main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is plus sized an offensive term?

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jun 21, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Is the term plus sized an offensive term? For guys we call it big and tall. We don't even call larger sizes plus size. We just ask what waste size and neck size and leave it at that. Its definitely bullcrap cause men and women are being treated differently. And what are sizes are normal for society?

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't think its offensive its not like we are calling them fat or overwait were just making it Easier to shop. I think its probably just as offensive to go with XXXXL or whatever because there two many xs and it might make people feel bad. But Maybe thats not a problem because people will want to loose xs on their clothing size I dunno sometimes I feel like Im waisting my time talking about this?

Boba Nekhbet, jp-30 and Havac like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @pointgiven

Isn't that the very definition of a Beezel thread?

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's no fanboy.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This thread is gonna turn into a plus-sized ****storm!

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Nope. I think help to find for some people the right item in the middle of chaos store.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    But they *are* plus size. Plus just means above the average amount of sizes. It's not like it's saying this is a hippo size. Just +.

Also did you know that the "petite" section in stores isn't actually petite? And that if you actually are petite NO ONE EVEN MAKES CLOTHES FOR YOU. Everything has to get custom tailored.

Now get on the treadmill, beez.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's a good point, actually. I dated a girl years ago who was a natural "size 0" -- in that, that was the closest approximation at size for a woman, but she generally had to shop in Girls sections.

Ugh, don't get me started on clothing sizes (for both genders, but especially for women).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    "Plus-sized" offends me because it smacks of political correctness and contributes to America's obesity problem by obscuring the problem and making it look like it's not a problem.

You're not plus-sized, you're FAT. Deal with it.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ignoring the conflation of political correctness with marketing strategies, the term predates the modern obesity epidemic by several decades.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Start! Start! Start! Start!

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There is no obesity problem in America. We can have Health At Every Size.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Plus size is not offensive now but it likely will be within the next 10-15 years. It's a natural cycle. We create a new term that isn't offensive to describe someone or a group of people so we don't have to use the former descriptor which is now an insult. Ultimately plus size will be used as an insult and be no different than calling someone fat. In which point we will need to create a new non offensive term to last the next 10-15 years.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

[​IMG]

"...here we go..."

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We should stop making clothes for kids. It just encourages the poors to have more.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why is their no minus size did you guys ever think about that. i think its discrimanatory to have a plus size and no minus size? Like what size are skinny people if their isn't any minus size. I think its singling out fat people to call them plus and not to call skinny people a minus. but maybe it is positive to call fat people plus like plus is good, everyone like a plus it is better then a minus. i don't know what do you think about it.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I'm 5'7", wear a size 6, and some brands of the "regular" clothes are too long for me. But the "petite" sizes are too short.

Supposedly the "average" American woman wears a size 14; I have been a size 12 before and I was definitely too heavy for the way I'm built. But that size is not considered "plus" and might work on someone else.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i think the Washington redskins should change their name to the Washington plus sizeds and then we can really see if its offensive or not

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I support this, but only to see if their fans call themselves chubby chasers.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've no problems with the term plus size. Also petite sizes refers to height, not width. Regular plus sizes hang horribly on me, which is why I often buy petite plus sizes.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.