main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    You’re crazy man...

Avnar likes this.
  2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Solo and R1 are both tied for best of the Disney era for me. Both are great for different reasons. R1 has easily the best cinematography out of any SW film to me though. It's beautiful to look at.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Absolutely not. I think it's the worst film, by far, of the Disney era. However I haven't seen Solo yet, and am hoping to finally have a spin-off that I really enjoy.

4. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I posted this video in another thread but, because it captures precisely why this movie is my personal favorite, I'll post it again [face_love]

MS1 and darth_mccartney like this.
  5. odin1981

odin1981 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2016
    Of the disney titles yes R1 is my favorite. Though I will not see Solo until TNT because early Han backstory doesn't interest me. I could just break out the Smugglers book from like 25 years ago if I wanted for free instead of paying $.

6. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Worst is harsh but I have Rogue One as my least favourite of the Disney films.

I enjoy the anthology films but they feel like filler (enjoyable filler and a great way to spend your Saturday afternoon) and I prefer the main saga (with the exception of the PT of course). For all their faults I have TFA and TLJ as my preferred Disney films - not 100% sure of the order.

Of the anthology films, Solo is more fun, far more memorable and more the way star wars should be. Rogue 1 has its place and is a good film but a bit too serious.

7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I am not crazy. Man.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If it's the last on the list it's the "worst".

I don't even think RO is a bad film, I just enjoy the other 3 much more.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    I absolutely agree. Solo was fun-ish (I guess?) but most scenes were just so forgettable for me, especially compared to RO.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think you provoke people by using dismissive phrases such as "easily the worst." That implies that there either is no, or should be no, debate about it being the worst. Given that this is clearly not the case, and that a lot of people here rate it highly, it comes across as insulting.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Why would someone be insulted by the fact that I prefer the other 3 movies more than RO? Given the subject of the thread, it should be clear that "easily the worst" is my own subjective take on the Disney movies.Nobody else is beholden to my opinions.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  12. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I LOVE Rogue One but I'm gonna defend Zackm's right to hold that opinion. It's all subjective!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Of course it's subjective. I would defend zackm's right to hold that opinion to the hilt if it someone tried to curb it. I was just talking about tone, and explaining why that kind of language might provoke people into defensiveness. For example, I hold the unpopular opinion that ROTS is the worst Star Wars film. I just try to avoid saying it's "easily the worst" because I'm aware that for a lot of fans, that's pretty provocative. Anyway, it was just a small explanatory post more than anything. Wasn't trying to be reprimandy.

darth_mccartney and Sarge like this.
  14. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I also don't dislike Rogue One. I quite enjoy it. When I say "easily the worst" I mean that I don't have any internal debate about which one is my least favorite of the new movies. I know, without a doubt, that I enjoy the other 3 movies more.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Far an away the best SW since the OT. Some things could be better but it made me remember how great a SW movie could be. I rewatch it often.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Thanks for that. Makes total sense. I'll chalk this one up to my own misinterpretation.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    zackm likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As far as everyone dying...yeah, that’s a downer but it’s also to be expected given the subject of the film. It would be weird and require too much explanation if anyone had lived other than Vader, Tarkin and Leia.

That said...ROTJ’s ending is my favorite in the saga, with my stance on Rogue One as a whole remaining “a near-perfect to perfect movie and my favorite other than the originals.”

Jedi Knight Fett, Bor Mullet and MS1 like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. But interestingly, I find the ending of Rogue One to also be a very optimistic one. Even in the most complete of disasters (the death of all the people we've all been rooting for) their spirits and their actions live on. And there's hope. Basic heroic stuff. But powerfully and uniquely presented on screen.

Lee_, Sarge, EHT and 2 others like this.
  19. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I've seen this line of thinking a lot, but I'm not sure I agree with it. I don't think any explanation is needed beyond "None of the 'spies' that stole the plans for the Death Star were directly involved in the three journeys we join Luke on." You could probably tell 100 stories about the Galactic Civil War that run concurrently to the OT that have little to do with what we were shown on screen.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with this, but as the whole Rogue One crew dying really works for the Battle of Britain heroic sacrifice style story of the film, it's kind of academic. It was the right approach for this kind of narrative, independent of any superfluous explanation of where these characters were in the OT.

Sarge likes this.
  21. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Right. They should all die because it's the right story to tell. Not to save the effort of having to explain why they're not in the OT.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    R1 is an awesome movie. It was a huge surprise for me. It remains my 4th favorite after ESB, TLJ and ROTJ.

23. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    I actually agree with you on this. By the way, I personally love the ending the way it is. In a way, I don't blame them for choosing to kill the characters. BUT if they had survived (which could've easily been an option, especially for Jyn and Cassian), it wouldn't so hard to explain why they weren't in OT. Like you said, they could've went with "These characters are involved in a different story, not the one involving main trio and that's why he didn't see them". It's not really difficult, I would've easily accepted this, to be honest. It's a big galaxy and based on everything we know - rebellion is also large.

Again, I'm not criticizing the ending (I love it) - I just think their deaths weren't mandated just because they weren't in original movies.

Avnar and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. It wasn’t “necessary.” It was, however, good storytelling.

25. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    RO and Solo are both outstanding. I love TFA and TLJ, but both anthology movies are way better.

Both sit just below TESB as my all time favorite though, and just above ANH.

1. TESB
    2. RO
    3. Solo
    4. ANH
    5. TFA

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.