main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a Prequel?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 12, 2016.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I keep seeing suggestions on youtube videos and various articles that Rogue One is a prequel. Some commentators not even questioning if it is or isn't, just stating that it is. It almost seems to come from a prequel hating/ignoring angle.

For one thing, I wonder how this might change the marketing narrative for Rogue One. It could possibly become somewhat divisive amongst fans, with one camp aligning themselves with the idea of it being a prequel while the other camp maintaining that its an anthology.

Then there's the obvious SW timeline question which this debate will surely have to answer: What then is the specific time frame in which something is considered a prequel? Because if Rogue One is a prequel than that makes the events of ANH the exact point at which something is considered a prequel or not. And if Rogue One isn't a prequel, at what point do we decide that something is?

I don't know. I see this becoming a growing movement, not just for Rogue One, but any SW movie that takes place prior to ANH.

Maybe Disney or the filmmakers might come out and squash the idea at some point that Rogue One is a prequel. I mean if they could do it with what used to be long standing canon storylines in the expanded universe, why not with something like this?

2. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Well by definition the movie is a prequel. It takes place before the events of ANH and are directly correlated with the film. Now, because some may hold negative connotations with the word prequel because of the Prequel Trilogy, it doesn't change the fact the movie is a prequel.

However I do think, and we are starting to see this already with the teaser, that they are simply going to market this movie as a "Star Wars story" spin-off. I think the fact this movie is a prequel is pretty irrelevant to Lucasfilm, they just want to market this movie as a general expansion movie of the Star Wars cinematic universe.

TX-20 and weezer like this.
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I suppose as it's telling the events leading up to Star Wars that it can be referred to as a prequel. Don't see why that's a problem though, unless you're suggesting it's in some way going to be tarred by the prequel trilogy? Labelling these as A Star Wars Story is their way around any confusion between the new ST, the OT and the PT I suppose.

4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So then are we defining prequel as anything taking place prior to the exact moments that ANH begins?

Timeline wise you can't get much closer moving from Rogue One to ANH.

In my opinion, there oughta be set parameters, almost like the way we see certain histories written from era to era. We wouldn't consider events leading up to one era of history as being a part of the previous era, even though those events may take place before that era officially is considered to have begun. With Star Wars, I think we oughta look at more than just timelines and establish certain periods in the SW timeline as being prequel eras and OT eras. And should a movie take place in either of those settings it should be considered as such.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If it takes place before the events of ANH, then yes it's a prequel in the strictest definition of the word. It's really more of a prequel/spinoff hybrid imo though.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    There are plenty of those.

Maybe you're reading in something that isn't there. It is a prequel to ANH - the events in the movie take place before ANH. It is set in the OT era, not the PT era.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I just think there is going to be a growing number of people who won't bother to make that distinction and will consider Rogue One to be as much of a prequel as Eps 1-3.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It is.

That's what I don't get. Are you saying they'll make a quality assessment based upon that? Are you saying they'll assume it takes place in the PT era?

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have come to hate the term. but we know that Rogue one take splace right before ANH, so i guess it is a prequel

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    If we're considering Rogue One a prequel to ANH, can the same not be said for ANH being a prequel to ESB?

I just think that certain periods can be considered a prequel period and an OT period. Rogue One is obviously an OT period. A prequel to the OT, sure. But it wouldn't be correct to consider it a prequel in the same manner that Eps 1-3 are prequels in the overall timeline.

Not to mention I think many prequel haters/ignorers may champion the idea of Rogue One being a prequel just out of spite.

And if the debate gains more traction then I think it could garner some confusion amongst general audiences as to whether it is a prequel or an anthology.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I really don't see the point of this thread. Yes, Rogue One is a prequel, it plays prior to the movie that started it all, which by definition makes it a prequel. None of that matters though, because Lucasfilm has never ever used the term prequel to market anything. As such, they don't have a reason to squash anything.

You are putting an artificial category onto these movies that simply doesn't exist. Lucasfilm doesn't split Star Wars into prequels, originals and sequels, and because of that they have no reason to assign any spin-off to such a category.

