main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is plus sized an offensive term?

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jun 21, 2014.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I don't know, but I like plus sized women. Mmm... curvy.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... petite just means short.

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    http://photos.posh24.com/p/907034/z/david_hasselhoff/hayley_hasselhoff.jpg

She is a size 12. Would you call that Plus size?

There should be a range of sizes that should be small medium and large. Beyond that you could say extra small or extra large. But by saying plus size without acknowledging small sizes it smacks of unfairness. A wafer thin girl is acceptable is but not a larger girl. I have met many a plus size woman with all the confidence in the world. And honestly sizes should be a range based upon a consensus of health and beauty experts to give confidence to whomever wears their clothes. It should start with the big box retailers. They can come up with a consensus and then force the industry to start respecting women. Not objectifying them as bad for being plus sized.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Doesn't this already exist in women's sizing?

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wow. Its like Wailord come to life.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "So, I see you're plus sized."--yeah, this would be offensive.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm more offended by the term BBW. sure, the big and woman part is true, but the beautiful isn't always.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And if someone just uses "BW" when describing themselves it could be misleading.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes.

To add... I don't really like the 'sm, med. lg" formula, and am glad that plus sizes are available for people. Not all bodies are the same.... some have fuller breasts, wider hips, etc... sm, med, lg is too general. A woman with a fuller ass wouldn't fit into clothing designed for a woman with a flatter ass, etc. So... to answer the question, no, plus size isn't offensive... it's just a sizing system for people whose bodies don't fit into "normal," (whatever that means) sizes. I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to be implying, but it's off-putting. So... yeah, this is a dumb thread, beez.

10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    That is why it needs to be reevaluated. Because we have only touched one side. If there was a minus side then maybe. But only Plus side. That is wrong. Seriously, how is a guy supposed to handle a girl when she asks him if she is plus sized or not.

Oh and shirts are usually small medium and large. But I would be ok if a team of health professionals said 0 to 6 is small 7 o 12 is medium and 13 to 19 is large. Granted I am throwing out numbers here. At least with a range based upon health standards instead of perceived standards of beauty.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    See my post.

12. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Standards should be decided by health and beauty experts together. Not just some guys who think skin and bones is hot.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We're not talking about standards. We're talking about sizes.

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    But doesn't groups or a range of sizes make up a standard.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of perceived beauty? No. Only pea-sized brains decide that only "small" or "medium" on a size label means "beautiful".

Jedi Merkurian and harpua like this.
  16. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Yeah, but calling someone plus sized has always been a slur against them and of course their beauty. You accept plus sized because someone said it was ok. But who was that someone. And does that standard hold weight. I am just saying that it should be up to Health officials to decide what makes sense.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

beez.... you're the only person in this thread who has decided being plus sized is something to be unhappy or ashamed about. You're part of the problem. Plus sizes are for people who don't fit into the general 'sm, med, lg' sizes... people with fuller hips, chests, etc. It's not at all offensive, and the fact that you think it is, is pretty telling.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Also the fact it wants beauty experts involved tells the story.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Since she is a model who wears plus size clothing: yes.

You realize that you are the one putting negative connotations on that term in your own mind, right? Plus size is a range of sizes, in to which m. hasselhoff falls. You are the one equating it with a bad thing(I.e. "Look at her! Don't you think she is attractive? How could she possibly be plus size? Those people are fat and unattractive").

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    In that case, I'm plus sized too.

s65horsey likes this.
  22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I am so triggered right now

:p

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Sizes exist literally to help people determine what clothes they need to buy so they don't have to try on every single one. So long as no one is naming their sizes deliberate offensive terms (eat some more, good size, hamplanet, etc), I think it'll be okay. Only the most attention-seeking people would have a problem with well-intentioned size names. Why is this a thread?

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I had Mexican food last night.... my waste size was massive, today.

25. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    BEANTASTIC!

harpua and anakinfansince1983 like this.