main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is R2-D2 Responsible for Everything?..

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Snokers, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Okay, so I don't know if this point has been put forward before, I did a basic forum search and nothing came up so I decided just to post it.

I've had this thought for many years that the little droid that's so dear to out hearts could be responsible for the events in the whole Star Wars movie saga..

Forgive me if I get any minor details wrong as I haven't seen Episode 1 in a while but in The Phantom Menace, R2 is the last astro droid left to repair the Queen's ship when it is about to be blown to pieces, thus setting everything in motion in a way because if the ship had been destroyed and everyone on board killed, they would never have gone to Tatooine, thus never finding Anakin Skywalker and none of the events that followed would ever have taken place.

I know I've looked too much into it but it's just a fun little scenario that's floated around in my mind for years.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    He enables some events to be set in motion, yes, but I'd stop short of calling him 'responsible' for absolutely everything that happened since. The only thing I'd say R2 is responsible for is saving the main characters' lives repeatedly over the course of the Saga. Everyone else is responsible for their own actions, good or bad.

3. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    Yeah it was only half-serious, just wondered if it had crossed anybody else's mind while watching TPM

4. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I think the events would have just gone worse without Anakin being discovered. Palpatine gets word of the TF`s invasion out some other way, and has another senator under his influence move for the vote of no confidence in Valorum.

He is still elected Supreme Chancellor, and eventually deals with the TF`s invasion of Naboo officialy, upsetting the corporation leaders.

He kills Maul and replaces him with Dooku, which is needed for the Separatist movement, then Dooku uses those upset corporations to form his Separatist Alliance.

Dooku still orders Jango to target a senator opposing the army (Bail?), and another Jedi follows him to Kamino. They trace him back to Geonosis and still bump into Dooku`s meeting, thus discovering the need for immediate action. Palpatine has another senator that is not Jar Jar propose Emergency Powers, and the war still starts.

There`s no siege of Coruscant, since Palpatine doesn`t have Anakin to tempt, so he gets rid of Dooku some other way. Perhaps he even keeps him alive and lets him play whatever part he thought he would play. Palpatine does something highly suspicious and the Jedi still try to arrest him, and then he kills them all, with the aide of Clone Troopers and Order 66. The Empire is still born, but there`s no Darth Vader, nor Luke and Leia, to save the Galaxy. Palpatine rules the Galaxy forever and ever.

So in that way, R2 saves everybody in making them meet Anakin. R2 is the galaxy`s greatest unsung hero :p

TrustyTrooper and Admiral Volshe like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he allowed it to happen because he saved everyone but he didn't make it happen.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    R2 is far more competent than many droids, and I'd say his sentience is on par with the organic characters. That's how I've perceived him for a long time.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  7. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Well - R2-D2 has braved many adversaries (I'd say he could even take on the TERMINATOR or even - though with plenty of SHEER DUMB LUCK ... GODZILLA) and the fact how his working friendship and relationship with Anakin over the years AND the fact how he carried wealth of stories, experience and information all the time ... plus the fact how if you noticed Anakin himself - in ROTS when he landed on Mustafar - at least up until then he didn't commit a 'memory mind wipe' on R2-D2 - he simply but rather ominously told R2-D2 to 'stay with the ship' whilst he goes about to serve a slaughter party for the Separatist thugs and big-wigs ...and the fact in the EU non-Canon Skippy the Droid ... so why not?

IMAGINE THOUGH IF R2-D2 was THE CHOSEN ONE OR ACTUALLY A DROID THAT NOT ONLY DEVELOPED MORE THAN JUST SENTIENCE LIKE BICENTENNIAL MAN BUT ALSO HAD FORCE-SENSITIVITY?

TrustyTrooper likes this.
  8. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    He is such a little hero! [face_love]

9. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Well he may have some 'quirks and glitches' at times but indeed - considering as we know:

1.) Manages to repair and activate the shields on Padme's ship when his fellow astromech droids perished ...

2.) Transmits and Transfers plenty of Holograms and Messages between the Heros/Heroines throughout the series :)

3.) Anakin's faithful co-pilot, friend and navigator ...

4.) Contained tonnes and tonnes of vital information for the Republic and Jedi - hence General Grievous tried to 'part' with him ...

