main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Qui-gon a better teacher than Obi Wan, Yoda and Luke?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Aug 2, 2016.

1. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The measure of a best teacher is also a measure of the students. The best teacher for one is possibly a bad teacher for another. It's the match that counts.

When put that way, I have no doubt in my mind that Qui-Gon would have been a better fit for Anakin than Obi-Wan.

It's also worth noting that, given Qui-Gon's rather forward suggestions on training Anakin when talking to the Council, he did not expect himself to be dead less than a week later. Knowing that might have changed a bit of how he thought Anakin's role would work out.

I wonder if he would have brought Anakin out of slavery if he knew he wouldn't get to train him. I'm on the fence about that. Because it is clear immediately that not only does Qui-Gon want Anakin to be a Jedi, not only does he personally want to train Anakin, he puts his reputation and his status as a Jedi at risk to do it. And it's been raised before as a point that Qui-Gon may have helped Anakin avert his fall to do the dark side. I also think Qui-Gon would have caught onto the whole Kamino/Palpatine business way ahead of the Council. A lot of things would be different.

I think his role is rather important, and he would have been a good teacher for Anakin. Him dying left not only a void in Anakin and Obi-Wan's lives, but also a void in the Jedi and a void in the Republic. If there is fate in the Star Wars universe, or if the Force truly does guide things towards a destiny, sadly Qui-Gon had to die for the tragedy of the PT to take place, I think. The most perceptive Jedi, who was most attuned to things as they were happening and things that could develop into other things, had to die for Palpatine to succeed. And, knowing Palpatine's thoroughness, perhaps that was not so much of a bit of chance that Qui-Gon died where and when he did.

2. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Anakin was bad, but he was the chosen one, making whatever happened the will of the force. The force works in mysterious ways... or is that God?

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I think the question is a bit too "general." Qui-Gon would've been a better teacher for Anakin than Obi-Wan would've been but that does not necessarily mean Obi-Wan is an outright terrible teacher. He just wasn't suited to teach Anakin, which accelerated his turn to the Dark Side (since he was so strict and all).

4. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I always felt Qui-Gon could have steered Anakin clear from the dark side. Qui-Gon understood Anakin's destiny as the chosen one from the very beginning. Obi-Wan only trained Anakin because it was Qui-Gons dying wish. Otherwise he would have no part of it.

Iron_lord and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  5. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The thought that Yoda was potentially a bad teacher because of Dooku is bad line of thinking. It was decades after Yoda had finished mentoring Dooku that he turned to the dark side. Dooku may have been a full fledged Jedi Knight before Palpatine even started training as a Sith. That is a long time to put the failure on Yoda.

I disagree with this point. As attuned as Qui-Gon was, he was still second to Yoda. Yoda was just less of a risk taker. I think both Yoda and Qui-Gon would have done an equally as good job training Anakin. I think Anakin would feel less stifled under Qui-Gon, but I think Anakin would have been wiser under Yoda.

6. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Personally, I think Qui-Gon, both in style and in approach, and maybe even in Force-sensitivity, was ahead of everyone else at the time of TPM. I doubt Yoda would have been able to do much with Anakin, given how he speaks to Anakin in TPM and ROTS, and how Anakin responds to him. Yoda makes some serious errors of judgment in the PT -- though not to the degree of Mace and Obi-Wan, he still makes some big mistakes. Part of Yoda's arc is learning from those mistakes and making a change in his life and in his approach, and he goes to Dagobah to do just that.

Case in point regarding Qui-Gon and Yoda, I excerpt from the ROTS novel:

Subtext Mining likes this.
  7. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013

If Yoda had been training him almost every day for a 10+ years I imagine he would have a better feel for how to talk to Anakin. I wouldn't take his words as ROTS to represent how he would have talked to him for that long.

jakobitis89 likes this.