Papa Papa Palpatine"? :D (see Robot Chicken)
  22. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    What do you mean by "getting informal about sith lords"?
  23. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Normally the SIth wish to be called "High Supreme Overlord Darth___" and not by their college nickname or IM name. Sids was very particular about folks calling him Sids - he hated it. Since I hate him, I like to rile him up.
  24. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    Better nickname-Palps or Sids?
  25. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Palps is the family-friendly face of the Republic; Sids is the ass-wrinkled face of the Empire.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.