main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a Prequel?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 12, 2016.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I get that sentiment though I see SW as such a massive franchise that you can have something for everything. We can have a comic, books, movies, games, and whatnot for each era. You can get half of all the stuff for the ST and OT and still be overwhelmed while some of us can get just the stuff involving characters who's last name starts with the letter Q. I have been disappointed with the new canon thus far cause while I read the OT and ST stuff I like range in the eras I consume media from so I want an equal or at least solid representation for each era. You dont have to cut down the amount of OT stories just add more stuff for PT fans. maybe and ongoing and a few books per year and possibly a spin off film every other anthology film. Until we start of the St anthologies that is.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  2. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Rogue one is more of a Sneak-quel than a prequel! LOL

3. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Is Rogue One a prequel? Yes.
    Is it part of the Prequel Trilogy? No.

4. Silent Android

Jan 1, 2016

An inevitable challenge of making any prequel film (Star Wars franchise or other) is that the ultimate outcome is already known, and there is little room for major plot twists.
    Even if the PT were done with Oscar-level acting and directing, everyone already knew even before the first scene of TPM that little Ani becomes Darth Vader. So everything is just backstory.
    Now at the beginning of the ST, plot twists and cliffhangers are abundant because the ultimate outcome is not yet known.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

I've never thought of this as a problem at all. There are plenty of historical dramas, and biopics, where we know what ultimately happens at the end. How the story is told, and what happens to the characters in between the beginning and end, is what matters most. And in that space, there's plenty of room for surprises.

For example, will they all die in the process of stealing the DS plans? We don't know.

Davak24 and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Imagine if Episode I took place in the middle of the Clone Wars, Episode II was the end of the Clone Wars, Anakin's Fall and the Birth of Vader at the very end, and Episode III was essentially a version of Rogue One...showing Vader and the Empire at their absolute peak, but the Rebels get their first victory by stealing the DS plans.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

I'm glad that didn't happen, as I imagine Edwards is going to tell a better story in Rogue One than Lucas would have.

Duke Vadewalker likes this.
  8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    RO is a direkt prequel to ANH, but not part of the PT trilogy.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What would be interesting about that?

Such a scenario would miss out on the development of the clone wars, cut short character development in a significant way, miss out on Palpatine's whole plot to take over and have a whole movie with very little content or drive. It's one thing to have a spin off that tells a very specific part of the story in a bigger way, but that wouldn't work as one of the numerical episodes. There would be little connection to parts II or IV, and the story-telling would have to be altered significantly to make it at least a somewhat decent fit. Rogue One couldn't be anything like what we are currently getting.

The whole point of a prequel trilogy was to see Anakin turn to the darkside and have the Republic turn from peace into chaos and towards a dictatorship. If you start in the middle of the clone wars, you have none of that.

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    If M. Knight taught us anything, it's that twists do not a movie make.
    Seemed to work our pretty well for Titanic.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I believe it is a prequel to A New Hope and a Sequel to Rebels!

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I’m looking at Rogue One as a prequel to ANH. So, yes.

13. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Its a Sequel to the Prequels!

14. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I have a theory maybe that Jyn is Rey's mom and she turns bad due to all the stuff that happens to her in Rouge One and in part thats how Rey gets abandoned because even the teaser they teased her as who will you become? that makes me think that she could turn bad.

15. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    Half-Half it is between Ep3 Ep 4 so i guess its on the middle ground between the prequels and the original trilogy

16. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    It is everything the Prequels should have been.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, it most certainly isn't. It's one tiny glimbse at a side-story. You might as well say that the entire sequel trilogy should be about how the Bothans dealt with all the losses they had to take while stealing the plans for the second death star.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  18. Silent Android

Jan 1, 2016
    It's a prequel (lower-case "p").
    But it's not a Prequel (upper-case "P").

GregMcP and weezer like this.
  19. Silent Android

Jan 1, 2016
    Felicity Jones is 32 and assuming her character is about the same age, that would put her in her late 40s when Rey is born. So, doesn't seem likely.

20. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Since it takes place before ANH, it`s technically a prequel. [face_dunno]

21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  22. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    My thought is could Rogue One be considered as "A New Hope Part 1" and and ANH as "A New Hope Part 2" ?

23. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Who cares if it's a prequel, give me more Star Wars movies regardless, keep pumping them out Disney!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is exactly the kind of sentiment that I am fearing will dominate the conversations, hype, and reviews surrounding Rogue One.

And there are still plenty of PT haters/deniers/ignorers who would champion the idea that these pre-ANH anthology movies should and will take the place of the PT.

For one thing, the PT happened, it's not going anywhere, people need to get over themselves and just enjoy it for what it is.

Secondly, I think it would it take away from enjoying the anthology movies on their own merits if a growing number of people are determined to see them and have others see them as replacements for the PT.

AshiusX and Darthmaul208 like this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Add some Space-Chipmunks, and call it a Squeakquel.