5.) Able to fend off on his own - well atleast against dumbass droids ...

6.) Rescued/Helped in the rescue of Han Solo and the others ... given he activated the Lightsabers and also starts up his little fire-works show :)

7.) Always surviving no matter what - otherwise he'd have been 'PARTED' sooner than later ...

8.) Well next to Chewie and C3PO - if you think about it ... R2-D2 was always the 'heart and soul' of the crew :)

9.) Plenty of slicing of computer systems and such :)

10.) Rocket Boosting actions - and his wild wild yelps and screeches which were funny - much to the chagrin and annoyance of Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi no doubt ... espescially on the Invisible Hand ...

11.) Delivering Death Star plans ...

12.) Always remaining faithful and loyal to the Skywalker family and their allies :)

OH THE LIST GOES ON >:D

I'd pay to see R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... TERMINATOR - imagine a frustrated T-800 Arnie going 'YOU 'AR' ZE TROLLINATOR OF ALL MACHINES' to R2-D2 upon defeat haha ... OR I'd pay to see R2-D2 in a cross-over in ... iROBOT... or perhaps even ... TRANSFORMERS ... R2-D2 becomes the R-2 BOT ally of the Autobots!

OR R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... IRON-MAN >:D He'd be the ideal faithful assistant and side-kick to Iron-Man :)

OR likewise R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... I know I'm nuts saying this but ... GODZILLA!

TrustyTrooper likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    *quietly expresses bitterness over the butthurt scene*

And yes, I know the actors were best buddies and all.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If by "everything," you mean "saving everyone's ass, all the time, and having unending patience in tolerating 3PO," then...yes. R2 is responsible for everything.

12. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Someone is close to discovering it! Okay, who found out that R2-D2 trained Darth Plagueis? That was supposed to remain secret, guys!

Just kidding. Anyway, R2 is instrumental to many important points in the plot.
    -- Delivers Leia's message to Obi-Wan and Luke in ANH
    -- Saves the TPM crew from the blockade
    -- Saves Padme in AOTC
    -- Saves C3-PO in AOTC
    -- Helps Anakin destroy the TF ship in TPM
    -- Saves the ANH gang from the DS trash compactor
    --Saves the ESTB gang by repairing the hyperdrive

What an impressive war resume! R2 is the galaxy's MVD (most valuable droid)

13. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

LOL - for a moment I went GASP! BY THE FORCE?! R2-D2 REALLY HAS A 'DARK AGENDA' IF HE TRAINED DARTH PLAGUIES ... OR WHO IS TO SAY ... that R2-D2 was 'secretly programming' the faithful droid whom served Darth Plagueis for decades - if I'm not mistaken 11-4D ... I be both are 'D' droids whom were faithful to their masters ... you never know ... you never know ... given the saying 'never doubt the un-natural...'

Not to mention for R2-D2:

1.) Containing vital secrets of the Republic to the point General Grievous tried to 'part with him...'
    2.) Unfortunately also 'FORCED' to sacrifice and relinquish information regarding the Senate Passageway and Access otherwise C3PO would have been 'parted' ...
    3.) Yes endless endless transfers of messages :)
    4.) Always 'firing off' to the rescue precisely when he needs to be - so starting off a fire-works on the Invisible Hand just when General Grievous gloated of his Lightsaber collection...
    5.) Being comic relief - albeit loyal ones :)

Still as I mentioned I'd REALLY PAY to see R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... TERMINATOR - imagine a frustrated T-800 Arnie going 'YOU 'AR' ZE TROLLINATOR OF ALL MACHINES' to R2-D2 upon defeat haha ... OR I'd pay to see R2-D2 in a cross-over in ... iROBOT... or perhaps even ... TRANSFORMERS ... R2-D2 becomes the R-2 BOT ally of the Autobots!

OR R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... IRON-MAN >:D He'd be the ideal faithful assistant and side-kick to Iron-Man :)

OR likewise R2-D2 in a cross-over with ... I know I'm nuts saying this but ... GODZILLA!​

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  14. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    I love that little droid! His actions put in motion the entire saga more or less. I also agree that the characters are responsible for their own actions, but R2 did help them out of some bad situations!
    [​IMG]