main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is Rogue One an 'Adult' Star Wars Film?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jan 3, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The purpose of this thread is not to bash the prequels. Neither is it to bash any other Star Wars movie, or any of the people involved in making the films. Are we clear?

2. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    All Star Wars movies released in Malaysia (TFA, R1) are "adult" oriented because of the PG-13 rating... But unlike the more straightforward good-vs-evil theme of TFA, R1 has blurred the line and is definitely focused on territory suited for older adults, with its emphasis on war, heroic sacrifice, and plain tyranny.

Still, it's the perfect blend of these elements that made R1 the critical and commercial success it is today!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I'd disagree with that statement, the OT did often deal in broad strokes when that was appropriate(and perhaps sometimes when not as with Han/Leia post Jabba in ROTJ) but it could also be much more subtle. Luke's story in ESB and ROTJ for example I think spends along time building up the drama and motivations in a much more subtle fashion than your typical heroes quest and this ends up being key to the saga's success.

I find that the PT for the most part fails to do this, it tries to deal with dramatic issues with broad strokes that needed a subtler hand them to really be successful and as a result fails to sell its central dramas effectively.

As far as Rogue One goes I wouldn't say that the rapport between the group as a whole is the prime focus of the film, I think the drama around Jyn and Cassian and there relationship to each other clearly is. You have supporting characters and the Rebel movement as a whole that plays into this but besides K2 I don't think these characters are really defined by there relationship to the leads. Indeed I think Chirrut and Blaze are an excellent model for quickfire subtle character work in there relationship and manage to develop quite a strong drama behind it with quite limited screentime as a result.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016
    R1 is more targeted towards older fans, and blurs the Rebel Alliance's morality a bit more, but it is by no means "adult". The movie had plenty of humor (i.e. "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"), and K2SO was clearly a kid-appeal character, though more intimidating and snarky than most. Kids can watch it perfectly fine; they just have to be brave kids.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Are "adult" films supposed to be devoid of humor?

6. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    IMO it's for both, by my 8th viewing adults and kids were seeing it.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, hardly any kids my first couple viewings.. None (?) opening night i believe! But last time i saw, there were a few.

8. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Really I guess afternoon viewings in my area was a must at the time.

SateleNovelist11 and B99 like this.
  9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Opening night where I was had tons of kids. The ending got quite the reaction from some. :p

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Describe!

11. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    A lot of gasping and heavy breathing. Some kid below me covered his eyes.

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Lol, thats kinda funny... In a way!

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    One of my former roommates once said of Batman Returns: "Tim Burton made an adult film." I had a laughing fit. The title of this thread reminded me of that.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Is not an "adult" movie.
    It can be safely watched by anyone who is 12+ years old.
    The Force Awakens is the only movie from Star Wars series that can be watched by children.

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Personally, I don't think that I'd let kids see R1. Teen on up.

I don't think TFA is a children's movie either; there's some pretty disturbing stuff in it. ANH and TMP could be seen by children, IMHO. Everything else I'd wait.

16. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly though I think this kind of attitude is actually what the Abrams/Marvel style is mainly desired to cater to rather than children, adult audiences who have a negative view of fantasy adventure taking itself too seriously.

Darth Nave likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I think it's not, becuase is not a R movie, this in the future will be epic:D

19. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

"R"-rated Star Wars? Don't. Even. Go. There.[face_phbbbbt]

Hyrum_Solo likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We need an edit of the Vader massacre at the end of RO with John Carpenter's Halloween score inserted over it. It automatically becomes an R rated film. :p

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Why can't children watch ANH?? Couple crispy bodies too graphic..?

22. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm watching Grandma's Boy and it reminded me of the conversation we had not too long ago, specifically about how I no longer think Kylo Ren is all that badass of a character, and how he reminds me of a character named JP from above said movie. Anyways, here it is in a nutshell:

MOD EDIT: While funny, it is also features disallowed words and non-family friendly content.

Keep in mind this movie came out in 2006, an entire decade before TFA. I'm not in any way suggesting that this had any influence whatsoever on the creation of Kylo Ren. But you can't deny the resemblance and likeness, not just in appearance, but also in the childish immature antics and attitude. A lot of other people that I've talked to online and in person who are familiar with Grandma's Boy also agree. And really, if you think about it, just based on what you see in this clip, if Grandma's Boy had been released after TFA, the character of JP would most certainly and undoubtedly be considered a direct parody of Kylo Ren. The movie isn't about JP, he's just a character in it. Overall it's a fairly decent stoner/video game/nerd movie set in Los Angeles. It had its audience, I'm not gonna lie, there was definitely a time and place in my life where it was fitting to enjoy such a movie. And when I first saw TFA I wasn't really thinking beyond what I was watching unfold, but after a couple more viewings it just kind of clicked as to why I felt a certain familiarity with unmasked Kylo.

So with that comparison already in mind long before RO was released, something that I simply cannot unsee, and going back to my original point, that now also after having seen RO, TFA seems a bit of a joke in a lot of ways, it just makes it that much easier for me to not take Kylo all that seriously right now.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Pro Scoundrel:

Can I try to find a clip that doesn't include any of that and post it? Or can you re-insert said clip into my previous post, and then delete this post, just to keep continuity in the thread? I think it is worth noting the similarities between characters and would like to provide an example of it.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    As long as there are no profanity or sexual references, you can post another clip.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Eh, nevermind. I can't really find a comprehensive clip that doesn't include at least some of that. Nor do I want to load up this page with multiple clips of smaller scenes. It's not that important.

Just if anyone is interested, there is a character in a comedy film from more than 10 years ago that if he were to appear in a film today it would undoubtedly be considered a direct parody of Kylo Ren. It's funny to watch and make the comparison because you simply cannot deny the resemblance in both appearance and behavior. It's from the movie Grandma's Boy, but I guess you'll just have to look it up on your own if you're not already familiar with it.

The only point I am trying to make with this is that this comparison had already made my view of Kylo Ren a little less than believing in what he is supposedly trying to be in TFA. I was a big fan of this movie several years ago, and when I see Kylo sometimes I can't help also seeing the character I mentioned above. And in keeping with our previous discussion, that, along with also now having seen RO and not being able to not compare the two movies, only compounds the fact, in my view, that the SW writers have a lot make up for in trying to portray Kylo as the big baddie he is supposed to be.