main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Rogue One is my favorite SW film of the films released after 1983.

starfish, Avnar, Ava G. and 4 others like this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    For me,it is nearly impossible to unseat ESB, ANH and ROTS, but R1 is right there.

Top film of the Disney era. I really liked the focus on the grimness and harsh realities of war; gave it much more real-life connection and veracity.

I understand why some SW fans wouldn't like it given it lacks the lightheartedness that the others have. Even the darkest of the other movies- ESB and ROTS- don't bring you close to the harsh realities like R1. To each his own, but I think it was a great idea to put it among the SW movies.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Ava G., eko32eko7, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I agree with Lee. I'd put it 4th. Very good film.

Ava G. and Lee_ like this.
  4. Darth Skippy

Darth Skippy Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2018
    It's #2 on my list, behind V. If you're old enough to remember, when Ep. V came out, it was controversial, and not all "fandom" accepted it. It wasn't the usual for movies of those times to end on such dramatic downers and cliffhangers. Yet, over time, it has come to be almost universally loved by all. I feel Rogue One will one day reach that status. Let's check back in 30 years, lol.

eko32eko7 and Sarge like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    RO still amazes me. I also think it’ll be viewed as a classic in the future.

Anyway, after seeing it the first time I ranked it third overall. Sometime early this year it moved up to second; this order still seems accurate for me:

ANH
    RO
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TLJ
    TFA
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM

starfish, avcpl and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    Just re-watched it last night; damn, what a great movie.

Have to say, your list is the first one I've seen that's closest to my feelings. A difference is that I don't have ROTJ that high. I was about 16 when it came out and the muppets and ewoks just felt like a step backward (plus the weird, lack of urgency, TV-movie feel of it); heck, I thought Yoda was too muppety for me when ESB came out!

I would have to wait all the way until RO to get the Star Wars movie I'd been dreaming of, but never thought I'd get!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Ava G., EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm not even sure it's my favorite of the Disney films. It does a much better job of world building and generally capturing a SW flavor compared to the two ST films, but at the same time R1 is the only Star Wars film where I pretty much couldn't care less about all the main characters.

Nowhere close to being my favorite.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think there's some kind of a correlation between ANH and RO love, for perhaps obvious reasons. My latest list:

1. RO
    2. ANH
    3. TESB
    4. TLJ
    5. TFA
    6. ROTJ
    7. TPM
    8. AOTC
    9. ROTS

avcpl and EHT like this.
  9. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016

SOLO?

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Shoot. I forgot. Revised below! Really liked Solo.

1. RO
    2. ANH
    3. TESB
    4. Solo
    5. TLJ
    6. TFA
    7. ROTJ
    8. TPM
    9. AOTC
    10. ROTS

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I copied that list over from a pre-Solo post. Including Solo I think it’s probably like this:

ANH
    RO
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TLJ
    TFA
    Solo
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My current list:

ROTJ
    ESB
    ANH
    RO
    Solo
    TPM
    AOTC
    TFA
    ROTS
    TLJ

ROTS and TLJ can probably tie for last place.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Rogue One is the best Star Wars since 1980. I love ROTJ and the overall story of the prequel era, but Rogue One speaks to me in a similar way as do TESB and ANH. I think about the characters, their plight and motivations all the time. The characters are not just characters, but have become avatars in my own internal dialog. The surrounding ancillary media has been excellent. I really hope we get new movies, perhaps set in a different time period, like Rogue One. I don't mean a sequel, but more war focused movies.

Avnar, mirrorbright and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. David J Rosenthal

David J Rosenthal Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2018
    I love rogue one, empire are my two favorites

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. David J Rosenthal

David J Rosenthal Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith had its moments that were well done I love obi wan and Palpatine act really good in it ewan McGregor and Ian mcdiarmid.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wrong thread, mate.

17. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Rogue One is my favorite of the Disney movies, 2nd overall. It really is an amazing movie, the only thing I have against it is the lack of emotional connection to the characters compared to the other movies. Considering that they couldn't really include older characters, however, they did a great job of making the R1 characters relatable and interesting before their death. Definitely one of the best.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @ThisIsMe1138, I find that the more I watch R1 and get to know the characters, the more powerful the movie becomes. The first time I saw it, I really wasn't all that caught up in it, probably because the characters were strange to me. But as they've grown more familiar, I've gotten more attached to them, and the story has gained a lot more emotional impact.

19. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Oh, definitely. I wanted to say that, but couldn't figure out how to fit it in. Guess you could ;)

Sarge likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The thing that I'm not sure many talk about in the movie is how it gave a more personal element to the Death Star's destruction. If you think about it, in over four decades you never really got a strong connection to Alderaan. Granted you got more of Leia's backstory over the years, and of course Bail was given a face and voice during the PT, but the planet itself and furthermore the people were for the most part unknown (at least in live action). Even in ANH, you almost felt more through Obi-Wan than you did with Leia. I'm reading the Leia novel, so of course Alderaan factors big throughout it.

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    ANH is hands down my favorite SW movie. But I find it increasingly difficult not to make RO a close second to that. That movie had such a strong impact on me, not just the movie itself, but also in what it provided for me at that time of my life, so much so that I feel like I have an idea what OT viewers felt back when those movies came out, that it is going to forever be at the top of my rankings of SW movie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Sooo true... =D=

23. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I love seeing RO as a fan favorite (at least from Disney era) ^:)^

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’ve enjoyed all the new films for the most part, but this one for sure is my favorite. It fits so well with ANH and the original trilogy. It’s all the more impressive because it features entirely new characters. Like others have said it gets better with each viewing, the final third of the movie is just so amazing and powerful, filled with amazing visuals and epic starfigher battles. As a fan of the rogue squadron and wraith squadron books it’s almost too good.

themoth, Avnar, mirrorbright and 3 others like this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It worked because it felt familiar and gave us what we wanted to see, but also introduced a bunch of new characters, worlds and subplots that enriched what came before.

starfish and Force Smuggler like this.