main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Rian Johnson "Forced" to give Rey training and Finn force powers based on TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Shaak Ti, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm on the fence about whether or not Finn is FS and whether or not he should be. Honestly, a non-FS character that still learns to use a lightsaber would be pretty cool.

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Finn heard the voices from the victims of the SKB attack. He haves the Force.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I can haz the force too?

Shaak Ti likes this.
  4. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It's calling 2 u. Just let it in.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  5. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    It was more Kylo toying with Finn. Even though he was badly injured Finn was no physical threat to Ren; ie when Finn was knocked down Kylo non chalantly turned his back walking away. Basically saying I can do it again and there's nothing you can do about this. The second Finn landed a blow Kylo took him out without a second thought.

BloodStripe likes this.
  6. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    My favorite non-Force hero character is now dead, and not even a Force Ghost since he was no Jedi. This is sad. We cannot have any more heroes who are not with the Force, it is too traumatizing. No more ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Everyone should be given a degree of Force sensitivity. Not only Finn, but Poe, BB8, Chewie, R2, and CP30. Also any coming character who is on the right side of the Force that we come to admire. No, no more beloved heroic characters who triumph in the face of adversity through only their passion and loyalty.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  7. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Look.

There's doing things safe or pleasing to the majority.
    There's taking risks which are safe if not pleasing to the majority.
    There's doing stupid things which will ruin something otherwise decent.

We need number 2 for a fresh and interesting saga.

Number 2 is Finn: Jedi Knight.

Can you imagine the character becoming a solemn and sober individual, a stoic personality, wise and capable?

Of course not, and that's because TFA shows him to be the opposite. He's rash, impulsive, impatient...

But then ask yourselves what kind of journey he can go on if the character we saw in TFA still exists after what happened to him.

The actor playing Finn is a pretty decent actor if you ask me. He has convinced everyone that he's a bumbling comedic sidekick who happened on heroism. What if he actually got the part because of what he has yet to show us?

If these producers and filmmakers know what they are doing they will hit us with something memorable here.

If not... we will get a very predictable... safe narrative, which will be nothing but disappointing to everyone looking for that profound movie experience.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I guarantee Finn will wake-up from his coma a changed man. I won't be surprised if a vision wakes him up.

9. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Kylo tried to hit him several times. Finn dodged, parried and landed a blow which injured Kylo further. It's true Kylo did not consider him a threat, but he did not intend on being struck by Finn either. Finn is not a swordsman and definitely not trained in lightsaber use, but as a novice he took to it very well. With more practice and experience (which I'm pretty sure he'll get in Ep. 8), Kylo won't be able to disarm him as easily and it will be a closer fight.

10. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I'd argue he fought with the intention to kill Finn more compared to Rey who he was mostly trying to sway to the darkside for half their fight. The other half she went beast mode.

Shaak Ti and afrojedi like this.
  12. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    It also makes for a little more of a rehash of the OT. One of the things the so called Star Wars fan boys complained about in TFA. Now some want the story to be like episode V.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    and still it goes on :rolleyes:

Shadojoker and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  14. gizka

gizka Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2016
    *gasps in hungry delight* turnip white, is that a turnip with...paw-feet?

turnip white likes this.
  15. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Every time you click this thread over the next 658 days, mentally prepare yourself for this.

Shaak Ti and StormScavenger like this.
  16. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    This has been debated to death but people are missing some key points in the movie.

Finn..hears the screams of the Villagers in the beginning (thus he is freaking out),he had a force awakening.

The way Kylo looked at him after the slaughter was like he felt something from him...stared..then dismissed it. But when Poe escaped Kylo KNEW IMMEDIATELY thru the Force it was Finn. No coincidence.

2nd example..watch the film again..Finn hears the screams of the Republic when the Starkiller weapon destroyed the Republic system. There was no one else around except for the two pirates. He heard THOUSANDS of people screaming then silenced just like OBI-WAN did in ANH.

When Finn heard it with the villagers he freaked out but when he heard it the 2nd time he ALREADY knew what it was and what happened.

The duel..Finn defended himself Really well vs Kylo Ren. He blocked the viscous spin,and parried/blocked most of Kylo's offense earlier on.
    [​IMG]

That's a death kill spin move..and Finn blocked it on point not clumsily. See how fast Kylo moved?? He wasnt toying with Finn..he was trying to cut his head off!!! Finn blocked it like a CHAMP! If he wasn't so mad at Finn being a traitor he probably would have seduced Finn to train with him.

Open your eyes.Bread crumbs are all there. They even said it's been awakening waaaaaaaay before Rey touches the lightsaber at Maz. It's because of Rey and Finn. Finn AND Rey is force sensitive.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I didn't think Kylo was toying with him, I thought he was injured and therefore struggling with a lesser but very inspired opponent.

Shaak Ti and afrojedi like this.
  18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ... And yet as soon as Finn struck him, Kylo immediately ended the fight.

19. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Because he's a better fighter? Doesn't change the fact that Kylo was trying to kill him the entire fight.

Shaak Ti and Shadojoker like this.
  20. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Are we not allowed to speculate?

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ... Which he ended up surviving...

22. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Another mindless post.

And I feel compelled to ask.

Why would Finn have only 1 Jedi Power?

Shaak Ti likes this.
  23. Darth Dementor

Dec 19, 2015
    I thought the same thing mate; Finn putting up a good fight. After watching it again I realize no, Kylo was clowning him. Here's an exact breakdown of their duel: Finn charges at Kylo. Kylo swings at him immediately backing the rogue stormtrooper back, putting him on the defensive. Finn managed to onky get two swings off which Kylo easily blocks, countering with three swings off his own, so powerful they knock Finn down.

Kylo turns his back on Finn and beats his wound again. Finn jumps up charging at Kylo. Ren doesn't even bother to deflect Finn's saber attack. Merly sidestepping it, letting Finn flail past him, twirling his saber in circle as a taunting jest. Then walks up to Finn and starts his own attack, more violent than the first time backing Finn against a tree, ending with their sabers clashed.

Finn now trapped Kylo burns his opponents shoulder with one of his vents, prompting Finn to scream in anguish. Kylo pulls back for a killing head blow, allowing Finn to escape. He runs behind Kylo, they clash sabers once more then Finn manages to land a shot on his enemies shoulder. Kylo brings his saber down which Finn blocks and instantly Kylo disarms him; punches Finn in the face so hard it turns him around and Kylo slashes his back.

The entire time Kylo is moving at a mid pace while Finn is giving it all he's got. On top of it Kylo is making big wide slashes telegraphing what he is going to do. In the first part of the stanza Kylo is aiming for the lightsaber. And his blows are difficult for Finn to handle. In the second part(when Finn is knocked down and Kylo allows him to get up) Kylo cranks it up and Finn isn't able to get a single shot off, save for Kylo's overzealous mistake, which he makes Finn pay for big time.

I like Finn and it was courageous as hail fighting Kylo but he got trolloped.

Shaak Ti and Jakku Sun Aesthetic like this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    He was struggling to focus his anger because of the injury. The moment Finn struck him, it allowed him to focus for a moment, due to the induced anger of being struck, and decimate Finn. The only reason Finn is still alive is because Ren tried to force grab the saber.

25. Darth Dementor

Dec 19, 2015
    Actually Rey force grabbed the saber after the fight had stopped. By the time she came to Finn was down for the count. I wonder why Kylo didnt finish him off considering the hostility he had for him since the beginning? Maybe he thought Finn was already dead or he wanted him to die a slower more agonizing death?

Shaak Ti and Jakku Sun Aesthetic like this.