main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One a Prequel?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 12, 2016.

1. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Now nobody knows how the movie will end, so they may leave it open to a sequel. But let's just say Rogue One is a HUGE hit (not TFA numbers), but still finishes as the #1 box office gross of the year? Should they end it sort of like The Original SW in 1977, where it can be a self-contained movie, yet the possibility of a sequel or sequels?

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm pretty sure there's a thread for this, if not then it could be discussed in the main thread for Rogue One.

Nevertheless, my opinion on this is: Why not? As long as there is a good, compelling story to tell. And it doesn't necessarily have to feature Jyn as the lead - Rogue Two could have Cassian as the lead.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Rogue Two? I guess someone has to steal the plans for the second Death Star. But wasn't that Bothans? Oh well, retcon.

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Bothans are basically the GFFA's answer to elves: Pointy ears, slender with very few males having beards. They could be relatable to a movie audience.

How about having Cassian leading a group of bothans?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes! If this is really good and the characters are ones we all want to see again - Give the crowd what they want...Rogue Two!

6. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Isn't the sequel called A New Hope? haha

I'm pretty sure there won't be any characters left living to craft a sequel. Cause if any of them survived I think they'd be pretty upset that Luke, Han and Chewie got the medals in the end

TooMuchBBQ and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah because of course we need to see a Bothan massacre.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No. I don't think any of the standalone films should receive sequels, but that's just me. Finish the ST. Tell some stand-alone- stories, then tell a new trilogy-length story in a different time period. Shake it up, keep it fresh.

9. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

chewie never got his medal ;)

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I originally thought the same thing. It seems like there are soooooo many opportunities out there for anthology movies. Even with the multiple threads here we're only scratching the surface of what there could be.

That said, when this was brought up before, another poster changed my mind on it. I think there is room for both. I also think, as you and I have discussed in another thread, that if they do move to a 2x schedule on anthology films it gives them even more room to work with both.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think if any of the characters survive to the end of the movie we should see them again in other films. Say an anthology film that takes place between Episode IV and Episode V. That's something I'd like to see, for every Episode of Star Wars, there's an Anthology film that fills in some of the background story with non-lead characters.(Rey, Finn, Poe, etc)

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm all for it.

13. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Wouldn't ANH be the very sequel you suggest? I thought i read the ending of R1 will lead us up to the moment we see the Tantive IV geting scooped up and boarded by Vader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, yeah. But people are talking about sequels that follow the main characters of Rogue One. That could go in directions that the OT didn't. For example, the flight from Yavin IV to Hoth between ANH and ESB could form the political background of a Rogue One sequel, and Jyn (and perhaps others) could be involved in an important mission within that context. Or, perhaps, the second film is all about Jyn and company freeing her father from Imperial clutches. Or something else. Honestly, the possibilities are pretty endless.

Jonipoon and Poor Greedo like this.
  16. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hopefully the Anthology films will remain stand-alone. If Rogue one is a runaway hit it can be followed up in a Rebels/Rogue One series.

I hope we don't see a a Rogue One-Part 2

PymParticles likes this.
  17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Let't wait and see how Rogue One does first.

18. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    My fault, I misinterpreted the thread. That all sounds pretty wonderful, actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    its only a prequal if vader tells the director he wont fight on the sandy beach.....

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Vader walks down the ramp of his shuttle and stops cold as he sees the sandy beach for the first time.

Vader: Sand... why did have to be sand.

He returns to his shuttle and leaves immediately. :p

21. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    [face_laugh]

raefinnpoe likes this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it a sequel to the last released prequel.

We last saw Vader in ROTS from a release standpoint and here he is in Rogue One almost 20 years later.

As with Star Wars from a certain point of view everything before TFA is a prequel especially if TFA is the first movie you saw.

The OT is a sequel to the story of the PT.

In pure production terms of course the first movie is ANH so anything before that is a prequel and anything after a sequel.

Is ANH a prequel to TESB?

I would have to say no as it's part of the same trilogy cycle which is PT, OT and now ST (though I expect that to be a hexology).

He didn't even bother to go to Tatooine in ANH. He already knew the bloody stuff was there and didn't go back in ROTJ either.

This will be why he's really enraged in R1.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes, that's a good idea... Perhaps a new storyline arc that branches out from Rogue One and focuses on the survivors engaged in other battles unrelated to what we see in the main trilogies, albeit with some connection in the end...

The SW Galaxy is so big, it can't just be centered on the Skywalker family + their acquaintances, and what happens to them anyway! :p

24. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003