main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is plus sized an offensive term?

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jun 21, 2014.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok but that is sort of a problem because I can't buy my size in every different brand of pants. I have to try them on and I usually go into the dressing room with two or three different sizes because I have no idea how they're going to fit. Even within the same brand the style will fit differently in different sizes.

Does it not work like that for guys? There is no way I'm buying a pair of pants without putting them on first.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    "Waste" indeed...hit the gym harpoops!
    [​IMG]

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    its not a weight thread until vin posts a gif of a morbidly obese person

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i think different sizes are really helpful and completely necessary. any 'standards' that come from whatever number is on your particular pair of pants are cultural. the problem isn't with the number, the problem is with the culture.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd say not really. I know the waist size and length I need and buy those. They'll do. Now, I'll go shopping with the mrs and she'll try on multiple pants and I'll tell her if each pair fit or not.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    it does seem a bit inviting of ridicule tho that a store that specializes in plus-sizes is called "Dress Barn" tho, right?

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    beezel, with all this blue sky thinking you do, you really should start a consultancy firm.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Yeah.... notice that he never posts pics of his own fat ass. :p

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Some people are naturally elephants others are decomposed corpses. Do you honestly think that skinny people want to be called "skin and bones"? Why don't you take your own damn advice and think before you start using insulting terms to define women's body types. You literally have no idea what you're talking about and are pulling dung from your elephant bum.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Now, now... let's not go insulting elephants in there...

Let's instead say he's pulling dung from his Zacvk Snyder decomposing zombie bum?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    beezel26 srsly listen to the words of the song. not only do big girls need love too, skinny girls need somebody to call them "boo". i think that's the lesson you should take from all this

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I've always had that same thought too. Even my mother, who is plus sized herself (and doesn't consider the term to be insulting) snickers along with me whenever we see one of those stores.

As for me, I do most of my shopping at a local men's store which seems to have damn near everything, including plus sizes. I was looking for a dressy button down shirt and the shelf it was on had sizes all the way from XXS to 10XL. I could have easily used the 10XL shirt as bedsheets.

13. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty sure DressBarn does not specialize in plus size clothing. Pretty sure they just sell dresses in general.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I just wish women's clothing had goddamn consistent sizing. I range from a size 4 to 12 depending on the store and brand. It'd be great if we could just use measurements the way men's clothes does. But vanity sizing…*sigh*

Plus, using a sizing system based on measurements would eliminate the need to designate things "plus size." (Theoretically at least)

s65horsey is right about the need to try EVERYTHING on. Makes shopping take forever.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hate to break it to you, but mens' clothing isn't much better, sadly but it doesn't appear to be THAT far off.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  16. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    Country Fried Steak
    Creamed Potatoes w/ gravy
    Steamed okra
    Blackberry cobbler

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I wear "plus size" in tops and yet I'm petite in height - and pretty fit, even if overweight. Some "dimensions" just come natural. Trouble with women's plus sizes is they all seem sized for 5'7" or taller so if they fit in the one area they should, they're too big elsewhere. And petites stop at size 12, usually.

And yeah - I wear stuff that ranges over 3 sizes, so that's a lot of trying on a lot of different sizes.

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't try on jeans(or pants, or anything) not because I know a certain size will fit, but because usually there's nothing else even close to the right size so I'd have to take it if I wanted it anyway.

And I don't think I've ever found a pair that actually does fit perfectly.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    **** it, let's all wear mumus.

20. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    what do you suggest, beezel? cus you know, numbers can be offensive too. everything's offensive when you choose to be offended.
    we can go with something completely unrelated to the size of peoples bodies so that no one will be offended. by anything. evar.

"what size are you looking for?"
    "oh im a flower size"
    "sorry, we only have rainbow and unicorn in :("

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  22. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't think it is... can't have sticks and bones running around everywhere.. The guys term is HUSKY

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Djellabas for everyone!

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Being completely earnest, I think this would be quite a handsome and positive trend to adopt.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

Happy now?!?!?

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.