And no, ANH isn't a prequel to ESB, because its the original. "Prequel" is just a play on words of the word sequel, which portrays something that follows the original. The concept of a prequel is that it plays prior to the original, but has been made after it.

AndyLGR and hippie1kenobi like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No. ANH proceeded it in both "movie time" and physical time.

I don't think that is in question. Most timelines that you'll see tend to break things down based on the battle of yavin, but they're usually still grouped by what is going on at the time (new republic, old republic, empire, etc.)

***** em. Haters gonna hate.

I think that has generally been a concern since the movie was first announced, though most of it concerned the break between the ST and the anthology films. I don't think the general audience is concerned about it as we are. They'll get that it takes place before ANH and after ROTS, I don't think they really need anything more than that to get it.

vncredleader and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes.

I think people are smart enough to understand that the concept of a prequel isn't inherently bad. They'll watch the trailers, think it's awesome, and watch the film.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is this post a prequel to the lock, or is the lock a sequel to this post?

16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I feel this is not worthy of any type of consideration -- it's kind of silly to even care as there isn't much "fun" per se in discussing it.

If anything is worth discussing - it would be what viewing order does this fall into. which is really not much of a debate -- especially not having seen the movie yet.

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    ^That is the fundamental question.

Just wait, give it some time, there are already those classifying it as a prequel and not an anthology. From what I can gather thus far there will be a bigger discussion on this topic as the movie moves closer to being released.

18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    That would be because definition it is a prequel to ANH. It takes place prior to the original movie and its events directly play into the original movie. Simply to say if the events of this movie do not happen the events in ANH do not happen. So by every definition it is a prequel.

An anthology is simply a collection of works that may or may not be related. There is nothing preventing a prequel from also being part of an anthology.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No.
    A New Hope (or Star Wars, if you will) was the original film. Hence, The Empire Strikes Back is a sequel - it was made afterwards, and it takes place later in the timeline. In no way, shape or form is A New Hope a prequel to The Empire Strikes Back. A New Hope could be called The Empire Strikes Back's predecessor though.

It is a prequel, as well as an Anthology film. There's not a lot more to discuss, honestly.

It takes place before A New Hope - the original film - therefore it is a prequel. But it is also an Anthology film, since it is part of the Anthology series of films.
    Any film taking place before A New Hope is technically a prequel, just as Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. But if you want to make it somewhat less technical, Rogue One is still a prequel because it tells a story that leads directly into the original film.
    A film taking place, let's say, fifty years before A New Hope, that doesn't in any way tie into the original film would still technically be a prequel, but it wouldn't necessarily be one from a story point-of-view, and it would seem slightly dishonest to lable it as one. This isn't true for Rogue One however, since, as we established, it does tie directly into A New Hope.

Enkei likes this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I really don't think people are as dumb as the OP fears. "Prequel" or not, if it looks and sounds great, fans and general audiences alike are going to flock to it. There's nothing to worry about.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, maybe that was a bad comparison saying ANH is a prequel to ESB.

Still though, it bothers me the way I've seen some of these reviews and speculation completely dismiss the anthology aspect and focus more on the prequel aspect. And I just hope it doesn't lead to a trend in continually ignoring the actual prequels in favor of prequel anthologies.

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I've seen some reactions like, "Ugh, another prequel?" but that will fade. It barely skirts by the major issues with prequels by focusing on new characters. And beyond that, if the movie is actually good, the meme will become "The first good Star Wars prequel".

That said, there's a reason LFL are avoiding the P-word in promotional material.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It's a sidequel. A spinquel.

DL44Jo, TX-20, DarthCricketer and 2 others like this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But why does it matter?
    The important thing about this film, as it stands now, isn't the Anthology part. It's the story. And the story is a direct "prequel" to the original one, so it isn't really wrong to call it one. "Anthology" - whether or not this word will still be used - is a quite arbitrary lable anyway.
    The "actual" prequels are part of the main Saga, whether people like it or not.
    I'd prefer it if people simply referred to the PT as "Episodes I-III", or "The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith", rather than the more dismissive "the prequels", now that we'll have more prequel movies.

vncredleader and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Of course it's a prequel. Just not part of the Prequel Trilogy.

The Regular Mustache likes this.